Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: Pairs Round 1

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Jul 20, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2012.
  1. Belousova/Protopopov

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Rodnina/Ulanov

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Rodnina/Zaitsev

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Valova/Vasiliev

20 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Gordeeva/Grinkov

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Kazakova/Dmitriev

22 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Sale/Pelletier

97 vote(s)
    55.4%
  10. Totmianina/Marinin

21 vote(s)
    12.0%
  11. Shen/Zhao

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Okay, now for the Olympic Champion SURVIVOR!

The rules are: vote for the weakest link. For the first three rounds, we'll eliminate the bottom two. After that, one at a time. Other than that, there are no rules.
  2. Blair

Blair New Member

I'm always amazes at how people insist that Sale and Pelletier are so terrible...or at least terribly inferior to their rivals.

IMO, the strength of their elements alone puts them near the top of this list.
  3. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

:soapbox: I hope Sale/Pelletier and their fake gold medal go first :lynch:
  4. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Can someone explain to me why so many people hate S/P? Besides the gold medal part.
  5. skateboy

That's the only reason.
  6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

S&P were definitely voted out too quickly in the other poll, ahead of teams with no Olympic medal and only 1 world title (and even those who do not agree that S&P should have won in SLC surely must believe they deserved silver). However, in this poll, their record does put them near the bottom. Their OGM was originally a silver. They only have 1 World title. R&Z have 6; Protopopovs, R&U, and G&G have 4; V&V and S&Z have 3; B&S and T&M have 2. Only K&D lack World gold, but their OGM win is unquestionable (except the German judge :rolleyes:). S&P have no other World medals.

Based on their records, K&D and S&P would be eliminated this round. Obviously, there's other factors to consider, and S&P do have some great pair elements and a few memorable programs. I would rather watch them over Rodnina and partners or S&Z, myself, and I did not vote for them this round. But I don't think they're hard-done-by if they go first in this poll.
  7. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:huh:I had no idea that was the reason I disliked them so much! :rofl:
  8. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I think a lot of people here find even S/P's best performances too sugary for their liking.
    ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

I just hope the winners of this game are the Protopopovs! :D
    (I'll also accept Rodnina + partner as a second choice.)
  10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

We all know it'll be G&G. Ho-hum.
  11. satchelpooch318

Aww...no disrespect to Sergei, of course.
  12. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

fake snowball choreo
  13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yes please
    Anyway, I don't hate them exclusively for their fake gold. It's also because of her unsportsmanlike conduct when the marks came up and their boring recycled program with no choreography and transitions. And the fact that they fell in the short program and shouldn't have placed second.
    Also I didn't like Orchid. I still can't understand why everyone thought it was so amazing.
  14. skateboy

Really? I loved them, but they're not my first choice.
  15. Blair

Blair New Member

For all the criticisms of S/P, aren't Kazakova/Dmitriev or Totmianina/Marinin worse on all counts? Technique, choreography, skating skills?
  16. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

No Totmianina & Marinin have way better skating skills. I don't really care for pairs skating that much. I guess the choice is between Gordeeva & Grinkov or Rodnina & Zaitseva for the win.
  17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Sale & Pelletier. Unlike the other poll it is even easier to vote for them first this time as they are truly the weakest pair on the list this time, in addition to the biggest jerks.
  18. judgejudy27

Totmiana & Marinin are way stronger jumpers, and overall stronger technically than S&P, although S&P did have stronger lifts and a stronger twist. I dont see S&P beating them often or ever under COP had they continued. I also think Totmianina & Marinin once matured had better lines and superior basic skating, and S&P's choreography was just as simple for the most part.

Kazahkova & Dmitriev? Both S&P and K&D werent around very long and skated under different times so not really sure how they compare. S&P are worse jumpers than pretty much every top 10 pair of any modern era, Jamie can barely jump at all, even though Oksana had some jump issues at times. S&P had harder lifts and stronger death spirals. I prefered the choreography and programs of K&D personally.
  19. judgejudy27

1. Many of us believe they were clearly favored by politics and being propped up for 2 seasons bring to the SLC games. At some events they would even make major mistakes and beat a clean Bereznaya & Sikharulidze which is ridiculous. They managed to go undefeated except for 1 minor event for 2 years despite Jamie almost never doing a competition without atleast 2 major jumping errors over the 2 programs combined.

2. Their sportsmanship is terrible and hit its apex in SLC.

3. They had one signature program which makes them look like a one trick pony.
  20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Kazakova and Dmitriev. I'm too much of a Sale/Pelletier fan to vote them out at this point, although I probably should by at least the third round.
  21. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Co-signed!

They just do NOT belong in the list, they're not real Olympic Champions so it's only logical that they're eliminated ASAP.
  22. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Ditto. :p
  23. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

People need to start voting for the actual weakest team, and not the team with bad sportsmanship. In terms of elements, S/P should be perhaps top 5 on this list
  24. Blair

Blair New Member

Agreed! If we aren't judging these teams on skating ability, why have this discussion of a FS board?
  25. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I voted k&d. I'm still traumatized by the sp death spiral attempt. :yikes::scream:
  26. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

skating ability? s/p? i dont think so
  27. satchelpooch318

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Easily Sale/Pelletier, since they never should have been (dual) Olympic Champions anyway. Olympic gold should be an honor, not an entitlement. :shuffle:
  29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

but lots of people think s/p is the weakest team
  30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Lots of people weren't even born when Kazakova and Dmitriev (among others) were competing. Or if they were, they're too young to remember anything back then. :shuffle:
  31. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: re that current total of 87 for S/P, which I'm sure will go even higher before this is over.

Make all the straight-faced, "I'm being fair and judicious" arguments you want re S/P -- those hypocrites who are making them (and I don't think everyone against S/P is a hypocrite, but some are). Most are obviously getting their point across and their anger out with their vote. Nothing has changed from poll to poll or thread to thread. Clear as night and day, when it comes to S/P on FSU, it's always gonna be a :lynch:

Are S/P the most exemplary human beings on the planet, of course NOT! But IMHO, saying they were "unsportsmanlike" at SLC or at any competition is simply tantamount to smearing all skaters with that label who show any hint of disappointment in the Kiss 'n Cry after skating their absolute best under the pressure of a huge competition. S/P were clearly disappointed, and then they accepted the results with obvious unhappiness but with resignation too as all skaters are conditioned to do and obviously have no choice but to do (unless they are going to pull a Surya Bonaly fit of pique on the podium -- which I think her mother instructed her to do and that's maybe partly why she was crying. Sure not every skater is sportsmanlike in losing and there are other examples with Plushenko coming immediately to mind. ;))

It was NOT S/P who complained and pressured the ISU, it was the Canadian Federation, the media, and the words of the commentators. S/P were caught up in that whirlwind, and they handled it IMHO as best they could, with the realization that they were caught up in a political maelstrom and had no control (as skaters clearly never do) over what had happened either before or after they skated, nor over what would be the final outcome. Did they feel like they should have won the gold, and were they on some level basking in all the media attention, definitely yes! But I'm not so sure they were completely overjoyed about the ultimate outcome. In every interview that I heard S/P give during the debacle, they always praised B/S. Neither pair had any choice in the matter, as the final resolution was devised and sanctioned by the ISU to appease the IOC and the media, not the skaters, and not their Federations.

:rofl: at all those people who dump on and hate S/P but absolutely love and worship CoP!!!

IMO, while Totmianina/ Marinin had exquisite line and beautiful technique in the Russian tradition, they exhibited no visible emotional connection with each other on the ice, nor did they ever manage to make a distinctive and palpable connection with the audience. Outside of a couple of their early programs (West Side Story, and The Cotton Club -- with Tatiana of the edgy haircut), their skating while beautiful was fairly uninteresting and unimaginative. I commend them for the way they came back after that freak fall on a lift one season. I actually think what they experienced in the aftermath of that incident made them stronger as a team, but their skating still was never very exciting -- they never built upon the earlier edgy excitement of West Side Story and The Cotton Club.

IMHO, T/M's skating was soul-less -- their deep hunger, enormous desire and soulfully driven determination seemed to always be kept under wraps when they skated. What makes the best of the Russian/ Ukrainian (i.e., Soviet) pairs skaters so great is how they were able to unleash their passion and combine it with great line and technique when they skated. Currently, I see this unleashing with the team of V/T and the still junior team of Devankova/Deputat.

ETA: I don't feel that K/D had the gorgeous line and superb technique of T/M, but K/D definitely displayed way more passion and connection when they skated.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  32. judgejudy27

Which elements. Jamie had the most pathetic jumps by perhaps any top 5 pairs lady ever, other than maybe Isabelle Brasseur, their spins were weak, footwork and spirals also weak. Good twist and throws but not explosive or spectacular. Lifts and death spirals were best elements.
  33. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

As we should all be comparing the Olympic performances of all these pairs. S/P at olympics LP had perfect elements, their was nothing weak about them ( except perhaps footwork, but it was 6.0 so it doesnt matter). Everyone talks about them doing the easy throws, yet so did Shen/Zhao and Tot/Max and many more. In IJS they would have been top 5 on this list
  34. judgejudy27

SLC is one of the only times EVER Jamie landed all her side by side by jumps. She usually only managed 1 triple toe or double axel combined out of the 2 programs. Since events were fixed in their favor for 2 seasons people forget they won almost every event, despite usually never being able to do a clean competition due to Jamie`s pitiful solo jumping. So in SLC for once they managed a solo triple toe clean in both programs for once, good for them for the rare miracle. Even so it was tiny jumps by Jamie, and poorly matched due to the low quality of hers. Their throws were fine difficulty wise and good, but definitely not the power and strength of some of the other top pairs since 2000. Those 10 or more years earlier are an unfair comparision, except for their own time they were stronger.

One doesnt jump compare Olympic performances. Sarah Hughes probably had a superior Olympic winning LP to KRisti Yamaguchi, so is she a greater Olympic Champion.
  35. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The only reason Jamie started landing her jumps is becuase she started heavily pre-rotating them on the take off. The "double" axel was more like a double salchow.
  36. aftershocks

Hmmm, so the poll is about Olympic champions, but then not really about their Olympic performances. By "one doesn't jump compare," it seems you are talking about yourself, as everyone obviously has varying opinions based on all kinds of factors when it comes to figure skating and survival-type skater elimination polls.

Sale's landings on the throw jumps at 2002 Olympics were superior to those of Elena. And, when it came down to the nitty-gritty pressure moment of the Olympics, S/P did not falter under nerves, whereas B/S did at more than one Olympics. You can call what S/P accomplished in their Olympic performances a "rare miracle," but "miracles" do not happen without hard work, desire, belief, talent and inspiration. S/P were able to make their nerves work for them, while B/S particularly in their fp struggled a bit to overcome their nerves. This was apparent in the small mistake re Anton's fallout on a jump, and apparent in the tension (lack of effortless flow) of Elena's throw jump landings.

ETA: :lol: re "events fixed in their favor" in reference to S/P, when we all know there was "fixing" going on at SLC, and not in S/P's favor.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  37. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Easily Salé & Pelletier.
  38. aftershocks

^^ And E-Z will definitely do it every time when it comes to eliminating the dreadfully despicable and despised S/P in polls on FSU! :lol:

My last standing survivor list from the pairs teams in contention this time around, obviously based on my preferences and perceptions, and who cares already ;)

G/G
    The Protopopovs
    R/Z
    R/U
    M/D
    B/S
    S/Z
    S/P
    K/D
    T/M
    V/V
  39. love_skate2011