Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 1

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Jul 20, 2012.

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2012.
  1. Sjoukje Dijkstra

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Peggy Fleming

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Beatrix Schuba

38 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Dorothy Hamill

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Anett Poetzsch

25 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. Katarina Witt

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  7. Kristi Yamaguchi

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. Oksana Baiul

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. Tara Lipinski

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Sarah Hughes

91 vote(s)
    41.0%
  11. Shizuka Arakawa

18 vote(s)
    8.1%
  12. Yuna Kim

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Okay, now for the Olympic Champion SURVIVOR!

The rules are: vote for the weakest link. For the first three rounds, we'll eliminate the bottom two. After that, one at a time. Other than that, there are no rules.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

:sarah1: is one of my favorite ladies. Even so, I voted for her.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lynch: :saint:

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Sarah was the second to go in Champions survivor rounds, so she'll be out in this first round:rolleyes:

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

And three votes for Yuna already? Wow!

6. skateboy

I don't think Schuba deserves to be voted out early... her free skating was meh, but her figures were far and beyond what any woman or man ever achieved in that aspect.

7. falling_dance

I feel the same way. Two World silvers, two European golds, two World golds, Olympic gold, and reputedly the best compulsory figures skater ever. She was a respectable fifth in Grenoble (a great event IMO), and had to beat an all-rounder like Magnussen and a prodigious talent like Lynn in order to win in Sapporo. That makes her an all-time great in my book.

That said, I can understand why her vote count is so high right now, as the discipline in which she excelled is no longer a part of ISU competition.

8. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Sarah or Oksana...Sarah or Oksana...? HMMM...

9. skateboy

Save Schuba!!

10. falling_dance

Respect for Trixi! :mitchell:

11. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Schuba skated like a truck driver so i voted for her.

12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wtf Anett Poetzsch deserves to go this round. She was way behind technically when compared to her competitors. She did a frickin' double loop-double toe when her competitors were doing double axel-double loops and triple toe-double loops in the SP.

13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

So Michelle Kwan won't win this poll?:)

14. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

FSU will find a way to make that happen
    Anyway, I voted for Sarah who disguised UR double salchows as double axels

15. skateboy

Sarah gets no love around here. She had a very good double axel.

16. Macassar88

There was a huge prerotation and underrotation

17. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I agree with you guys. I used to be so upset about my idol Janet Lynn not winning, but over the years, I have come to respect Schuba's extraordinary talent and how she dominated the scoring system in which she competed.

For me, it's a no-brainer, it's Oksana Baiul. She had the potential to be one of the greatest ever, but she was gifted the gold too early for a long program that was choreographically crappy and not all that well performed.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I wish people would stop saying stuff like that about skaters' jumps. :rolleyes:

19. Macassar88

I wish the skaters would stop doing these things. It isn't all skaters that do them, so it's a matter of good vs bad technique. Skating is a sport and needs rules. Not penalizing prerotation is like allowing false starts in track/swimming.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The great Trixi Schuba was probably the greatest compulsory figures skater ever at a time when figures was over half of the competitive score and had been for decades. That already makes her greater than half of the skaters on this list of great skaters IMO.

I know she probably wont go this round but my vote is easily for Annette Poetzsch. She isnt that good a skater and won in a really weak year, probably the weakest ladies field ever from 1977-1980 is where all her titles came. She was the best figures skater of her time, but not one of the best figures skaters of all time, and just an ok free skater, and very inconsistent, usually bombing atleast 1 program per major event, and did in Lake Placid with the short program.

21. skateboy

Fair enough, but while I'll be the first to admit that Sarah had her share of less than fully rotated triples, it's simply not true about her double axel, especially the one in her Oly LP.

22. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I too voted for Poetzch, because I don't think she was getting enough votes and is weak enough to be eliminated this round.

23. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I voted for Hughes. But can we not vote off Schuba she rocks and Poetzsch needs to stay around too. How can you not like Germans that beat the terrible Americans ;;;)

Oh and while Witt has the two Olympic Golds and multiple world championships. I think the winner should ultimately be Hamill.

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oksana Baiul. Granted, I don't know much about Poetzsch, Schuba, or Dijkstra.

25. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

:confused:Sarah's double axel was easily her best jump. Very good height and distance and great flow coming out of it

26. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Schuba was the most awful freeskate skater... I voted though for Hughes, because Slutskaya should have won that Olympics (Hughes was way overscored for her UR jumps and Slutskaya should have won the sp and because of that she would have won the gold medal).

27. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Poetzsch: Cheesy Frau Muller clone. 4th in SP (should have been 6th) and 3rd in LP, she won due to questionable insurmountable lead in figures.
    Schuba: clunky free skater who won because she was/is the undisputed queen of figure skating. It's a travesty she's losing this poll to Poetzsch.
    Dijkstra: another clunky free skater who none-the-less completely dominated skating for 4 years: Oly silver, 3 WCs, and OGM she was like completely undefeated for 4 years.

28. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Bauil.

29. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

At last a poll kwawn cannot win!!! :cheer:

30. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

There'll be a sizable write in vote for the Kween at the end. :slinkaway