Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: LADIES Final Results!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

The voters have spoken! The ultimate OLYMPIC CHAMPION SURVIVOR in LADIES is (drum roll)..........

1st place and Gold Medalist: KATARINA WITT

2nd place and Silver Medalist: DOROTHY HAMILL

3rd place and Bronze Medalists (tie): YUNA KIM and PEGGY FLEMING

5th place: KRISTI YAMAGUCHI
    6th place: TARA LIPINSKI
    7th place: SHIZUKA ARAKAWA
    8th place: SJOUKJE DIJKSTRA
    9th place: OKSANA BAIUL
    10th place: ANETT POETZSCH
    11th place: BEATRIX SCHUBA
    12th place: SARAH HUGHES

So, would you ranked the champions any differently? Any wuzrobbing going on here?

2. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Were it up to me, Schuba would've remained in the game a lot longer and Fleming would've won. Kim would take the "silver".

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Horrible results IMO. Kim, Hamill, and Yamaguchi should have been the podium in any order, although I could have lived with Fleming or Lipinski on it as well. Schuba should have finished somewhere in the middle around 6th, the greatest compulsory figures skater ever deserved more respect. Witt I would have had around 8th or 9th.

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

My rankings would be:

1st: Kim
    2nd: Witt
    3rd: Lipinski

4th: Schuba
    5th: Fleming
    6th: Hamill
    7th: Yamaguchi
    8th: Arakawa
    9th: Baiul
    10th: Hughes
    11th: Dijkstra
    12th: Poetzsch

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

On a brighter and funny note, here in this poll, Yuna made the podium, yet again! :lol: Her music choices have just been announced and I hope she continues her streak of records of being the only one to make podium in every competition she's entered!

6. judgejudy27

I wonder how Kerrigan and Sumners who each lost Olympic Gold by .1 would have fared in this game. I imagine they would have been voted off right after Hughes probably.

7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

MICHELLE KWAN!

8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

.:slinkaway
    I was wondering why Michelle did not win this poll. Then I remembered.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So happy Witt got her deserved win even with all the haters she has here. :respec:

10. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Im not a Witt hater, but i dont believe she deserved to win this.

My opinion would have been
    1: Kim (because she had the best olympics performances of all time)
    2: Dorothy
    3: Lipinski ( although not dominate throughout her short career, her Olympics performance was brilliant)
    4: Witt ( although IMO technically weak, her presentation was #1 )
    5: Fleming
    6: Yamaguchi ( not the perfect performance but a solid performance, however i wish midori had won)
    7: Dijkstra
    8:Arakawa ( although she didn't need too, i wish she did her 3-3 combinations instead of playing it safe )
    9: Schuba
    10: Baiul ( although i really liked her short from olympics, the rest was boring and extremely weak technically)
    11: Poetzsch
    12: Hughes ( won of my favourite olympic performance, but because of her short and lack of a dominant career ive placed her last )

11. query5

query5 New Member

my list would be
    1) peggy
    2) katarina
    3) dijkstra
    4) Yu-Na
    tieDorothy Hamilli
    6) Kristi
    7) Beatrix Schuba
    8) Shizuka Arakawa
    tie Tara Lipinski
    10)Annette Poetzsch
    11)Oskana Bauil
    12) Sarah Hughes

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

If we are voting only for the Olympic gold winning performance, Yu na and Tara should rank very high. If we are voting for skating skills, artistry, and domination in their era, Katarina, Peggy and may be Dorothy should rank high. Kristi's OGM performace, despite two major mistakes, was quite strong. How many ladies have landed a 3L-3t combination in their Olympic LP? Just two (Kristi and Yu na).

Overall, I don't have a problem with Katarina winning this poll, but I am just a bit surprised because I thought she was hated on fsu, and I thought Yu na was the most beloved so she would win.

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

sorry; double post. :wall:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It must have been Kat's fabled telekinetic ability to stare down her competitors and cause them to break that boosted her to the top step of the podium. I don't think any of the voters want to get on her bad side. Kat was like Brooke Shields and Stephen King's Carrie wrapped into one fierce package. :EVILLE:;):p

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

IMO Yuna has both disadvantage and advantage being the only one who's currently competing. Surely she's beloved by many but there're also many haters like it has always been for any skaters with successful career in their time. Not to say that Yuna's third place in this poll is a big scheme of things, of course. I think it's an honor for her to stand so high among some of the most amazing and iconic olympic champions, which is well-deserved for her class.

16. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Yuna gave away two WC titles

17. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Actually, she had a chance to win every World Championship she participated in. Defending and repeating World titles seems to be a rarity for ladies these days. If Yuna won every World title from 2007-2011 there's no doubt she would have won this poll and be considered the greatest ladies skater of all time.

18. flipforsynchro

^i think in 2010 and 2011 she could have easily gotten first. In 2007 wasn't she injured and same in 08? And I agree, if she did win 2007-2011 she would be one of the greatest.

19. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Yes, she was injured in 2007 and 2008 but she could have won both titles.

She won the SP in 2007 and if she skated a semi-clean LP, the title would have been hers.

In 2008, she fell in the SP but won the LP and was only like 2 points away from winning the whole thing.

Looking back, I think she won at least one segment of the competition in all the Worlds she participated in so winning was within reach all those times.

I agree 2010 and 2011 should have been easy wins for her. Hell, even 2012 would have been a cakewalk for her.

So she could have hypothetically been a 6 time World Champion but as we all know, winning more than one World Championship is extremely tough for ladies.

20. judgejudy27

It was actually missing the triple lutz at each Worlds from 2007-2011, most times more than once when one less miss would have done it, minus 2009 that cost Yu Na winning the title all those times, yet in the poll on this forum who had the best triple lutz ever Yu Na was the winner ahead of Ito and Harding. :lol: Suddenly Witt winning a best as best Olympic Champion skater doesnt seem so surprising anymore.

21. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

She didn't miss a triple lutz at all at the 2010 Worlds. She messed up the flip in the SP and fell on the salchow in the LP.

22. Vash01

How about Mao and Miki actually WINNING those? They did what it took to win.

23. Vash01

Excuses excuses..........if if if..................

The only thing that matters is what she did in the competition.

By your logic, Michelle would have two OGMs- if only (fill in the blanks)

24. flipforsynchro

I'm just saying she COULD have easily won those two titles, not that she was nice and decided to give them to Mao/Miki. I'm not a Yuna fan, I'm just saying that she gave away two WC titles that she could've easily won.

I think you might have interpreted what I wrote differently

25. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That's more how my list would have looked.

26. judgejudy27

Miki's "winning" skates in 2011 were probably the worst in 20-30 years. She didnt win so much as survive the others. Yeah she did what it took to win that night, which wasnt much of anything. :lol:

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

It wasn't that bad. Although I do think Miki was over-marked, her LP really wasn't horrible. I think once it became clear Mao wasn't going to be a factor at those championships, Miki became the beneficiary of pro-Japan politicking.

28. Vash01

There was no pro-Japan politicking. Miki got it done. Yu na (and others) did not.

29. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:respec:

:rofl: You're so exaggerated.

30. Vash01

Worse than Jill Trenary in 1990? Oksana Baiul in 1993? Annette Poesch (sp?) in the 1980s? Yuka sato in 1994?

Miki did more than any of these ladies (and I say more than Yuka, despite Yuka's sublime basic skating).