Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: Final Round PAIRS

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Aug 16, 2012.

?

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2012.
  1. Belousova/Protopopov

81 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Gordeeva/Grinkov

70 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Here we go, the final round for the ultimate OLYMPIC CHAMPION SURVIVOR -- Pairs!

In Round 6, we said goodbye to:

3rd place: RODNINA/ZAITSEV

Vote for the weakest link!

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

While the Protopopovs are admirable for competing at an old age, one of the reasons I didn't vote them out earlier, G/G got one OGM and then managed to come back and win another one a decade later against a team (M/D) who had already won the OGM as well. Not to mention their collection of world titles!

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

G&G did not come back a decade later; just 6 years later. Katia was 16 when they won their first OGM and she was 22 - in her prime- when they won their second. Their second OGM was not without a controversy. G&G won the same number of world titles as the Protopopovs (4 each) and fewer than Rodnina (she won 10!). The Protopopovs greatness is not just that they competed at a relatively advanced age (in their 30's) but because they completely changed the way pairs skating was done. Before them, it was all about doing the elements; they turned it into an art form.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

G&G are for me the best ever. So, my vote goes to Protopopovs, even if they are an amazing team.

6. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I ADORE both pairs - to me, they are both the greatest pair teams in the history of the sport.

But if I have to choose one as THE greatest, it has to be the Protopopovs in part for the reasons Vash notes above. Ludmila didn't even begin skating until the age of 16, same age as when Katia was when she won her first Olympic title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Protopopov

Protopopovs 1984 World Pros artistic program - Ave Maria - the first time at World Pros that a competitor was awarded all perfect marks. :swoon: He is 51, and she is 48 here.

As far as Katia and Sergei, it is sad that we are left wondering how much G&G could have accomplished as pros had Sergei not been taken from us at such a young age. :(

G&G - The Man I Love :wuzrobbed

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The incredible Protopovovs largely made pair skating what it was today (or should I say what it was before pairs skating went to the dogs under COP).

8. Vash01

Exactly.

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That's true, not quite a decade.

10. skateboy

Voting closes Sunday evening. Will it be the legendary Protopopovs or the wonderful G & G?

11. skateboy

Okay, that clinched it for me. Still doing SBS double salchows at that age and those incredible death spirals! :kickass: And it's just beautiful skating. I truly love Katia and Sergei, but -- Protopopovs for the win!

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

The Propotovs were the Real Legends and innovators
    G/G were more hype, so I voted for them

come on people vote G/G :mad:

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Besides, who but Oleg ever lost his toupée while skating, and just picked it up and stuck it back on without missing a beat?

14. skateboy

Really?? When was this? :yikes:

(Hard to imagine having the balls to skate wearing a toupee to begin with...) :)

15. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

The Protopopovs revolutionized pair skating and the way it is performed and competed, especially in terms of death spirals. What exactly did G/G do, other than beautiful pair skating in general, to advance the sport?

16. Vash01

As much as I love G&G, I don't see them as a pair that revolutionized pairs skating. They were beautiful to watch though.

The Protopopovs revolutionized pairs skating (so for this poll, I voted for G&G to be eliminated) and although I am not a fan of Rodnina-Zaitsev, they took the sport to another level, with their daring lifts and speed,which at that time was new. More recently, Mishkutenok-Dmitriev had a bigger impact than G&G, IMO because of their innovative choreography and Artur's contribution to the emotion of the performance (he was not just a frame to the picture; he was a part of it).

17. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

NOOOO Gordeeva/Grinkov winning :eek: :(
    come one people the Propotovs revolutionized pairs skating
    and they had the longevity, and even until this day can still wow us
    G/G had refined skating but that's it !

haven't we had enough Balsphemy when Yagudin won the mens poll ?

18. unicorn

unicorn Member

In this case, mention of longevity makes me sick.

19. skateboy

Less than 7 hours to to get your votes in!