Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: Final Round MENS

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Aug 16, 2012.

Who is the weakest link?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2012.
  1. John Curry

96 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Alexei Yagudin

90 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Here we go, vote for the ultimate OLYMPIC CHAMPION SURVIVOR -- Mens!

In Round 6, we said goodbye to:

3rd place: BRIAN BOITANO

Vote for the weakest link!

2. skateboy

I think this is a tough one. Yags is a terrific skater, but Curry, I believe, was a phenomenon of his time, paving the way toward real artistry in mens' skating. Plus, he was one of the pioneers of professional skating and created iconic programs in that field, not only for himself, but for Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, Janet Lynn and many, many more elite skaters.

So I voted for Yags to get second.

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

John Curry out; no one equals the Yags.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

John Curry gets my vote for sure. He isnt even the best free skater of the 70s considering Cranston and Cousins.

5. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

I know it's impossible that anyone but Yagudin wins, but I still voted him out. I adore John Curry!

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Same here.
    I know Yags is impressive. But John was perfect in every way !

7. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

^^This.

8. Nan

Nan Just me

They come from such different eras, this is really hard. I love them both. :(

9. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Curry was freakin amazing

10. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I voted for Curry, but still I guess he'll win this. And it's okay. :cool:

11. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Waaaaaaay too close to call either way. I'm personally pulling for John Curry, but I predict Yags wins this by the slimmest of margins, maybe by 1 or 2 votes. And that's very cool for me too. :)

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Curry set a bar that I think has not been surpassed since his time of skating. Yagudin was fantastic in his artistic expression, great jumps, great passion, but basic skating skills (and this is figure SKATING, not figure jumping) are not near Curry's. It's a toss-up between exquisite and explosive, and either one would be a worthy winner. That said, I've voted for Yagudin to go out the past few rounds, and vote him out this one too (and I'm a big Yagudin fan, but that's just how good Curry is)

13. skateboy

This race is a nail-biter! Get your votes in: poll closes Sunday evening!

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

This is so close! I hope it ends in a tie.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I voted for Yagudin. Curry's skating transcends time. Take away the jumps he is still a fantastic skater. Take away Yagudin's jumps he isn't nearly half as competitive.

16. skateboy

Less than 7 hours before the polls close!

17. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Posting Curry's exhibition skate to Scheherazade is all I can think of to do.

18. Vash01

19. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yes, it was. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Sorry- I love him too, but that really put me to sleep. I had to bail 3/4 of the way through. Give me some Yags passion! I know Curry did many other skates that were more dynamic. Just a matter of personal taste! I think I watch so much ballet and see so much similar - I think I expect skaters to be more forceful, fast, explosive because they CAN. Skaters have the ability to use so many other physical gifts and resources to make different kinds of visual images than gently wafting about the rink, lovely though it is. Of course, wafting around is perfectly legitimate and beautiful. Maybe I'm easily bored.

Don't get me wrong-I'm not criticizing Curry-I think he's one of the greatest skaters of all time. But it did make me wonder about the differences between skating and dance, and how skaters have this glorious freedom to fly higher, faster, and with more excitement because they ARE skating and they can use the physics of skating to propel them! Which to me, dance fanatic though I am, puts skating in a very special place. And yes, I saw the jumps, but it looked like Curry was trying too hard to be a ballet dancer than a skater, and to me, that wastes a lot of opportunities. But nothing wrong with it-in fact, very lovely. But...Don't mean to offend anyone! Don't mean to trample on sacred territory. No disrespect.

20. flipforsynchro

I like him so much because of his lines. Some people who are generally perceived as really good artists have the most disgusting positions and it just kills the mood. ^

21. Holley Calmes

Oh, he has beautiful lines. He's gorgeous. That particular skate just didn't capture me but that's just me.

22. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I like your post! (Particularly 'to make different kinds of visual images' part.)

What I too have always thought similarly.
    A reason why I am not impressed by balletic skaters except Curry.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  23. Vash01

I almost always give very high marks to difficult jumps, athleticism, but Curry's skating is transcendental. It just flows, and he pays attention to the minutest detail. I can never get bored watching perfection like his.

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

As I remember it, artistry doesn't mean much to you at all, so.... I don't think you're the one to speak about it.

I would have wanted Curry to win. Yagudin - that's so predictable. But not only that - I too am one of those who think that his artistry and skating skills are overrated, although otherwise he was really impressive indeed. About Curry - I do understand Holley Calmes, and partially agree, but I think the thing is that Curry is deeper than just balletic. It's not just the form, it's also content.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  25. Holley Calmes

I totally understand what you are saying. I do not know the intricacies of skating like I am sure you do, and therefore I can't appreciate the finer elements of Curry's skating. But I believe you that they are there! Also, I am sure seeing him live would've made a huge difference. I have watched other of his vidoes, and although he is totally beautiful, I find him somewhat bland.

Also, although I am a huge Yagudin fan, I do not think Alexei was so much of an artist as an interpreter of choreography, and there is a difference. However, I connected with Yagudin's heart-he threw it out there. You could see his passion clearly, his determination and his fighting spirit which connected to his choreography by the choices that were made for him. It made me love him and want him to win. Curry is beautiful but I'm not connected. It's just a personal thing-no judgement on "who's the best!"

26. flipforsynchro

I said lines, not artistry. I've always loves extension and pointed toes, which Curry always has. And I'll admit I really do like his artistry, since it's more simple and less random arm waving and bending over.

27. lauravvv

I was refering more to this: "Some people who are generally perceived as really good artists have the most disgusting positions and it just kills the mood." I don't think you're the one to say about positions killing the mood, since creating the mood is also about artistry, and, as you don't care about artistry much, you shouldn't be caring about the "mood" either.

Artistry is not just positions, lines, and so on.

28. flipforsynchro

I know that. I'm just saying that some people who are "artistic" portray it through random arm movements and unnecessary bending over

29. lauravvv

I, for one, don't regard most of such skaters as artistic. I suspect that Takahashi is one of those skaters in your book, but there are many programs where he doesn't do that, and even when he does, those "random" arm movements are surprisingly musical :). As for "bending over", I am not sure if I understand what you mean by that. Is that what Chan does sometimes? I personally have nothing against that type of movement, but I don't cosider him artistic either - at all.

30. Vash01

True, but Curry was not just about lines and positions. He interpreted the music wonderfully, while weaving the moves seamlessly, and holding the positions and lines which added to the musical interpretation.

Yagudin expressed the music very well and had great speed, power and athleticism, but that little component of lines, positions and seamlessness was a bit weak in his skating. May be the jumps had something to do with it. Chan is better at it, but he does not express the music as well as Yagudin did, and he is inconsistent with the jumps.

They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, but it is hard for me to find any weakness in Curry's skating (of course he did not have to do that many jumps back then).