Olympic Champion SURVIVOR: DANCE Final Results!!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Aug 16, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

The voters have spoken!! The FSU ultimate OLYMPIC CHAMPION SURVIVORS in DANCE are (drum roll)...........

1st place and Gold Medalists:

TORVILL/DEAN

2nd place and Silver Medalists:

KLIMOVA/PONOMARENKO

3rd place and Bronze Medalists:

GRISHUK/PLATOV

4th place: PAKHOMOVA/GORSHKOV
    5th place: ANISSINA/PEIZERAT
    6th place: BESTEMIANOVA/BUKIN
    7th place: LINICHUK/KARPONOSSOV
    8th place: NAVKA/KOSTOMOROV
    9th place: VIRTUE/MOIR

Do you agree with the results, or is there "wuzrobbing" going on here? How would you have ranked the champions?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Since it is a game about the Olympics mainly I dont think T&D should have beaten G&P (2 time gold medalists) nor K&P (3 time medalists). All 3 are all time greats though.
  3. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I thought it was about the champions themselves, not the Olympics. ^
  4. skateboy

There were no rules. Some people voted on actual Olympic performances/records, others voted for overall career performances and still others voted for their favorites (or against their non-favorites).

My own opinion: Virtue/Moir in 9th (last) seems wrong to me. I would have had them a couple of places higher and I would have ranked Linichuk/Karponossov last. Other than that, I must say...

What an incredible podium!!
  5. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Torvill & Dean have an excellent Olympic record though.

5th in 1980
    Gold in 1984
    Bronze in 1994 10 years later.

They completely dominated in 1984 and arguably would have dominated post 1984 if they wanted to as well. And we know they're good because 10 years later they were back at a level as good as anyone.

And neither of those others dancers received perfect 6.0s either nor are they as iconic.
  6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I agree with the winners but I think V/M should have been ranked above L/K and N/K.
  7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Excellent but not as much as:

G/P- 4th, gold, gold

or

K/P- bronze, silver, gold

and I agree they could have easily stayed in and won in 88, and I would have expected them to at the time, but it was their choice not to. Yamaguchi could have probably won 5 or 6 Worlds in a row and the 94 Olympics, and Fleming probably could have won 7 Worlds in a row and the 72 Olympics, but they dont get credit for doing that.

I do think T/D might be the best dance team ever, just not the greatest Olympic team ever. Anyway I am confused at the inconsistency. It isnt all about medals or Olympic results fine, but if it is about skating as opposed to Olympics wins or medals then why on earth is Katarina Witt on the verge of winning the ladies. Due to her superior quality of skating and not her 2 Olympic Golds. :lol: :lol: It seems people flucuate on what is important in the voting.
  8. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

v/m shouldve placed higher, say at least higher than b/b.
  9. skateboy

As is the case with pretty much any poll on the FSU boards. ;)
  10. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

I think the results of the top 3 are correct. I am not a fan of Grishuk, but you can't argue 2 Olympic golds, even if I disagree about the one they won in 1994.

IMHO T&D and K&P are the two greatest ice dance teams in history, but T&D get the slight edge from me because of how they advanced the sport between 1980 and 1984. And all perfect scores for presentation at the Olympics Games? Unheard of until they came along.