Oksana Domnina - New Interview

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ostile17, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

BittyBug, hanca, LynnW and 3 others like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I am glad she is not ready to say it's over. She is great. She was the star of a all the women ice dancers last season! Even more than Meryl Davis!

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Thanks for the translation :)

4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this link and the translation. :cheer2:

Could you kindly change "pairs" as "ice dance" in the first sentence?

5. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

While I feel both V&M and D&W as teams are on a league of their own in the current world of ice dancing, if we judge only the female dancers Domnina is IMO superior to both Meryl and Tessa. I still can vividly remember her at the CD in Vancouver after all these months, she was FIERCE and on fire.. Shame about her circunstances though.. She is like the Barbara Fusar-Poli of this last quadrennial, not letting her much weaker partner stop her way to the podium:D

6. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Maksim was definitely the stronger partner upto his series of knee injuries.

7. caseyedwards

I was going to say that Shabalin was great until his injury which caused him to be a lesser skater-I mean on skill level he was a million times greater than Margaglio.

That's very true about Domnina in the CD though. Blew everyone else away!!

8. ostile17

English is not my first language so bear with me: are you suggesting I should change it to "in couple"? Or something else?

You're more than welcome, everyone!

9. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

With her level of skating the way it was in this quadrennial, up to 2008 and maybe even in 09, I would say she is slightly superior to the other ladies, or at least among the top female ice dancers. But last season, even with her partner's injury she wasn't even close to the same level of skating she used to be capable of, so how she can be the 'star' of all the ladies last season is beyond me. still, her Olympic CD is something i'd prefer to remember her by, one of the last glimpses of her previous greatness a couple years ago. ;) So tender but powerful.

Great interview though! I actually love her straightforward, no-nonsense responses to those questions. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

His series of injuries was a real tragedy for ice dancing:(... I remember them in the 2007-2008 Grand Prix and they were still kicking ass and I thought for sure they would be Olympic champions..:(

11. caseyedwards

I loved her performance in the free dance more than any other performance by any other other woman in program in ice dance last season! Only Meryl in the Bollywood OD comes close to what Domnina did in that Double Life of Veronique Free Dance. It has been a major problem of mine that I never remember Tessa Virtue after Virtue and Moir perform.

12. ostile17

Yes, but you have to understand that she had to slow down for Maxim, and she was skating for both of them!

Still, despite it all, they had no rivals in the CDs!

13. caseyedwards

On a technical level this is true-she had to work a lot harder and was still the most charismatic woman in ice dance!

14. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

English isn't my first language either so maybe I misunderstood you. In the beginning of the article you call them "2010 Olympic bronze medalist in Vancouver in pairs with Maxim Shabalin". I understood this as the pairs discipline, instead of ice dance, so I thought it was a lapsus.

Sorry for nitpicking. I really appreciate your translating this article. :)

15. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting and translating the interview ostile17 .It is good to know that both Oksana and Maxim retired with dignity and satisfaction.Maybe it wasn't the way they,ve imagined it 4-5 years ago but considering Max's troubles it was as glorious as if they won the Olympic title.Good luck to both of them ♥

16. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Very classy of her to praise the Olympic champions as she did.
    Thanks for the translation.

17. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

No, just "with" would do.

18. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Domnina and Maxim are classy human beings. They both went through a lot during last three of four years, yet they handled themselves very well. Kudos to them for that and fighting till the very end. i will miss them a lot.

19. pumba

pumba New Member

I never was their fan until the last season when all 3 programmes of theirs became my favourite among all the couples that season. Their so elegant, passionate and mature CD, the funny and really original OD (now when the Olympics are over and the proper teams got Gold and Silver - are there any offended left?:rolleyes:...), and their so tender and emotional FD.
    But surely this is their classy attitude that attracts many, I guess. They both are beautiful people on and off the ice :)

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks for translating/posting! :)

So I guess the pregnancy rumors aren't true! I hope she does skate with Roman in a few shows... they'd have some hot chemistry and that's really missing from dance today.

I liked her comment on V&M. I think/hope she is right... their style looks really good on them because they are freaking brilliant and their skating skills are so pure, but that streamlined, romantic style really does not work on lesser couples, and it's not a trend I want to see.

21. ostile17

Nitpicking is good!;) Thank you and TAHbKA for your help!

22. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

Really classy of her indeed. Both she and Shabalin are great ice dancers and very good people, never looking for excuses or badmouthing their rivals. Interesting that she's never had any injuries throughout her career. IIRC, Maya Usova stayed injury-free too. Pity, neither of them won an Oly gold.

23. Yvy

Yvy New Member

Their tango both at the Euros and the Olympics was my fav dance of all that season. I saw it live in Tallinn and it was just magnificent. So much more powerful and smooth at the same time than that of any of the other couples.

24. Sk8tn

Sk8tn New Member

Their OD was and is still deeply troubling. The camp approach to another culture with no real effort to understand that culture is a profound problem.

I think in the last couple of years, the best way to enjoy D&S was in the compulsories, where you can see how good they really are, without the impact of unfortunate choreographic choices. Even if L&K were a good technical and personal match for D&S through their struggles, perhaps an outside choreographer would have given them programs that would have suited them better.

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the dramatic and classical Russian style necessarily works better for teams with 'lesser' skills either - unless the skaters try and hide their weaknesses in the drama.

26. pumba

pumba New Member

Whom does it trouble now I wonder? :D They did skate it during the Russian ice shows and nobody complained. It was clear from the start that after the Olympics - noone would remember that case :). All was just another media stir to build up interest prior the Games :coffee:

27. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I don't imagine the Australian Aborigines feel quite this way.

28. pumba

pumba New Member

Interesting that all indignation disappeared right after the tournament. We see no notes of protest or anything close to the hysteria that we saw prior the Olys :rolleyes:
    Just to rememebr that time - the last thing Oksana and Maksim needed, considering Maxes ruined knees, prior the most important tournament in their lives was to have that kind of attention to their personas. Oksana and Maksim managed to bear this with dignity and showed no hesitation or disrespect.
    I have no intention to revive this topic for 30---> pages, I just say what I think of it.

29. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

And I totally agree! I like their OD, at least it wasn't boring like almost 99% original dances we saw this year. And I can't even imagine how hard it was for Oxana and Max, it makes me like them even more and I already miss them so much...

30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Yes I miss all of the three D/S teams so much .:(