Oksana Domnina and Roman Kostomarov married and pregnant

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ostile17, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

http://www.dzd.ee/?id=294772

Congratulations to them on their wedding and the arrival of a new baby.
    Wishing them a long, healthy and happy life together.

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Congrats to them!

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I reject the notion that they were bad in Vancouver! Totally reject it. Tabloidy writing. Would she be Oksana Kostomarova?

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

How nice! I wish them the best!

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Somehow I missed that Domnina retired...I'm assuming Shabalin did too?

ps congrats to her :)

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

When they apparently had expectations of winning gold, going in as the current world champions, I imagine that ending up in third place would be a "bad performance" by some standards.

7. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Kostomarov said he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child? :eek:

Who says romance is dead? :shuffle:

Congratulations to them!

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

My thoughts exactly, Asli. Blech. Let's hope they had a private ceremony because we know he had a thing about bridesmaids...

Sorry to be negative... love her, can't stand him, even if that's irrational. I do hope he's matured and they make it work... they've been together several years now, so that's positive. Can't wait til she's ready to get back on ice with Maxim/Roman/new partner/celebrity show/soloist... whatever. :D Best wishes to both! :cheer2:

9. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I don't think they ever officially announced their retirement. As far as I know, they said they would not compete this next season in order to allow Shabalin's knees to heal and then decide about their future.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I was hoping the "if she would give him a child" was some kind of colloquial usage that just didn't translate well. Somehow I'm having trouble thinking of her as a broodmare.

11. silverstars

silverstars New Member

My thoughts exactly! I kind of hope that there was something lost in translation there....

Best of luck to the couple!

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I hope the same, but his reputation doesn't give me confidence... :shuffle:

13. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I would translate it the same - last year, Kostomarov said that he would marry Domnina if she would give him a child, wrote "Express-Gazeta."

Let's hope that he was misquoted or it was taken out of context. :shuffle:

14. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you ostile17 :)
    I wish this is the truth or at least prefer to believe that Kostomarov is not a neanderthal . Anyway we can't expect to much from an article posted in "Gossips" but to write that D/S placement at OG was unsuccesful is plain stupid .
    Here is similar material ,where the info about the pregnancy and possible wedding was pretty much copy-pasted and mentioned Kostomarov,s participation in "Dance on Ice" .

http://www.dni.ru/showbiz/2010/8/2/196416.html

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

A lot of people think it's not important to get married until you start having children. Maybe that's what he meant.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. DzD is just another trashy unreliable "publication" that are common in the post-Soviet environment. It is not a good idea to judge anyone based on "quotes" from this kind of... trash. I don't know what else to call it. Most of these sites re-print information published somewhere else - and add their own headlines and spin. Often with made up or twisted "quotes." I urge people who translate Russian language pieces to indicate the nature of the source. Komsomolskaya Pravda and Sovetskiy Sport are the only two sources I would trust (but not unconditionally!)

Also, the article calls Oksana the "civil wife" - which means that they live together but are NOT married.

PS. Just to give you a sense of what this site is, one of the headlines is "Because of the abnormal heat, Moskovites are not hanging themselves as often." With a picture of a noose next to the headline. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  17. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

The Russian expression used isn't that bad although it still sounds ridiculous. But this "quote" came from the Russian gutter press. "Express-Gazeta" is the worst kind of tabloid imaginable.

jtpc, PeterG, my little pony and 3 others like this.
  18. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

In an interview from a couple of weeks ago, she explicitly said she's not retiring, and is not sure whether or not she'll compete again. She said it's just so hard after all this time to simply say "that's it, I'm done" But she said either way she's for sure not competing this season.

I highly doubt we'll see her competing again though, tbh

19. IneZR

IneZR New Member

Congrats to Oksana and Roman! I bet they'll have an incredibly good-looking baby! ;)

20. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Probably. Most young women in Russia on their first marriage would not have it any other way. It gives their marriage more “legitimacy”, if I am explaining it correctly. It’s still an honor, in the “old traditional” sense when a Man gives a woman His Name.

Plus it’s easier for all members of one family to have 1 Family Name, for sake of children and other every-day specifics. In Soviet days for a woman to keep her own family name after marriage would be a beaurocratic nightmare, and “everybody” would think that “something is wrong in that marriage”…. unless she was a Film Star or Stage Celebrity.

Irina Rodnina and Irina Slutskaya, are very few who kept their own names, and are exceptions….. plus they are both jewish and more “matriarchal inclined” than “whipping-willow” Russian girls with more patriarchal upbringing.

Oksana is crazy in-love with Kostomarov, she’ll gladly take his name.

Actually, regardless if the article presented the phrase accurately or not……. In the context of Old Russian Traditions, it is very romantic.

This means he is serious about her. So serious that he considers her worthy to be the Mother of his Children.

It’s also can be looked at as he is bribing her to give him a child…… which is also “in the old world context” an honor for a woman, to see a man eager to have a child with her. Usually it’s the other way around….. the girl wants a child sooner than later, and the young man wants to wait…..

There are many fairy tales in Russian folklore where a Hero of the Story would select his wife (a Russian Maiden) based on how many “Healthy sons she can give him”.

There is a famous poem by A. Pushkin, The Tale of Tsar Saltan.
    http://home.freeuk.com/russica4/books/salt/saltan.html

The Tsar dresses like a commoner and sneaks around villages to gather what folks say about him.

The Tsar eavesdrops on 3 beautiful Maidens who are chit-chatting about “what if I married a Tsar”. One would cook for him a feast. Other would weave him a Golden Cloth. But the third one would give him a Strong and Brave Son (heir).

The Tsar marries the 3rd girl……… :lol:

I had to live in Russia with this notion of “giving a child to the man you love is romantic” almost one-third of my life…… That’s why now whe I see a child 10 meters away I ran in the other direction…. :D

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  21. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

Congratulations to them!

I'm a little confused about the term "civil wife"...what does that mean?

22. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

It means they live together, but are not married

23. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

I've assumed they had only a civil ceremony and didn't marry in a church.
    But seeing Natasha Miller's post I am not so sure now.

Edit: The post above me confuses the hell out of me. Not for its content, though. :D

24. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Or could be commonlaw = living together.

25. You are correct. "Civil wife" = common law wife. Living together but not married. A civil ceremony would officially make them husband and wife; a church ceremony is not required for that.

26. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

I am very well aware of that.
    I thought the mag wanted, for whatever reason, to distinguish which ceremony had taken place.
    I see I was wrong.

27. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. :)

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.

28. maureen_diffley

maureen_diffley New Member

You are technically correct about the term "grazhdanskaya zhena" (civil wife), but the media routinely use that term for live-in girlfriends. It's also common conversational usage. Domnina & Kostomarov haven't had any kind of wedding ceremony at ZAKs (civil) or place of worship as per public record, and in interviews don't use the term "wife"/"husband".

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  29. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

How easlily people speak about another country's traditions, based on folk stories, poems or so-called personal experience, when in fact they know a little or nothing about the topic.
    If my man told me: "I would marry you if you give me a child", I would tell him the f-word very politely and trust me many girls would do the same. Many modern Russian women don't want to be treated only as mothers. They want to be treated as lovers, friends, supporters, etc. She is the one. Kostomarov's words are actually quite rude and selfilsh. But he had a history of a brief marriage. Who knows what his reasons are.

30. Sabrine Tornston

Sabrine Tornston Member

Did you miss the part where Natasha and others explained that the source is not legit? That the quote attributed to Kostomarov is supposedly something he said. To whom? Uncle's best friend's cousin? It is not referenced (Kostomarov said in this article ... link ...) and is not posted as a direct quote. Sounds like bs to me. :lynch:

Lets not jump rip someone apart over a trashy unprofessionally written piece of crapolla.