Oksana Baiul's expanded lawsuit against William Morris (now WME), SAG & others

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Oksana Baiul's latest lawsuit is making headlines again - 2 articles:

http://www.thewrap.com/gold-medalis...sues-wme-others-170m-alleges-widespread-theft
    Courthouse News Service article: http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/10/11/61964.htm

Original GSD thread about the earlier lawsuit that was filed in 2011: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...lliam-Morris-Endeavor-Agency-(threads-merged)

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

$ 56 million ? I hardly believe..

3. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

So, WHO is Olympic Champions and Ukrainian Financial Group? That would be interesting to know.

4. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

This has now reached the bizarre status. Her lawyers will get what little she has left. Not sure who is advising her

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Desperate much...

7. dots

dots Well-Known Member

:eek:

8. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

Yikes. Poor Oksana. I hope she can find happiness. It is so easy to do for all of our past individual histories and play the "what if" game. But I really do wonder if things would have turned out much better for her if she had been 1994 Olympic silver medalist.

9. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Or if her mother had not died. She just was too young to handle money wisely, on the other hand it would surprise me if she would handle money any better today. I hope it is not her greedy boyfriend who has suggested her to start lawsuits?

10. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

11. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Oksana is an alcoholic. Maybe this would explain the behavior she exhibits as an adult.

12. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

13. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Well, just think, if she had won the silver, we would have an Olympic champion more bland and cringeworthy than Lysacek, then we would be the ones crying "Why. why..why?"

14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Bland, cringeworthy perhaps, but damn worthy of the title and in sports, the best of the night should win. That didn't happen in 1994.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean she is actually drinking. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic, they say, but you can go many many years without touching alcohol.

I think she is being taken advantage of. Isn't her new husband (fiancee?) a lawyer or her manager? It seems this all started when she met him.

16. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

If they got married, I didn't see an announcement anywhere. Her fiancee is her manager/agent.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I wish she would do something better with her life. :(

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

You mean an alcoholici like other skaters who were caught DUI (e.g. Yagudin)?

19. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The opportunity to capture headlines is but once every 4 years in this sport isn't it ;)

20. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow managing to shoehorn Yagudin into this thread was pretty impressive, even for you!

21. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Oksana has had many fiances over the years, but none have morphed into husbands.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  22. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

:lol:

I am skeptical of this man, but perhaps there is truth to this lawsuit which will come out in court. I hope for Oksana that she gets all the money that she earned (and that this new man doesn't take it.)

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It's no wonder she has problems with trust. She grew up not knowing her father, her entire family (mother, grandparents) was died between 1988 and 1991. She ended up living with her coach's wife (he had moved to Canada) and was subsequently passed on to Galina Smievskaya. After she finally reunited with her father, he died three years later.

That could leave you feeling vulnerable and insecure.

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I thought Oksana was living with Galina and Viktor P. when she first came to the USA?

25. jenniferlyon

At the time, the media made it appear as if Oksana was living with Galina. (IIRC, Viktor and his wife lived nearby.) Later, I read that Oksana actually lived by herself. But my mind is fuzzy on the details because it has been almost twenty years.

26. jenniferlyon

It really wouldn't surprise me if people were screwing Oksana out of her money. It happens all the time to Hollywood kids. Gary Coleman was the most egregious example, but I can name many, many others. In most of those cases, the kids' own parents were among the culprits. If some people are capable of doing that to their own kids, it doesn't take much imagination to see how other people would have no qualms about taking money from someone else's child, especially a recent immigrant who doesn't speak the language or know the culture and who has no one to protect her.

27. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:lol:

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

While I agree that it's probable she was screwed out of some money, I find the claims of the suit to be a bit OTT. This claim that SAG didn't credit her properly for roles so that she could be paid properly seems particularly specious as an example.

29. jenniferlyon

Yeah, those sum$ are rather large. That's the kind of money I'd expect to see for one of the Rolling Stones, not for a figure skater.

30. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I really don't remember seeing her do much from '98 on. A few shows, but she was just in them. So really how much $$$ did she make skating in COI for 5 or 6 years. COI had a lot of skaters could they have made millions a year? She's saying millions were stolen from her and I'm just shocked that she made that much. She did have a tragic life, but she also was one lucky girl.