Oksana Baiul sues William Morris Endeavor Agency (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Badams, Nov 21, 2012.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

She was an orphan with no coach for a year or so. That can't be invented. Maybe you are suggesting that she used that story as a crutch for too long into her adult years? That is possible but we will never know.

2. leafygreens

It does sound shady that her bf is her manager, but if he has already collected $9.5 million for her, he can't be such a bad guy - even if he sees dollar signs himself. What I don't understand is how that much money could be missing and she didn't even notice? Didn't she realize she was not getting paid for anything? Maybe she was so used to living in poverty, even a little bit of money seemed like a lot.

Thanks for posting! I really loved the Lillehammer medals. They were so pretty. Oksana's speech/mouth seems to be different for some reason. Still love her though.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Considering she seemed to have a fairly affluent lifestyle I am not sure that she was only getting a "little bit of money" (Wasn't it a luxury car she had when she got the DUI?) However, that does bring up a point. If the agency did things like buy her a car that would have come out of her earnings then she wouldn't get the 'cash' I know that happens.

I expect that she's not going to find the millions she wants but... the numbers sound to high...

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Agencies don't do things like buy people cars or even buy cars by instruction from talent - they are just supposed to deposit your money in your account. Hopefully, it's all the money that they're supposed to deposit! Proper talent agents do not deal in stuff or in-kind compensation - they collect money, take appropriate and contracted deductions and percentages, deposit the talent's share in the talent's account.

How she spent (and spends) is not their doing. To the degree anyone would work with an athlete on items purchased, budgeting, paying bills, all that - that would be a manager not a talent agency. Talent agencies do their work up front - knowing where the opportunities are, fielding offers, drumming up offers, negotiating contracts for the athlete, making sure payment (in all forms - airline tickets, etc.) is made.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

To preface what I say, I have no knowledge of the terms of the contracts that this lawsuit is addressing.

However, IME it's not uncommon for new managers to "discover" that their client has been allegedly underpaid or ripped off by their previous managers. It makes the new manager look good to be able to point out all the wrongdoing of the previous manager. And in some cases, the client genuinely has been ripped off, and the new manager is correcting a wrong that the client either wasn't aware of, or couldn't get fixed on their own.

In other cases, though, the new manager is reinterpreting the terms of previous contracts - to their client's benefit - and they money they get is basically go-away money from the companies who didn't actually do anything wrong but would sooner shell out some $$$ to be rid of the annoying manager. A very public and well-documented example of this is Allen Klein, who ran the Beatles' and the Rolling Stones' financial affairs for some time and managed to squeeze quite a bit of $$$ out of the record companies for them. However, he didn't do it as a public service - he took a hefty chunk of it himself, which is why both groups eventually ended up firing him (well, that and he lied to them both, but that's another story).

The point being that if someone claims they have collected money on behalf of their client - and AFAIK in Oksana's case this is claimed in the lawsuit, I don't know if it's been agreed on as a fact by both parties - that doesn't mean the money was genuinely owed or that the previous managers actually ripped off the client.

6. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I haven't read the article or thread, but my first thought was she must be having a tough time of it financially.

Such a sad story all around, sorry to see it end this way.

But the memories, those I'll never forget, the way she skated, the way she expressed herself, like no one else, totally unique, an original. To this day she remains my favorite artistic skater of all time. And ah when she was on her jumps just flew, the russian way, that huge 3L! :kickass: The speed, the power, the flow....memories....

7. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Oksana was also one of only a handful of skaters who could perform to ANY kind of music. Today, most people remember her for her classical programs (especially "The Swan") but that girl was completely comfortable skating to anything-- Broadway showtunes, Spanish flamenco music, Michael Jackson, Enigma, Aerosmith. You never knew what she was going to do next, and I mean that in a good way.

8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think 30% of earnings was pretty standard arrangement for Russian coaches back in the 1990s. We have seen other skaters mention this figure. There comes a point though where a pro skater really does not need the same level of time and attention from a coach, so they should switch to a different arrangement.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

To be fair, though, the first thing new managers do is review old and existing contracts and arrange an accounting review. While there's most often a "I can do better" aspect/message, it's a good idea to find out the history instead of starting from scratch.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I am concerned this story will eventually have a very tragic end. It seems headed that way. Does anyone know why Oksana separated from Galina and family? I suspect that was a bad move as both Galina and Victor seemed there for her. To be in the world without family is a dangerous place to be. Her birth family is gone and she doesn't seem to have been able to establish her own.

11. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

A couple more details from the courthousenews.com summary of the lawsuit: http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/21/52475.htm

12. leafygreens

13. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Why do you say that? It's a matter of finding out how much assets she has, how much money is coming in steadily, how much debt is owed, and probably downsizing and figuring out how she's going to make money from now on. She's loopy for sure, but not a complete wreck.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They were giving her money to people she had no legal relationship with. Or so the suit claims. ;)

It sounds like they were paying companies for stuff related to Baiul. That happens all the time.

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Ukrainian Financial Group at least has a website, but "Olympic Champions Ltd." doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on the Internetz except for in this lawsuit....

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It probably went out of business. :lol:

17. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Member

She has burned so many people I think this will put
    the nail in her coffin

TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

That's an extremely unfortunate metaphor. Hopefully she has a long and healthy life. As you reference though, she has burned so many bridges in the skating/producing community that she has very limited professional options going forward. I hope she can figure out something productive using her experience - the whole arc of her career is simply sad.

I'm a New Yorker where 'observe and criticize' is a competitive sport and I can be a pro, but honestly I wouldn't want a minute of OB's life, even the good parts. What I feel for her is compassion.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    TDsk8 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

She has it in her box at her home. I took a picture of her holding her other medals :oksana1: :)

20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I didn't think it was worthwhile to start a new thread for this lawsuit. :shuffle:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/judge-throws-oksana-baiul-45m-lawsuit-nba-article-1.1768296
    ETA:
    http://www.law360.com/articles/412770/figure-skater-baiul-seeks-5m-from-nbc-for-using-her-image

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Why must they keep using that green dress photo? Most of her red carpet/event looks are :eek:, but that one is particularly :scream:

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That green dress is probably an illustration of the sort of joke she has become to the media and those who care enough to pay attention to her.

23. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

I feel so profoundly sorry for her. Oksana's life is such a mess. She was a little angel that brought happiness to people. It's sad that things have worked out this way.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

25. VIETgrlTerifa

26. VIETgrlTerifa

Anyway, nice to have closure on the NBC suit.

BTW, I looked up the lawsuit against the William Morris Agency, which inspired this thread, on Lexis Nexis. In case anybody was still wondering, her suit was dismissed mainly due to the statute of limitations running out. She tried to allege a few things, but the SOL ran out on all of them. Oksana tried to get around the SOL by raising either legal arguments that would have made her exempt or tried to claim the SOL didn't run until she discovered the "wrongdoing" in 2011. The judge noted that Baiul failed to raise any facts to support her arguments. Although her suit was dismissed primarily for SOL reasons, that didn't stop the judge from saying, "The suit is frivolous and, frankly, bizarre" and declaring her suit was "wholly without merit."

I know there was one or two articles saying her boyfriend/manager recovered 9.5 million for her before she filed the suit against William Morris, but they didn't seem like they were from credible sources (or had the budget to really fact check). I didn't see it in the statement of facts section of the judgment and considering the odd behavior, I have to doubt that he really recovered that much (or anything) for her.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  27. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Tragic. Not so much that her suit got thrown out as that she brought it in the first place. But the thought of the lioness turning in her cage of debt, looking for an escape, is tragic too. God help her!

28. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Oksana seems like the Lindsay Lohan of skating. Sad.