Oksana Baiul sues William Morris Endeavor Agency (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Badams, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

2. LEO59

LEO59 New Member

3. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't her age at the time be more of an issue than her lack of English proficiency? An adult would know better than to sign a contract in a foiregn language without hiring a lawyer who knows both languages. A 16-year-old kid wouldn't have a clue, especially a recent arrival from the former Soviet Union.

4. Sabasushi

Sabasushi New Member

Also, who was her guardian at the time, if she had any?

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

IIRC her coach Galina Zmievskaya was her legal guardian in the US.

6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I will try to restrain myself. Galina, her "coach" and "mother surrogate" took 30%, then Oksana's agent's/PR took another 30%. OFF THE TOP. Before taxes. She made very little. I thought she was with Lipinski's agent Mike Burg at the time?

I think it is horrible that a 16 y/o depended on Galina and the ones she was paying a percentage when she's in a new country, can't even speak the language. But I guess that's how business is in the USA. Her DWI wasn't a help, but I never thought she ever had help. Christ she was a 12 y/o orphan for all she knew. All she knew was the ice rink.. I'm glad she won Oly gold. Her life is a story about survival. 100% in her corner.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I blame Galina :cool:

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

When she signed with Farina in 2011, they announced she was embarking on a Global return after four years of semi-retirement.
    Anyone know how that turned out.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Good grief, did she actually sign that contract without an English speaking attorney advocating for her interests and explaining the contract language to her??? If she did it really sucks that only now is she realizing what a mistake THAT was.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I think Oksana has run out of money.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

August 2012 news posted on the Farina Company website:
    http://www.farinaco.com/index.php?o...ducing-russalia&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=63
    Excerpt from the beginning:

13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't doubt she was taken advantage of financially. I hope she gets a fair shake in all of this.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Wasn't Tara Modlin also Oksana's manager for a time?

15. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

I wonder what is the normal % an agent take? 30% does seemed a lot.

16. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Agents take 10%. 30% is outrageous. And another 30% to Galina? She got screwed. How crummy that a 16-year-old orphan without English language skills had no one advocating for her.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Agents get 10%. But if the person is her "manager", there is no set percentage.

18. Alex Forrest

Yes, I was getting ahead of myself. Agents usually take from 10-15% commission, but then you have publicists, managers, etc. It was rumored that Galina was getting 30-40%, but I'm not sure if that was at the same time as the management with someone else, though it was supposedly Mike Burg who arranged the $1.5M deal for her competitions right after Lillehamer, and Galina was absolutely in the picture at the time. So both got a piece of her.

19. overedge

Look at this company's list of clients. One of these things is not like the others....

http://farinaco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53

Oksana might have been ripped off by previous managers when she didn't know any better, but surely she should be more savvy now. And given this company's apparent expertise with skating shows and representing skaters (ie, none), it looks like she's headed for another financial mess.

20. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

21. overedge

22. Alex Forrest

Sometimes it's worse, other times it's good to be that close to your manager and $$$. It's difficult to know who to trust but I for one would rather keep it in the family so to speak. Tough situation.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think Oksana's problems now are a reflection of the lack of support she had way back when. It's a shame that everyone wanted a piece of her and no one taught her the skills to make it on her own. She can spot what went wrong last time, but if she can't identify it off the top, she'll wind up in the same situation over and over again.

24. overedge

If the business part of it goes sideways, it's even more difficult to sort out if you're personally involved with the manager. And you never know when the business part might fall apart.

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She doesn't seem to have the knowledge/skills to keep it from happening over and over again.

26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

This is just so sad and criminal on so many levels, I don't know where to start. Due to that, I'll just say I've always liked Oksana and have always been pulling for her and her happiness that she deserves after all she's been through in her life.

27. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

What happened to her husband(s). The first one seemed down to earth and had his own career. He told her skating was what she did not who she was, in an attempt to get her to develop some other interests. I wonder if he turned out to be no good or she is just too damaged to trust anyone.

28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Just for the sake of the other side..... I don't know what standard agent fees are......but Galina took her in, supported her, and all (IIRC) without any financial help. I don't think it is horrid that she received a portion of Oksana's earnings. And, if Galina was her guardian, was not that relationship sanctioned in the US - in which case, as a minor, Oksana's arrangements would have (I think) been overseen by a family court judge (but maybe that is just for young actors).

What a drama her life has been.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

doesnt galina still have her OGM? if yes, i think that says a lot about her.

30. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

Burg wasn't Oksana's agent, but she did do a series of shows/pro comps for him. Her agent after she won the Olympics was a man named Michael Carlisle, who was with William Morris at the time. Before then, Oksana's agent was Michael Rosenberg, who handled many of the Tom Collins tour skaters. (Yeah, that's a lot of agents named Michael. And no, I didn't remember all this off the top of my head; I had to go look some of it up.)

True, the DWI didn't help, but Oksana had already been exploited for years before that happened.