Off season chitchat: US Ladies (have at 'em! love 'em! etc.)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, May 8, 2011.

1. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

On twitter, she tweeted she's engaged: http://twitter.com/#!/melbulanhagui. Also a charming photo of rose petals spread out to say "Forever & Always"... I'm assuming either her or her man/fiance arranged that? ;)

2. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Congrats to Melissa! That's so nice. :)

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek: :lol: Oh, I did not realize that. She's pretty young, but I'm so happy for her! :)

I think this will probably put an end to her amateur skating career, though.

4. modern_muslimah

Why does it have to put an end to her amateur skating career? Irina skated for years and won two World titles while married to her husband.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if Melissa is as serious a skater as Irina Slutskaya. Irina was the best of the best, and Melissa, while very talented, is a middle of the pack US Nationals skater. Melissa won't be winning world medals any time soon.

It's quite well possible she'll want to pursue a job and a different life path now that she will be married and she has someone else to think about, in addition to herself. Then again, it's possible she will continue. Though, I'd imagine it will be harder.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Isn't Jenna Mccorkell continuing to skate? After all, she's married too. And she's also not "winning world medals any time soon"...

7. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

She is.

Unfortunately. :p

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

which part? not winning world medals...or being married? :D

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Neither.

That she's still skating.

10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:lol: womp womp.

Anyway, someone said above that they didn't think Mel B was really engaged. But her tweets indicate to me that she is, because afterwards she tweeted a pic of her and her boyfriend (now fiancee, apparently) with the caption "in love".

11. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

She also previously tweeted, "I'm engaged!" which I think is slightly more indicative of that conclusion ;)

12. modern_muslimah

Yes, Irina was one of the top ladies in the World and it's unlikely that Melissa will ever reach the same levels that Irina did. However, someone else mentioned Jenna McKorkell in this thread (as much as her skating might bore a lot of us :lol:). She's also married and still competing. If Melissa still wants to competes, I don't understand why marriage would stop that. Of course, there will be some changes but spouses can still pursue the same careers, goals and hobbies that they had before getting married. Plus, as long as her fiancée is supportive, I don't think being an amateur skater has to be harder for Melissa.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  13. gotice

gotice Member

Congrats to Melissa!

Has she announced a date too? Maybe she's planning a long engagement, maybe not...? Either way, she must be so happy!

14. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Melissa's fiancee is in the armed forces (don't know what section) and is about to be deployed to Afghanistan, so I don' think the wedding is super imminent. I also don't see how being engaged/married would interfere with her skating. Congrats and best of luck to the happy couple! :)

15. RD

RD Well-Known Member

oh yeah, that too

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well, if I was an elite skater I would rather spend more time with my husband than at a skating rink. Competing at such a high level requires a lot of time and a lot of dedication.

I hope she does continue. I enjoy watching her skate

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

More "fun with numbers" :D ... here are the Senior and Junior ladies who are known to have scored over 90 points in the free skate portion of a summer competition as of August 12:

111+ Vanessa Lam (Silicon Valley Open, Sr)
    109.62 Gracie Gold (Skate Detroit Final Round, Jr)
    108.97 Leah Keiser (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    108.73 Ashley Wagner (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    106.31 Samantha Cesario (Liberty, Sr)
    102.63 Gracie Gold (Glacier Falls, Jr)
    101.73 Vanessa Lam (Hidden Valley Open, Sr)
    101.65 Courtney Hicks (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    100.16 Mirai Nagasu (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    100+ Gracie Gold (Skate Milwaukee, Jr)
    99.81 Gracie Gold (Northern Blast, Jr)
    99.31 Gracie Gold (Skate Detroit Qualifying Round, Jr)
    98.41 Nina Jiang (Cannon TX Open, Sr)
    96.46 Barbie Long (Skate Detroit FR, Jr)
    95.84 Angela Wang (Liberty, Sr)
    95.72 Hannah Miller (Skate Detroit QR, Jr)
    94.80 Caroline Zhang (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    94.41 Barbie Long (Skate Detroit QR, Jr)
    93.84 Nina Jiang (Skate Detroit FR, Sr)
    93.83 Vanessa Lam (All Year Comp., Sr)
    93.79 Leah Keiser (Liberty, Sr)
    93.79 Vanessa Lam (Glacier Falls, Sr)
    93.13 Barbie Long (Broadmoor Open FR, Jr)
    93.05 Nina Jiang (Skate Detroit QR, Sr)
    93.02 Courtney Hicks (LA Open, Sr)
    92.58 Polina Edmunds (Liberty FR, Jr)
    92.52 Mariah Bell (Ann Arbor Springtime, Jr)
    91.76 Yasmin Siraj (Boston Open, Sr)
    91.98 Hannah Miller (Ann Arbor Springtime, Jr)
    91.75 Hannah Miller (Skate Detroit FR, Jr)
    90+ Polina Edmunds (Silicon Valley Open, Jr)

Note: The 3 italicized skaters above with a + after their score do not have separate FS scores officially published online and so they are considered "hearsay" scores.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Yay Melissa!!! I met her briefly at 2007 Nationals, and she was super-nice and super-cute (she was surprised I had heard of her, lol).

19. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Eh. If he's deploying, depending on his role and branch in the military, since he is heading to Afghanistan he is likely deploying for 12+ months. It's possible he's already spent a good portion of the past year(s) away from her, due to his military duties. As someone who is in a 3+ year distance relationship with someone in the military and have many friends who serve in the military, I've seen countless couples get engaged prior to one leaving for deployment -- especially one's first deployment. It doesn't mean they're going to get married as soon as he returns.

At this point, I doubt that means any changes for her skating career over the next two seasons, at least. Other than maybe being a bit more careful about one's budget in order to save properly for wedding expenses. :eek:

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. Figure skating is a very expensive sport. Trust me, I know! ;)

21. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

No, she doesn't coach on a regular basis. I believe that she occasionally does some consulting.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

She said in an interview once that her goal is to go to the 2014 Olympics and that the jump analysis thing in Delaware is helping her improve her jumps (and get the triple axel she's been trying since like 3 years ago).

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Originally posted in a thread in GSD and moved here:
    I believe neither Kawamura nor Dobbs are eligible for Finlandia because they needed to skate in a summer competition before Sept. 1st in order to show "competition readiness" (AFAIK, they haven't).

I haven't heard anything to date about whether or not these 3 have entered Regionals... Kawamura probably has, but I'm not sure if Dobbs will continue to compete in Central Pacifics or has switched to Southwesterns since she is in Texas now.

Leah Keiser, Angela Wang and Nina Jiang all will compete Senior at Regionals.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow, so Leah and Angela are "officially" senior within the US. Interesting. I wonder how they will stack up there.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Per the article, Gao and Flatt working on components and artistry, and Wagner working on jump technique to get consistency. Sounds like all 3 are doing what they need to do! I just hope that speed is on Rachael's list :)

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I thought Dobbs did her SP right after moving to Texas at Skate Detroit, maybe?

29. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Yes, Amanda Dobbs did her SP at Skate Detroit with a score of 46.55. She withdrew after that and didn't do her FS.

I recall reading somewhere that her injury (back?) started bothering her and that was why she withdrew.

30. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Melissa! :encore: She is a bubbly young lady. We've met and spoken to her a few times at the University of Delaware and Liberty Summer Competition. Her parents are very nice, too. They were so thrilled that she finished in the top ten at US Nationals in January. I enjoy watching her skate, and hopes she continues in the sport for as long as she wishes to do so.