OES Ladies of Days gone by

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by poths, Nov 30, 2010.

1. poths

poths Well-Known Member

In a week where Lafuente and Meite put OES ladies back on the map, I'm reminding peeps of some OES ladies' performances that could have medalled at worlds had they not been so obskure:

1. Julia Sebesteyen's LP at the 1999 European Championships: No video available, but this was by far the best performance of her career and at the time she had the biggest jumps and easily the best technical content. The judges soon began to take her seriously and whilst she was often undermarked (placing her 6th in the SP of the SLC Olympics as opposed to 2nd which is what she bltantly deserved) it was her nerves and inconsistency that eventually ruined her reutation, not her obskure country status.

2.Julia Lautowa's Lp at the 1997 World Championships - despite being unknown and Austrian, she still managed an 8th place finish. She later married Kostomorov who left her after an affair with Domnina...but the less said about that, the better.

3.Elina Kettunen's 2002 LP from the European championships. Before Poykio, Korpii and Lepisto, there was Kettunen. She produced this killer perfomance at Europeans to make the Olympic team over Poykio and Drei. It proved to be a better performance than Both Kwan and SLutskaya's a month later in SLC! She finished 11th at the olympics

4. Tamara Dorofejev's FP at the the 2000 EUros. Once upon a time there were 3 Hungarians....all of whom could have medalled at worlds, if they were Russian. Dorofejev managed a 7 triple (junior but cute) killer program in 2000. Better than both Butyrskaya and Volchkova, but finished 9th. Shame she never recaptured.

5. Anna Rechnio's SP at the World champs followed her incredible SP at worlds the previous year which followed 4 years of wilderness and fragility in the wake of an excellent 1994 where judges showed they were willing to accept her as a new challenger by placing er 10th at Lillehammer. SHe produced the finest SP of the day, only challenged by Butyrskaya. The judges weren;t so kind and she wound up 6th. Again, robbed in the FP where she was placed 7th behind a gawky Hughes, Rechnio retired without a major medal that her talent desperately deserved.

Any more suggestions?
    What do we think of the the above choices and/or the current OES ladies?
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Future OES watch :sekret:

Ira Vannut - she even medaled at the JGP, has a flip AND a lutz! :eek: She's old enough for Euros, she can totally make it to the 2nd last group or even the last.
    Monika Simancikova - Okay, I can't find a video, but she was lovely and elegant at some JGP and finished 5th. I think she has a 3T, 3S and 3Lo. I can totally see her beating Reitmayerova.
    Patricia Glescic - not all that special, but can develop and seems consistent with what she has. Besides, when was the last time a decent skater came from Slovenia?
  3. poths

poths Well-Known Member

MOJCA!!!!!!!!! :D

Vannut is pretty impressive from what I've seen, she's manic and too excitable at the moment, but top 12 at euros is possible. :cheer:

Nice calls oleada!
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Julia Sebestyen 1999 Euros LP

2010 Austria JGP - this video is available at FSVids, but rules there forbid it being uploaded to Youtube.

I absolutely adore Rechnio - she is one of my favorite skaters of all time. I love her strong edges and huge jumps. Love her.

I also always had a soft spot for Czech skater Lenka Kulovana, and was thrilled she skated so well at home at the 1993 Worlds. :respec:
    poths and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

About immediate future :
    - Yrétha Silété (FRA) who could push in ahead of Méité and Marrocco at Nats (even if Marrocco should regain more and more consistency after her Osgood-Schlatter episode)
    - Miriam Ziegler (AUT) : have not heard of her this season but I like her a lot.

About future future :
    - Alisson Perticheto (SUI) : she will be able to skate junior internationally next season, so this make GP possibility in 2 years and ISU senior championships in 3. Have checked one of her comp this season, she's going for 3t, 3s and 3lp (still with underrotation but she has time ahead and I'm sure the swiss federation will focus on her in the years to come).
    - Anaïs Ventard (FRA). First JGPs this season.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I miss Zuzana Paurova > Babiakova-Paurova > Babiakova. She was totally no teknik but her Soviet waitress program was just totally rad. :D

Man it makes me so sad Anna Rechnio never won a medal. Such an awesome skater. :( And she still has her triples!

Ira Vannut has 3lutz/3loop in practice and has been very consistent all season. If she doesn't fall apart, she's easily going to crack the top 10 at Euros.

Btw, I wonder what's going on with Pieman, she withdrew from Nats.

Monika Simancikova is elegant and a solid jumper. A skater to look out for, definitely.

Agata Kryger has been developing at an extremely fast rate and hopefully she's going to be the talent Polish skating has been waiting for.

Still only 12 and not able to skate Junior until next season, she already has a consistent 2a, 3t and 3s and has been landing other triples in practice too.

Competed twice so far this season and both times landed 3t/2t, 3t, 3s, 2a/2t/2t and 2a in her free skate. :)

Just skated the SP at NRW Trophy where she landed 3t/2t and 2a and fell on a 3s. And that was after travelling forever to Warsaw and having flights delayed because of snow, which resulted in her arriving at the last moment and changing into her SP dress in the car...

If she can skate this well under such extreme circumstances, anything is possible. :)

Here's her SP from Diamentowy Spin 2010 a bit earlier in the season:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9B-050KxQ0
  7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:eek: No way!
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Summer 2009, I watched her practice. She was skating at blinding speed and landing 2axel and all the triples up to the 3lutz, other than the 3toe (she didn't try it because of some injury issue).

I almost went into katatonia out of shock.

I've seen her at Warsaw Cup recently. She gave birth at the end of Summer and only lately returned to work as a coach so I imagined she would be looking rough but her figure was as perfect as before, if not even more so.

Oh and back when heavily pregnant, she was still demonstrating all the jumps to her skaters by actually performing them. :D

She's a legend!!!
  9. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:eek::eek::eek:

Dude, TAKE VIDEOS!!!! skating at blinding speed is a given with her at any time, but triples up to the lutz 10 years after leaving amateur competition??? What I wouldn't give to see that :swoon:

Any idea why she isn't touring? Is it her decision or are the shows producers just that dumb?
  10. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Paurova-Babiakova was actually a pretty solid skater, trying Lutz combinations and a triple flip (out of one footed turns!) towards the end of her career.

I also miss Galina Maniachenko-Efremenko and her sister-in-law, the freakin' Liashenko-Efremenko.

Those Ukranian girls sure had great basics and flying camels.
  11. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

I echo the :eek:
  12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She knew nothing about posture, and for 3 years in a row only managed to rock the lp after bombing the sp. And when she goes clean in the sp, she almost always falls or doubles all her jumps but the opening lutz. :slinkaway

Loved her until she started imitating Slutskaya. :slinkaway

Boring. And even more so than Poykio. So glad the recent Finns are much more interesting. :rollin:

Wasn't she more famous for bombing all the time than for her only clean performance? I have actually never seen her skate. Any vids of her skating decently?

I thought you would mention Poth instead. Who else could do a 3toe3toe while in a translucent nightie?

She rocks, but her nerves. You really should mention Wojtola as well.
  13. mia joy

mia joy New Member

are they? :p

Yeah, good times when Poland apart from the Siudeks (or back then, Zagorska/Siudek) had two lovely and talented ladies...
  14. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Rechnio had two problems.

1. She badly needed a sports psychologist

2. Those of her coaches' generation would be very skeptical of such a thing (that's a wild understatement).

After some competition she said (in the Polish press) "I don't know what the problem is, I hit everything in practice but it falls apart in the competition." It was sad that she wasn't ever able to hold it together better over both phases of the competition.

added: She's done some commenting for eurosport and I noticed two things

1. She has the Peggy Fleming gift of dooming skaters by praising them saying "she's skating very well tonight" seconds before a fall.

2. She drove me crazy with overuse of the word "czyściusieńko" (roughly "nice and clean") for jumps that are anything but, kind of like Hamilton's "nailed it!" anytime a skater manages to stand up the landing.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

They are pretty and musical, so yes. Back then there's Kettunen and Drei. :lol:
  16. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Damn I was totally going to mention Drei. She, along with Rechnio, Poth and Pavuk, are my favorite OES of yesteryear :saint:
  17. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Pavuk seems to have fallen apart in recent years, but she definitely should have had a medal at Europeans 2004 with a :kickass: performance in both short and long.

I loved Rechnio, Liashenko, Maniachenko, Dorofejev, Kopac, Babiakova, Wojtala, Lautova, Poth and so many others whose names I can't remember now.

Marco, you're the boring one. :p
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I loved Galina Maniachenko > Efremenko. She was always so elegant and did a rockin' one-foot straight line step sequence back in the days when nobody gave a rat's ass about steps. :)

Drei was a hopeless case always skating with a depressed look on her face and showing awful choreography. She actually had one very good program ("Songs from a Distant City" choreographed by Tarasova) but that was it. :p

Wojtala was another head case, who could have achieved so much under better conditions. :(

It wasn't expected.

I was at an Adult camp that took place together with the Warsaw camp and she was there as a coach for both.

We always stayed after our practice to watch the skaters. It was the last day, her skaters have gone home already, so she and her partner trained just for fun.

If only we knew, we'd have totally filmed it.

Rechnio toured for years after leaving amateur competition but she wants to settle down now. She has a partner and a child, after all. She started her own club in Warsaw.

It's still pretty much the same over here. :(

I remember reading in a newspaper that Rechnio actually did some tests and diagnostics but they didn't find anything. It was all neurological though so all it showed was that she wasn't suffering from any illnesses or brain dysfunctions. Working with a psychologist would definitely have helped, I'm sure.
  19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

What exactly does OES stand for?
  20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Obskure European Skater.
  21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Btw I don't see anyone mentioning Tatiana Malinina. I remember her really good season.. either 99 or 00 (at 26 years old) .. she won some GPs and then I think the final? And she was seeing Roman Skorniakov.
  22. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I think it depends on the generation. I can remember when the idea of being able to interpret a person's body language was regarded as some kind of voodoo. And now it's pretty mainstream among younger educated people.

Other European ladies I liked.

Olga Markova - wildly careening between wonderful and cringe inducing and voidaliciousness and never, ever, for a single second boring.

Yulia Lavrenchuk - (for ziggy: didn't she look kind of like Szapołowska?) nice fast high jumps but she didn't last long.

Marion Krijgsman - lots of technical problems but something about her always drew me in to her skating

Nathalie Krieg - favorite spinner ever
  23. Squibble

Squibble New Member

1. Though born in Russia (the Asian part, in fact), she skated for Uzbekistan (which is in Asia) and thus isn't eligible to be an OES. (If you want to start an OAS thread, feel free, but see #2, below.)

2. She was too successful to be Obskur. :fragile: First at Four Continents, first at the Grand Prix Final, first twice at NHK, and fourth at Worlds.

3. Malinina and Skorniakov are married. AFAIK, they live and work as coaches in Virginia.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  24. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'll second poths: Mojca Kopac (SLO). Also Lenka Kulovana (CZE), 1993 Worlds. She rocked the FS with a weird medley of tangos and Carmen IIRC.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  25. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

YES! YES! She was so robbed:mad:
  26. Ankka

Ankka New Member

27. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I believe Dorofejev is the first woman to land a 3T+3Lo combination, too.
  28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Love her, but she was not obskure, no?

Simple yet high quality elements. Too bad she couldn't do a combination jump to save her life and usually pumped and telegraphed for 4 minutes of her 4 minute 10 second programs.

Love the Swiss maestros! Looking back, Sarah Meier is really the worst spinners of all Swiss ladies to make it to Worlds in recent years (but also the best jumper :rofl:).
  29. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes, it is : ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAZpEpQotE

I loved her programs at 1999 Euros. Her SP was very good, too (even with 2 mistakes).
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Please add to the list unforgettable Mila Kajas.
    94 Olympics Free skate was wonderful.