Ode to the beautiful game... (Soccer)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Mar 7, 2013.

1. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Also, I think Team USA could actually win their group.....or they could get blown out like in 1998. Lots of questions around this team, and like others have said, this side will be much better in 2018 than this year.

I'm expecting to beat Ghana, draw with Portugal and lose to the Germans. Whether that is enough to advance??? Who knows.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sepp Blatter says accusations of corruption against Qatar is based on racism. And in september FIFA will meet and their decision then will be final. I'm not holding my breath...
  5. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

I saw them as 3 and out with Landon Donovan and I see them as 3 and out without him. I'd love it if they prove me wrong, but I simply do not expect it. I still think that Klinsmann set this team up for 2018.

NJL
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I think the USA's best chance at a win is against Portugal, because the team is getting older and Ronaldo is in question. And this sport's biggest stars often come up short on it's biggest stage. Ghana just got off a 4-0 win over S. Korea so also given the two teams history I expect Ghana to win. However with luck they will be too jet lagged to be at 100% and the US could pull off a draw. :lol: :blocjudge
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I vote yes for when the competition begins tomorrow. Can someone think up a snazzy/witty title?
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I will try and think of something...
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

That's all we need a bunch of players with the runs.. :lol: We need all the help we can get (England)

I bought my flag for my car today.. last one in the store - England and Italy both sold out.. but then again my city here in Canada is primarily British and Italian.. I'm getting nervous about Saturday.. I'm also curious to see how the USA will do without Donavan?? I think ultimately the winner will Argentina or Brazil.. they will be used to the conditions..

GOOOOOOAAAALLLLL

:)

Well we are heading to the Azores next weekend - and of course SATA is on strike - but apparently won't impact on international flights.. our villa is supposed to have wifi - just need to figure out where to watch the games?? If our flights are impacted - plan B is Costa Rica.. as long as we can watch the games all is good in the world.. :D
  12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

We have our first entrant for the thread title thanks to 4rkidz!

1. GOOOOOOAAAALLLLL
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

15. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I feel their pain... I follow Cathal Kelly on twitter - he's a sports reporter down there and from his hotel he is catching the bus that arrives in Sao Paulo at 6am - he's hoping to make it for the 7pm kickoff - he's reporting that is mayhem down there with the traffic - and that's 'before' all the strikes! I have sarcastically suggested we start taking bets for when he will arrive :lol:
  16. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

O Jogo Bonito! Força Brasil!

If i am this nervous for the first game, i don't know how i will make it through the tournament! I loooooooove Marcelo, so that was tough to see him score on his own goal. Some of their defending made me really nervous, but i have faith they will get things together. Did anyone else catch Kaká and his son in the stands? So cute! I so wish i could be there in Brasil to celebrate. I so envy those of you who are!

And good job to Croatia for pressing til the last minute.

Have a great time in the islands, 4rkidz! Try some of the food cooked in the ground.
  17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is a new thread for thread for the WC come on over! Everyone is welcomed and there is plenty of caipirinha & fejioada for everyone! :cheer2:
  18. Lety

Lety Member

I don't watch much of soccer, only during the World Cup :lol: , but I was really nervous and excited for this!
    And I saw Kaká with his son, he gave an interview before the game and it was really adorable.
    That penalty poorly marked took a little of my delight , but I'm anxious for the next games :cheer2:
    Vamos Brasil! :D

And if anyone is going to watch the games live, I wish you have a great time! :D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

21. beepbeep

As the world (of football) turns... in Porto Alegre:

Dunga was fired form Internacional last October due to poor results. He is now Brazil's new coach (again!).

Scolari was fired from Brazil due to World Cup results (duh). He is now Grêmio's new coach (again!).

:lol:
  22. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

:mad: What will it take for FIFA to remove the World Cup from a country that should never have gotten it? The USA could easily host it. The USA finished second in the voting. All the stadiums are already built. There are other countries that already have the facilities too.

There is no good reason not to move the World Cup to another country. But that would mean the crooks at FIFA would have to return their bribes. :rolleyes:
  23. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

You just answered your own question - even though it's not necessarily a good reason :( I also doubt that moving the 2018 World Cup is going to be any more than consideration and talk.

On a different note, Germany just won the U19 European Championships against Portugal. I think Germany's getting quite unpopular with the Portuguese and Argentinians, at least, when it comes to soccer :p
  24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hopefully this win lady night us a sign of things to come this year at Man U. I don't mind if they do not win the EPL title but a top four finish would be nice. :hat1:
  25. KHenry14

NeilJLeonard likes this.
  26. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Donovan, so sorry if this is a stupid question. Is he really the greatest American player of all time, better than Brad Friedel or one of the women (Michelle Akers, Mia Hamm)? I know Donovan was very good. Have to wonder if the USNMT would have progressed further in the World Cup with him.
  27. KHenry14

First, I was only considering male players, so no comparison to Mia, Wambach or Akers. And while goalies like Friedel and Keller have had great careers, Landon owns every scoring record in USMNT history. And scored huge goals in big games. And that speaks volumes IMO.

Frankly, I wasn't surprised Landon didn't make the USMNT for the World Cup. His play in 2014 has been decidedly off, both for the Galaxy and the USMNT. Klinsmann made it clear that players in form made the team, and Landon clearly had been out of form. And frankly, I doubt his presence on the USMNT would have made any difference in the World Cup.
  28. ballettmaus

Given that the US team was the fittest in terms of physical fitness, you're probably right. Studies showed that the USMNT's players ran the most on average during a game (second was the German team) and if Donovan wasn't fit then he wouldn't have been able to keep up with the rest of his team.
  29. ballettmaus

Buzz likes this.
  30. beepbeep

Pope Francis may not have won the World Cup, but he did get the Libertadores, as San Lorenzo finally did it.

The Argentinians just took the nice and clean FIFA standard that their neighbors experienced and threw it out the window big time. What a messy match! Both on and off the pitch (complete with a small fire caused by a fire cracker :eek: ).
  31. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WOW just WOW
  32. ballettmaus

33. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have to work tomorrow and will miss Man U's season opener! :wuzrobbed
  34. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh darn... Well give 'em time to shake off the summer. I know things will be better this season. :respec: