Octavia Butler suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Orable, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Hi folks, I've been wanting to read more Sci-Fi books and upon some research, it seems that Octavia Butler may be the way I can start my journey. I've already read Fledgling (and looooved it!), but would love suggestions on what else I should read from her and in what chronology - esp some of her earlier work from the 70s and such.

I know a lot of us here are avid book readers, which is why I thought to ask here...Thanks in advance for all y'all suggestions!

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I've never read any of her novels, but even though she stated that she didn't like short story writing, she still wrote some really excellent ones. So I would recommend her collection Bloodchild and Other Stories.

3. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I only discovered Octavia Butler last year, after seeing a dnace performance based on her writings. I went out and bought Fledgling right away and loved it! The performance was based on her Parable books, which are on my list but I haven't gotten to them yet.

5. Skaterx

Skaterx New Member

second vote for Kindred

6. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice - I'll start out with Kindre and work my way around some of her trilogies :)

7. Buffybot

Buffybot New Member

Third vote for Kindred. I teach it in a women writers class and students love it. Kindred is less traditional sci-fi than Butler's other works, though (in fact, Butler called it a "grim fantasy" because she said there "was no science in it.") So another vote for the Bloodchild collection if you like more alien oriented sci-fi. Happy reading!