OCR article: Nicks retires from traveling, raising questions for Wagner

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130425&content_id=45755208&vkey=ice_news
    Orange County Register article (subscription required):

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm sure she can continue to work with him and maybe he'll decide to travel to Sochi (assuming she goes). But as for the GP events and nationals, she'll probably need to find another coach to be there with her.

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

This makes Phillip Mills leaving even bigger now because he would have most likely took over as her coach as well as choreographer. This is the last thing Ashley needs heading into the Olympic year.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

He's been tremendous at building her mental toughness. If he's still working with her at her home rink, where she spends most of her time, having a second coach (also at her home rink) who travels does not seem like a huge deal. We've seen skaters at Nationals and 4CC and Euros who are there without their regular coaches because the coach can't be in two places at once.

It is a huge deal only if she lets it be a huge deal.

If John Nicks is tired of all the travel at age 84, who could blame him?

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Maybe she could have Priscilla Hill work with her again.

6. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Why stop there. Give Shirley Hughes a call.

:p

7. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Are Frank Caroll or Rafael Arutunian located too far from Ashley's home rink?

8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Palm Springs and Lake Arrowhead are each about 1.5-2 hours from Aliso Viejo.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Maybe Ashley could move somewhere close to Aliso Viejo if she still wants Nicks to continue working with her, at least during her training. If that isn't possible, she might could meet with Nicks at Aliso Viejo a couple of times per week. I'm sure there could be some type of arrangements made where it could be easier for her.

10. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

She can hire a bunch of us from FSU as we've been virtually coaching just about every skater in the World. So if she goes to SA, an American FSUer will be by her side. Followed by a European FSU coach if she toes to Moscow or Paris. Volunteers? ;)

11. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Lol! This.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The IN article has been updated with comments by Wagner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130425&content_id=45755208&vkey=ice_news

13. icellist

icellist Member

I'm pretty sure that Karen Kwan/Peter Oppegard or Tammy Gambill are closer to Ashley if she wants to stay near Aliso Viejo

14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Unless Mr. Nicks is on his deathbed, and I certainly pray that won't be the case, I can't imagine him ever passing up the chance to attend another Olympics. I predict that if Ashley makes the team, he'll be in Sochi. This isn't the first time he's said stuff like this. Didn't Ashley call him out just earlier this year for his flair for dramatic announcements?

15. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I think they both hinted at this earlier this season, Nicks first, but we fans decided he would be retiring, and she came out and said no.

The thing with Mills may have come out because she knew this was coming and perhaps she did not want Mills as her competition coach, so he pulled the well I quit thing.

16. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

That may well happen. You may not recall, but when Ashely left Hill, she said that they might work together again in the future. Maybe that was in anticipation of something like this happening.

Well , evidently not lmao.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Glad to see her presenting a calm confidant exterior through all of this. You go, girl!

18. Ares

Ares Guest

Different choreographer, different coach, Olympic year....

She should probably go it alone and bring Danny Kwan. :p

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be as much drama here as the news articles would suggest: He will continue to coach her, but she'll find a coach/advisor on Nick's suggestion to travel with.

A Tammy Gambill pairing sounds intriguing to me, though.

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I suspect Gambill has all the skaters she can handle at the moment. I think half of the novice and junior winners at Nationals were hers along with her senior skaters.

21. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

At 84, you can't fault him for wanting to stay home. Been there, done that, the in flight service used to be better.

I think it is smart that Ashley wants him to remain her main coach.

22. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

So she will have a second coach along with Nicks... this is not huge news turns out. It didnt make sense to me that John would just flat out leave her before the Olympics unless he was ill. It sounds like day to day will be with Nicks and whomever she collaborates with. The biggest news is who is going to do the choreography for her programs and what creative direction she will go in. I'm psyched to see. Also, I hope she comes out the gate right away with the triple triple combinations as well as 1 foot landings on her jumps. Ashley does have a way of making skating look so easy when she is on. Go Wagner.

23. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Ashley doesn't seem that concerned, so we probably shouldn't be either. With her firey independence, I think she could compete with any number of coaches and would be fine.

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's something they have been discussing for a while so it's not like Ashley is being left out in the cold. I'm sure she has a list of prospects and is in the process of narrowing down who she wants to go with. She'll still have Nicks 90% of the time; she just needs someone who can work with her when she travels.

25. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Hints of retirement from past articles:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130114&content_id=40951390&vkey=ice_news

"Icenetwork.com: How long do you think you will continue to coach?

Nicks: Well, at my age, I don't have any long-term plans anymore. I will sit down after worlds and decide. I am sort of leaning toward finishing this year."

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I don't believe Nicks has done day to day for a long time, so I would be surprised if he starts now. Mills fulfilled that role. Has Ashley indicated if she will continue after Sochi?

Wonder why Ashley is so coy about who her choreographers are?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well as much as I adore Wagner's skating, her shot at an Olympic medal is not that good now that she missed a World medal two seasons in a roll and she has again failed the 3/3. And in turn, with Nicks not traveling with her, I guess her chances are just getting smaller and smaller, now that neither coaches who changed her from the almost girl to the it girl are going to attend Sochi with her. Whoever suggested that Wagner didn't want Mills as her main coach and so fired him before letting Nicks announce the no-travel announcement is probably spot on. She probably feels she needs a higher level coach.

Is either Gambill, Arutunian or Carroll coaching any high level ladies at the moment? (I am blanking out / just drunk)

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think the issue with Ashley not medaling 2 seasons in a row belies the very positive fact that she actually improved as a skater from 2011/12 - 2012/13. Her performances at 2013 Worlds would probably have put her on the podium in 2012. Unfortunately for Ashley, she improved in a season that included the return of Yu Na (whom no one can beat), the return of Mao to form shedding her subpar skating from 2011 and 2012, and Carolina reclaiming the 3z and 3f-3t. I would still rank her as the #4 skater in the world right now looking at the big picture (I know the actual scores don't entirely support that. Due to Ashley's freak fall in FW, Kanako stayed ahead of her at Worlds, Adelina has posted a higher score at Euros, and Akiko was #1 at WTT). Just looking at who she's beaten in important competitions over the course of the past season.

I don't think any of the coaches you mentioned are coaching a top lady right now. Any of them would be good for her if Nicks can't give Ashley the complete attention she will need in an Olympic year, although Tammy is pretty busy with a no. of pupils. Arutunian might have the most availability and able to offer her tweaks to jump technique to help her get that elusive 3-3 or even a 3-3 seq. He is certainly making Adam's skating 'bigger' and 'grander', but Carroll might overall be able to pull something extra out of Ashley's skating. Interesting supposition.

29. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

How will this impact Leah Keiser?

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think timing is everything. Had Wagner's improvement come a year earlier she would have medalled at worlds by now.
    That said, the fact that she didn't points to the fact that she still needs improving either by upping her jumps or her basic skating.