Oberstdorf gala

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by SmallFairy, Dec 30, 2012.

1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Watching it live on Eurosport now, anyone else? (Mods, if this is the wrong place to post, please move it)

Lovely to see Fumie again, as mentioned in the Fumie-thread, she did a 3t and a 2a beautifully executed, and Norweigan commentator (who's mostly totally unreliable) also said she would keep skating one more year, then retire.

Adam was a delight, he should leave the heavy programs behind and maybe skate more modern, he seemed so relaxed.

The young German couple were so sweet, I really, really hope they stay together, I see a bright future if they keep developing.

Brian's Gladiator cracked me up, it felt like he skated some tribute to Yagudin. Same music cuts, even some similar moves (or was it from MITIM, when he leans backwards onto the ice?) and final steps to the same music. Lol I saw only Yagudin...

The acrobatic pair (I don't remember names) felt totally awkward, they had "no clothes" on, and he kept grabbing her in different places...then she held onto his nipples...eeeeek

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There's a thread in the TV Alerts forum but you're the first to post about the show in some detail, so thanks!

British Eurosport stream (second half of show coming up): http://www.stopstream.tv/49/31/493129.html

ETA from another thread:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

I watch it too and that's a nice show!

Valentina was very enjoyable in something quite different from what we see.
    Agree about Adam and the couple without clothes, that was embarassing.
    I loved Prossl & Blommaert and Kolbe & Caruso.

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yes, the nipple grabbing during one of heir rotational lifts was very awkward, especially since you could see that's exactly what she meant to grab based on the camera angle. Fiona Zaldua/Dmitri Sukhanov were their names.

ETA: They seemed to have found some costumes for the second half and did anther adagio number.

Peter Liebers looked very good and was jumping up a storm, as well (huge 3lutz in a blind spot)

I'm chuckling to myself about Fumie skating to a song whose lyrics are "don't tell mama I'm working in a nightclub, in a pair of lacy pants", knowing her mother was at one point pressuring her to get married.

Joubert's French ballad was quite good, I thought. Either that, or I'm developing a soft spot for him after watching him for 10+ years.

Couple of more vids
    Berton & Hotarek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TskMzdouXX4&feature=youtu.be
    Peter Liebers 3axel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkfUs-MTfHQ&feature=youtu.be
    Fumie's second program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guSsxMZ3bws&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Really enjoyed Fumie and Adam..And what's not to enjoy about Baboo?

6. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Overall it was a very enjoyable gala. Fumie skated two beautiful programs and was one of the highlights for me. Joubert's Gladiator is very cool and I can't help but to drool over him (really objective comment :p). Thrilled to watch Colbe and Caruso again!

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  7. GREGORY

GREGORY Active Member

Alban Préaubert did comments for Eurosport France. He said that Brian Joubert is training alone and he's no longer coached by Annick Dumont.

8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

They mentioned it on Eurosport UK, too. My understanding is that he's gone back to Poitiers and commutes to a nearby rink. That can't be a good arrangement and I hope he'll sort out his coaching issues soon.

9. servin

servin New Member

On Swedish Eurosport they said tha they closed down his homerink for renovation. He has to drive 1,5 h single way everyday to practise..

10. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

oh ~~~~

i hope there has been no fall-outs with anyone ....

Brian needs to sort out his coaching situation, indeed.

11. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I also enjoyed Adam the most, but our German champions were also really good especially Peter Liebers. I also liked Fumie although I did not like how her firt program developed into something "sexy".
    Incidently this morning German Eurosport also showed the Courchevel gala which was even nicer I thought, Brian was much more "on" than in Oberstdorf, even though he was doing two ballads and then Yagudin followed doing his stuff (a bit out of breath now and then), also Surya Bonaly doing her backflip. I was a bit sad they cut out James/Cipres (I thought they could be seen in the final) but great that they broadcast it at all!
    And sorry for mixing in that second gala in this post :p

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'll address this in the French news thread soon.

As for the gala: I was meh about most of it, but this may be because most of the skaters involved were not favorites of mine. In general I'm not very excited about most galas these days; the programs many of the skaters do just aren't that fun or interesting.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  13. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

14. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I also enjoyed Liebers a lot! He appeared to be in good shape, maybe, just maybe....he could be a dark horse at Euros? No one is talking about him, it's all Javi, Plush and some French blokes;) Peter could come from behind and kick some ass! When was the last time a German man won a medal? Lindeman 2005? (I remember being furious because I thought Lambiel was way better. I was in Turin and Stefan was the last skater. After he finished, I had to go to the bathroom, and I didn't wait for his marks, because I was not at all worried he would beat out Stephane for bronze. Then I came back, and he had done exactly that:p)

15. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

No Denstas or Delshoes ?

Was hoping to see Denstas as I loved their Luna programme from last year.

16. icedance56

icedance56 New Member

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  18. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Thank you for the links. I enjoyed the videos.

19. icedance56

icedance56 New Member

Thank you Sylvia.

20. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

prölß/blommaert are such a joy to watch; hope they have a bright future ahead of them

21. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Is that a different FD dress for Nathalie Pechalet ? It looks shinier material and has red around the edge or is it just me imagining it ?