Obama warns his daughters about getting tatoos

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Obama has warned his daughters that if they got a tatoo then he and Michelle would get one and show it off to the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22289197

I like the idea of parents threatening to do the same thing as their kids to make it "uncool". But does it work?

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't have or want tattoos, but if it means taking a trip to the tattoo parlour with the Obama's, I'm all for it.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Did he remind them there is NO WAY they can hide it, because even if it's somewhere that's easy to cover, the Secret Service will notice if they decided to go to a tattoo parlor?

4. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Little skateycat is only 6, but I am already finding that it is best to make no threats or promises that I am not eager to carry out.

5. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Yep if I had made this sort of threat to my daughter when she was 16, she would have gone and got a sparkleunicornhellokittyrainbowdolphinskulldaggercrucifix right in the middle of her face just to say, oh yeah???

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Nothing on earth (short of someone pointing a gun at my head) will pursuade me to get a tattoo.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. KCC

KCC Active Member

Same for me -- I hate needles. Never saw the attraction since my tastes in art/jewelry change over time, and I think most tats look dated pretty quickly.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

If anyone discovers a foolproof method for discouraging tattoos, please let me know. Jews are not supposed to do this to the body anyway and given the history of tattoos in concentration camps, please no. Just no. I hope I can instill this in my son.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I was able to discourage one of my kids. He was 10 and told me tattoos were cool and he wanted on. I said Hmm. Really? Well what if you'd gotten one when you were 5. What would it have been of? He said "I don't know" I said "Well you were really into Spongebob Square Pants. I bet you would have gotten a Spongebob tattoo" and he got this horrified look on his face and never brought it up again. (He's 21 now. No tattoos.)

It didn't work with Mini-Mac though. She's going to get one the instant she turns 18. Maybe I should try the "if you get one, I'll get one to match and show everyone on FB our matching tats" trick. Because she'd HATE that. :lol:

10. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I wonder if I should tell this to my friend who has the Star of David and something in Hebrew script on his arm...:shuffle:

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I don't think it's that big of a deal. My coworker actually has several, and I never pegged her as someone who would have them. :lol: But they're just small symbols on places that don't show when she wears work clothes. I think that's the important part - for many jobs, you have to hide tats and then it just gets to be an annoyance if you have an entire sleeve of them.

12. mkats

mkats New Member

I think I may have told this story before, but I knew a girl in college who had, erm, interesting tattoos. We were seated side by side in the car for a long field trip and she was telling me that she had a little shamrock and a little chili pepper on her stomach, to represent her Irish and Mexican heritage. She says she'll show me when we get to our destination. Seems cool, until two hours later we get out of the car, I've completely forgotten about this conversation, and she yanks up her shirt to reveal the most :yikes: tattoo I've ever seen - it was basically a giant chili pepper (like the restaurant Chili's absolutely nothing artsy about it - with a HUGE shamrock behind it, tendrils coming out of the shamrock and extending all over her stomach. I was just :eek:

She got pregnant shortly afterwards, I always kind of wondered how that tattoo looked afterwards :shuffle:

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:scream:

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: It was worth telling again!

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

IA - I wonder if the tattoos have the same significance to the younger generation of Jews. As tats become more mainstream than currently (which is saying a lot given the number of people I know with tats), I am thinking that the younger Jews who really don't have a connection to the Holocaust other than history will buck the system.

Just musing and not meaning to disrespect any group or anything

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got Mickey Mouse tattooed on her thigh when she was 18. By 30, it made her feel stupid and she told everyone to not get tattoos. I told this story to an 18 year old student who was planning to get Hello Kitty on her wrist. She was not dissuaded. She is about 25 now and I'm wondering how that is working out for her.

numbers123--Jewish Law prohibits tattoos. For observant Jews, the issue is not just the use of tattoos at Auschwitz.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I think you may be right, numbers. Less connection to their background and more connection to the mainstream culture. And yes, I think tattoos are more mainstream now--Sasha Cohen has one IIRC, on one of her wrists of the infinity symbol. :rolleyes:

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I got my tattoo when I turned 50. (where's that shrug icon?)

19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I have one too. But I was 54 when I got it and I thought pretty hard about it. Mini-Mac is constantly drawing on herself and changing her mind about what she thinks is cool. She is completely the sort of person who should NOT be getting at tattoo at 18 but waiting a bit. Plus, if she gets them at the rate I think she will, she'll also be that person covered in tats by the time they are 30.

Right now she's 14 and has 3 holes in each ear with gauges in one set and a nose piercing. He hair changes color on a regular basis as well. I expect her to be like that with tats too. I was hoping she'd stick to less permanent things like piercings and hair but I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.

20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I realize this - my niece converted to Judaism in her senior year of high school. She is very well versed about the taboo and has told most of our family about her dislike of tattoos and why.

I suspect that as time goes on, the connection will be broken. Like Catholic Church and some of the beliefs are now blurred because it didn't/doesn't fit the current societal norms.

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

People think that tattoos and piercings are today mostly a thing for "the young", but quite a few "not so young" people get them. You're far from alone in getting one at age 50 or older.

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wish he had talked to my niece. She's ruined her body with one that creeps up from her right breast up to her neck :mad:. Such a pretty girl.

23. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I got my first one six years ago, another the year after, another the year after, and three last summer. I just turned 49. When people ask "what is that going to look like when you're 80?", my reply is, "then it's a good thing I waited until I was over 40 to get them!"

I wanted them since I was a teenager, so finally doing it felt very liberating. I've never regretted any of them, have some more planned, and have made them all very personal in a way that will make me never regret them.

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I think 99% of tattoos look plain gross, sorry.
    Ew. I hate when young women tattoo the upper part of their breast and then wear low-cut dresses/blouses. Looks so trashy! :scream:

25. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

In Australia apparently the number of people getting tatoos removed is about the same as people getting them done. Too many are getting them done because they are trendy and not thinking about the long term consequences.

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I have a colleague's sister who had hers in between her toes so that mum and dad wouldn't notice it!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

My cousin Jenyfer is 52, and she has in the range of a dozen tattoos (if not more), like yours all very personal to her. Everytime I go on Facebook it seems, she's posted another picture of her newest one. Her mother got her first one for her 50th birthday and added a few more since; she's 72 now and had to stop getting them because her skin is too thin now.

I got my first (so far only) one 3 years ago. It's two roses in the shape of a Yin Yang symbol, on the back of my left shoulder. I want another one, but I haven't settled on what design I want (plus I don't have the $$ for it - thankfully the artist who did my last one doesn't charge for custom designs).

28. mkats

mkats New Member

We also had a patient back in the day who had a very indistinct tattoo on his upper arm that, as best as we could tell, was a black amorphous blob with a line of black indistinguisheable text beneath it, clearly not done by somebody with very much skill. It used to be a game amongst the MAs to try and guess what it was supposed to be. I got an extra good look the day I had to give him his flu vaccine :lol: I always thought it was a gun of some kind, one of the other girls thought it was a bird. We never ended up asking.

29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

In her late teens, my friend got a tattoo of a smiling sun on her breast - not where it shows with clothing on. Then she had a couple of kids, breast-fed them both, lost weight again. That sun no longer smiles. It looks kind of like an egg.

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My Mom got a tattoo for her 50th birthday and plans to get another for her 60th. I personally have no interest in them. Hers is a hummingbird on her back shoulder. I guess it looks nice. Unless she is in a swimsuit you don't see it.

I found it to be kind of hypocritical because when my sister always wanted one when she was younger the answer was never "No, because I said so" but "No, because you could get all these diseases...." If it was "No because I said so" it would make a lot more sense that she ended up getting one herself.