Oba Chandler To Die Tuesday

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by duane, Nov 13, 2011.

1. duane

duane New Member

22 years after raping and murdering Florida vacationers Joan Rogers, 36, and her two daughters Michelle, 17, and Christe, 14, Oba Chandler is finally to be put to death Tuesday, Nov 15th. I've read many murder cases over the years, and this one has always stood out as one of the most disturbing and horrific--a mother and her two daughters seeing/hearing each other hog-tied, raped, and then thrown overboard alive to die a terrifying, horrific death. And, there are the circumstances of Michelle--who for years had been repeatedly raped by her uncle (who lived in a trailer on the family farm). This all came to light when he was charged with raping another women, and tapes were found of him raping Michelle. He was convicted of that rape (sparing Michelle the pain of testifying), and the reason for the trip to Florida was to help in her healing process. The poor girl survived one hell only to find herself in another.

I do not support the death penalty, but the only thing that bothers me about Chandler's upcoming execution is that is will be by lethal injection instead of the electric chair.

At the same time, I wish a deal can be made to spare the execution. What exactly happened on the small boat that night? How did Oba get control over the 3 victims--who reportedly were strong, physically fit women/girls? Only Oba Chandler knows, and if he agrees to tell the whole story (and passes a lie detector test), convert his death sentence to life w/o parole. Then, he will no longer be in isolated confinement (as he's been since convicted), but in general population, where he'd have to deal with the other prisoners---most who have a huge disdain for rapists and child killers. Two birds with one stone may be accomplished--knowing the full story of what happened that awful night of June 1 1989, AND Oba Chandler getting the ultimate punishment by the hands of a fellow prisoner.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not in favour of the death penalty myself but this guy seems to be the worst of the worst. Even other prisoners hate child murderers. I am surprised he survived prison for so long.
  3. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Would that the full truth of what happened be made known (if that is indeed for the best), but why should one relish the possibility of a violent criminal (or anyone else) getting a conscience-blessed kick out of torturing and/or murdering another person, however vile?
  4. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Maybe he had a gun? Or, was strong enough to get them tied up before they could overcome him?

It's a horrible and heart-breaking story, especially since the woman was already a repeated victim of rape. . .normally I disagree with the death penalty, but in a case like this my rationale thinking goes right out the window and I wish someone had killed the person a long time ago.