NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Your cousin is lovely :glamor:

Sarasota Ballet performs each program only twice or three times, but their rep puts many companies to shame. Among the ballets they're doing next year are:

• Ashton's "Symphonic Variations," "A Birthday Offering,"Les Rendezvous," and "La Fille Mal Gardee"
  • Tudor's "Lilac Garden"
  • Taylor's "Company B"

which is more Ashton than the Royal Ballet is doing and more Tudor than American Ballet Theatre is doing.

emason

Actually, ABT had Tudor's The Leaves are Fading listed for its upcoming fall week at City Center.

Rob

Beach Bum
They have a great Rep - great combination of Balanchine, Bournonville, Ashton, DeMille, Tharp, Taylor, some classic full lengths, and new stuff like Wheeldon, Bourne, Kobborg, and others.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I missed the Tudor :eek: Thank you for the correction, emason.

Rob, if you mean ABT, most of that rep is now squeezed into a very short fall season at City Center and a few mixed bill programs mixed into the Met season in the Spring, which consists mainly of full-lengths.

In the 60's and 70's, the City Center season was what most of the full Spring season was like. ABT has been a questionable caretaker of what had been their core rep, especially the fragile Tudor masterworks. ABT is doing "The Leaves are Fading"; Sarasota Ballet is doing "Lilac Garden." Perhaps this is because ABT lost most of its ability to coach "Lilac Garden", while there are enough dancers around, like Amanda McKerrow, who worked with Tudor on "Leaves".

Marcelo loves Lua

Jubak

Just watched Marcelo loves Lua. It is sooooo sweet. I've seen him in several ballets this season as well as "Kings of Dance" & love his work.

Marge_Simpson

The Kickstarter project was fully funded. So when do I get to see Marcelo in rehearsal? :swoon:

I am totally spoiled for other ballet companies after seeing POB's Giselle, which was totally sublime. However, I need input from other ballet-goers. I'm considering going to DC, either in October or November. I don't need an excuse to go, because I always have a blast there, but I may as well go when there is some ballet at the Kennedy Center. So: Do I see the Mariinksy's "Cinderella", the Washington Ballet's "Dracula", or the San Francisco Ballet?
I am not especially fond of "Cinderella", but "Dracula" sounds voidy, and I adore SFB.
Advice, please! :)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don't know if it's the figure skating Shin Amano, but there's a Shin Amano backing the film.

I would skip the "Dracula." I think the party would be more interesting than the ballet. George Jackson called Ratmansky's "Cinderella" "misbegotten", and here is Alexandra Tomalonis' review from 2005:
http://danceviewtimes.typepad.com/where_were_you_sitting/2005/01/bleak-house.html#more

Here's Vishneva after the ball:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJW2Ra335I

Obraztsova/Lobukhin in the adagio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV3cj0JBkI

Alina Somova in the ball solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDt7eDZJN8&feature=player_embedded

I would love to be able to see this.

I've never seen any of the four pieces on the SFB program, but you can be sure the dancers will be great. Lorena Feijoo just had her baby; I'm not sure if she's planning to try to be back before the regular season rep that starts next January.

Mixed Repertory Program (Nov. 13 & 14)
Trio (Tomasson/Tchaikovsky)
RAkU (Possokhov/Eshima)
Number Nine (Wheeldon/Torke)

Romeo & Juliet (Nov. 15–18)
Choreography by Helgi Tomasson
Music by Sergei Prokofiev

emason

I am totally spoiled for other ballet companies after seeing POB's Giselle, which was totally sublime.

Review, please. I'm kicking myself that I didn't go to see it. I did catch the mixed bill; the Bolero was sensational, but the rest of it was meh.

Holley Calmes

What a beautiful site, Marge! I scrolled all the way down-their visuals are stunning!

This isn't performance related per se, but I am very excited. My studio in Atlanta is hosting the southeastern segment of the Youth America Grand Prix this coming year. Don't know if any of you saw "First Position," but that's the same organization/events. It's not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it has seen some fantastic dancers come through its competition. I look forward to meeting some wonderful teachers and artistic directors who will be giving master classes in our new facility, and watching all the young talent perform their variations.

Marge_Simpson

Heads-up for New Yorkers: Tickets for Works and Process at the Guggenheim go on sale Monday Aug 13. These sell out quickly, so if you're thinking of buying tickets, do it on Monday. They are likely to be all gone by Tuesday.
Some good stuff!

PNB: Sunday Sept 9 at 7:30PM (this will be streamed live), Monday Sept 10 at 3PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

NYCB: Sunday Sept 23 at 7:30 PM, Monday Sept 24 at 7:30 PM

ABT: Sunday Sept 30 at 7:30 PM (will be streamed live), Monday Oct 1 at 3 PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

RDB: (whoo-hoo! the one they did last year was my favorite of all the W&P's I've attended) Sunday Oct 21 at 7:30 PM (will be streamed live) Monday Oct 22 at 3 PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

I'm definitely seeing the RDB on Monday Oct 22. Not sure about ABT as I'd have to get time off from work.

Marge_Simpson

I decided to skip ABT this time around. I'm going to see PNB on Sept 9 and the evening performance of RDB on Oct 22.
If you get tickets for any of the same dates we could do dinner first. Or just hang around at the reception and scarf up the sandwiches. :)

I'm going to see the Smuin Ballet this Friday at the Joyce. I've never heard of them, but they look pretty voidy. Incidentally, the Trocks will be there Dec 12 - Jan 6. Group outing, anyone? They are hysterically funny.

emason

I decided to skip ABT this time around. I'm going to see PNB on Sept 9 and the evening performance of RDB on Oct 22.
If you get tickets for any of the same dates we could do dinner first. Or just hang around at the reception and scarf up the sandwiches. :)

I'm going to see the Smuin Ballet this Friday at the Joyce. I've never heard of them, but they look pretty voidy. Incidentally, the Trocks will be there Dec 12 - Jan 6. Group outing, anyone? They are hysterically funny.

I just blew my budget on opera tickets. Don't know what else I can swing at this point, but I'll take a look.

I already have tickets to the Trocks, Weds. Dec. 19th and Weds. Dec. 26th.

ETA: OK, I am so easily led astray, Marge, that I signed up for the 2 Works + Process when you are going. Definitely we can have a meet-up of some kind.

Last edited:

Rob

Beach Bum
The Kickstarter project was fully funded. So when do I get to see Marcelo in rehearsal? :swoon:

I am totally spoiled for other ballet companies after seeing POB's Giselle, which was totally sublime. However, I need input from other ballet-goers. I'm considering going to DC, either in October or November. I don't need an excuse to go, because I always have a blast there, but I may as well go when there is some ballet at the Kennedy Center. So: Do I see the Mariinksy's "Cinderella", the Washington Ballet's "Dracula", or the San Francisco Ballet?
I am not especially fond of "Cinderella", but "Dracula" sounds voidy, and I adore SFB.
Advice, please! :)

I am going to all 3; I go Thursday nights (not sure which week for Dracula- will let you know). I have never seen anything by Michael Pink.

I saw Cinderella in 2005 - its sugary and fine; not my favorite. Wish they were bringing something else this time.

Looking forward to SFB!

Rob, if you mean ABT, most of that rep is now squeezed into a very short fall season at City Center and a few mixed bill programs mixed into the Met season in the Spring, which consists mainly of full-lengths.

I meant Sarasota.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I saw Cinderella in 2005 - its sugary and fine; not my favorite. Wish they were bringing something else this time.
Until now, I've only heard the Ratmansky "Cinderella" described as modern-ish and tough, unlike the Ashton, apart from the scary stepsisters, especially when the ultra-scary one was done by Helpmann. You have lots of company in being disappointed that they chose to bring this to the Kennedy Center again.

Holley Calmes

I presume they use the Prokoviev score for Cinderella. I LOVE Prokoviev, but for some reason I have never liked this ballet score. It has its moments, but overall, it is no Romeo and Juliet. (Personally, I love his Violin Concertos which have been used for ballet very successfully.) Cinderella's music leaves me cold.

Marge_Simpson

Alas, I'd decided to see SFB but couldn't get the time off from work. Never mind, I may still get to DC before the year is over.
Why have I never heard of the wonderful Smuin Ballet before? They were fab. :)

Marge_Simpson

emason and I both enjoyed the PNB presentation at the Guggenheim last week.
The topic was Ballanchine; specifically, the way his choreography changed over the years. Peter Boal is a terrific speaker, articulate and witty. (he could give tips to a certain AD :lol:) I was mjorly impressed with Carla Korbes (sorry I can't do the umlauts) and Seth Orza.
I found it amusing when Seth was demonstrating a move, and Peter kept repeating, "Now, look at Seth." I thought, "Well, you don't have to tell me twice!"
(He is swoon-worthy)

Foy anyone interested in Morphoses: they are performing in Sweden on Oct 23, and Scandinavia House (in NYC) will stream the performance live. It's free. If you go, I suggest you check out the gift shop as they usually have Geisha chocolates. (Overpriced, of course, but the only place I've found them in NYC)
The restaurant is pretty decent, too.
Info here:
http://www.scandinaviahouse.org/events_performingarts_upcoming.html

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I have to admit that I'm still wondering why ABT is considered one of the top ballet companies in the country, as opposed to an excuse to see guests/guest principals like Cojocaru and Vishneva and the place where Marcelo Gomes is, but I've heard almost nothing but good-to-great things about Osipova's performances (even if she was meh in the "Giselle" movie, and as if the Mariinsky didn't have principals to dance the role.)

emason

Sorry, but vulgar for me is epitomized by Anna Netrebko in the Met's loathsome production of Manon. Nothing I have seen ballet-wise touches that.

I've liked Osipova in what I've seen so far; maybe I just picked the right performances; her Kitri was amazing, but, then again, I am the original no teknik viewer.

I've enjoyed Vasiliev too, but I wouldn't buy a ticket on the strength of his name, and, yes, he really is more suited to the Trocks.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Sorry, but vulgar for me is epitomized by Anna Netrebko in the Met's loathsome production of Manon. Nothing I have seen ballet-wise touches that. .....

Nothing? Two words: Alina Somova. (...and that great roar heard 'round the world was the cheer of ballet fans when her pregnancy was announced a week ago. Nine months of glory.) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information