NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

Marge_Simpson

Company B is also a favorite of mine. ABT performs it often, but they don't dance it properly, they treat it as a comedy.
"Counterswarm" and "The Sorcerer's Sofa" are two other "demented" pieces that crack me up, as well as make me think, "HOW did he come up with this?!"
Actually, I don't think I've seen a PT dance that I didn't enjoy.

Marge_Simpson

Irlan Silva has been promoted to soloist at Boston Ballet. Why Kevin ever let this lovely dancer get away is a mystery to me..he was in ABT II but was never taken into the main company.
I can't for the life of me remember who the ballerina is, but Irlan and one of the girls from his school in Brazil were the subject of the film "Only When I Dance" which is a real charmer.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
Irlan Silva has been promoted to soloist at Boston Ballet. Why Kevin ever let this lovely dancer get away is a mystery to me..he was in ABT II but was never taken into the main company.
I can't for the life of me remember who the ballerina is, but Irlan and one of the girls from his school in Brazil were the subject of the film "Only When I Dance" which is a real charmer.
Ingrid Silva.
I believe she's with the Dance Theater of Harlem. She posts a lot of positeveness/self help babble along with some gorgeous photos on social media.

Rob

Beach Bum
Ok ballet fans -- which cast do I want to see in Raymonda? I have tickets to Kolegova, but I can trade them in -

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
2/23 eve. | 2/26 eve. | 2/28 mat.
Raymonda: Oxana Skorik
Countess Sibilla: Elena Bazhenova
Jean de Brienne: Timur Askerov
Abderakhman: Konstantin Zverev
René de Brienne: Soslan Kulaev
Ali: Islom Baimuradow
Henrietta: Nadezhda Batoeva (2/23 & 28); Nadezhda Gonchar (2/26)
Clémence: Kristina Shapran (2/23 & 28); Yekaterina Chebykina (2/26)

2/24 eve. | 2/27 eve.
Raymonda: Yekaterina Kondaurova
Jean de Brienne: Daniil Korsuntsev
Abderakhman: Yuri Smekalov
Henrietta: Nadezhda Gonchar
Clémence: Yekaterina Chebykina

2/25 eve. | 2/27 mat.
Raymonda: Anastasia Kolegova
Jean de Brienne: Yevgeny Ivanchenko
Abderakhman: Yuri Smekalov (2/25); Konstantin Zverev (2/27)
Henrietta: Nadezhda Batoeva
Clémence: Kristina Shapran

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
In the short time he stayed, he did shake up things enough that some dancers 'étoiles' now know how bad they've been dancing for the past 15 years .... And that the opera isn't the strongest company in the world as far as classic ballet is concerned.
I wonder how much of his short stay was pre-planned though. And from what Dupont is saying, her role was in the works at least for 5 months ... ;)

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I mentioned this in the opera thread, that the Bolshoi had announced its plans for the new season. They will be coming to NYC July 2017. They will be doing Jewels and Taming of the Shrew.
Here's the rest of their plans for next season for opera, ballet, and orchestra.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/20c/20c115ae3172aeea15884a1c15359cbc.pdf

I heart Taming of the Shrew. I assume it's the Maillot, not the Cranko version.

:wuzrobbed So jello of NYC and all the great ballet stars who visit. Friggin' SF Ballet is so insular that when Mariinsky or Bolshoi come to town, (rarely) they have to perform in Berkeley.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They perform at Berkeley because Cal Performances books them for their dance series, and it's uber-expensive to bring them to the West Coast. War Memorial is occupied for most of the year between the opera and ballet and is rarely available for anything else, and finding an open slot where they could do Segerstrom and the Bay Area is tough.

Seattle has the same issue with McCaw Hall, and before the Symphony moved to Benaroya Hall, they had Monday-Tuesday in the same venue as the opera and ballet. The rare visits we got from ABT and thee Bolshoi were at the Paramount.

NYC has two major opera houses, one with a opera company in name only, plus City Center and BAM.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Saw a post from Mariinsky that Kimin Kim got the Benois de la Danse. http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/
Congrats! But they have him listed with Paris Opera and I thought he is with the Mariinsky. :confused:

Browsed the Mariinsky site, he is listed as a principal, is he guesting in Paris?

Also saw that while Skorik and Somova are principals, jewels like Olesya Novikova are soloists. What kind of world do we live in??!! :wall:

I have given up on Skorik. I thought she was promoted prematurely but would grow into it. But no, latest Youtube videos reveal the same problems. It's not like you are going to wake up one day and start hearing music no matter how hard they work on your arms.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I am looking forward to the NYC Ballet's Midsummer Night's Dream next weekend. I am out of touch with the company (well, all companies) these days, but I love that ballet. I have never seen such deft choreographic storytelling as in Act 1, so witty and lovely. A small moment that always makes me smile is when the bugs (played by young children wearing wings) fall in a pile and go to sleep. Act 2 is a bit dull but has that beautiful pas de deux. Hope the dancers are up to it, whoever they are.

Rob

Beach Bum
I saw Royal Swedish in Mats Ek's Juliet & Romeo last night. I wish I had paid attention to casting because Ana Laguna (his wife) is doing the nurse in the cast I didn't see.

Tchaikovsky score. Setting was stark, smoky with actual walls (moved around by the dancers -- the society is in civil strife with the have nots are uprising against the militaristic haves. Ek has said his interpretation was inspired by the Arab Spring. Romeo, Mercutio, Benvolio seem to be living on the street; Juliet's family patrols the perimeter to keep the have nots down. Juliet starts as an awkward kid, rebellious, grows more mature when she meets Romeo, but still awkward. Very defiant to her parents. Mercutio and Benvolio are buds; Romeo is their friend, but his character is less defined than the others. I think he's just a dreamer - not a leader. Hilarious choreography for Mercutio taunting Tybalt wearing a black tutu over leather pants.

Choreography is classic Ek -- very angular and emotional/not pretty, then suddenly fluid and linear. Ek has changed the ending and it works -- I can tell you what it is if you aren't going to see it, but it was a surprise/shock. Unfortunately, it is only in DC and LA.

Ek says he is taking a break (he's 70) and is not allowing his works to be performed for a while because he insists on staging them himself. He says it is only temporary. Maybe he will let Laguna stage them herself - she's only 60 I think.

Made me want to watch his Giselle film with Laguna again.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
I am looking forward to the NYC Ballet's Midsummer Night's Dream next weekend. I am out of touch with the company (well, all companies) these days, but I love that ballet. I have never seen such deft choreographic storytelling as in Act 1, so witty and lovely. A small moment that always makes me smile is when the bugs (played by young children wearing wings) fall in a pile and go to sleep. Act 2 is a bit dull but has that beautiful pas de deux. Hope the dancers are up to it, whoever they are.

My brother went to Midsummer Night's Dream and really enjoyed it. I've turned him into a total Balanchine balletomane, long distance no less. Now I just need to actually get out there and go with him! Since my work's closed in the winter he wants me to come out and see them in February. I need to figure what I really want to go to that's being performed then.

Spun Silver

My brother went to Midsummer Night's Dream and really enjoyed it. I've turned him into a total Balanchine balletomane, long distance no less. Now I just need to actually get out there and go with him! Since my work's closed in the winter he wants me to come out and see them in February. I need to figure what I really want to go to that's being performed then.
Good work with your brother. I am trying to imagine converting my brother to ballet (or skating) and choking on my coffee. His current project is to become the best cowboy shooter (whatever that is) in New Hampshire, the world, or something.

Alas, I missed Dream because of a long horrible case of bronchitis. Even when I was past the contagious stage, my cough would have upset anyone around me.

For February, I see they are doing Sonnambula, Four Temperaments and Prodigal Son -- three of Balanchine's greatest. Have fun!

Reactions: Rob

twizzletoes76

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Any fellow D.C.-area FSUers at Wolf Trap last night to see Misty Copeland? I wouldn't be surprised -- I think the entire D.C. area was there. :) The seats were all full and you couldn't have put a feather between people on the lawn!

Jubak

I was speaking to one of the corps members of NYC Ballet last week after they had just gotten back from 3 weeks in Paris. She said it was really inspiring and the audiences were more enthusiastic than they are here. Every time they performed they got 6-7 curtain calls for the company, not just principles, such that she said they were all tearing up it was so emotional. How wonderful for them! They are now in Saratoga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information