NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I saw Swan Lake at ABT tonight. It was Angel Corella's farewell performance. I really enjoyed it*, and what an ovation he got at the end! All the principal dancers (as well as his family, I think) came out and showered him with flowers, and the audience demanded curtain call after curtain call. :)

* I know it's not fashionable here to like ABT's Swan Lake, but I do anyway, so sue me :lol:
  2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Angel is going to poach some more ABT members before he goes back to Barcelona. Good riddance to Kevin if this is true!
    I haven't reviewed R&J because I am sooooo peeved with ABT this season. I attempted it several times but didn't post, because it kept turning into a rant. I will post tomorrow when I am feeling more serene.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Oh, that would be sweet if he did. Besides getting rid of McKenzie, they'd get to live in Barcelona!!!!!!
  4. Suiren

Suiren New Member

I don't know. Angel's company has been having some financial difficulties, what with the state of Spain's economy and the eurozone crisis. He might be focusing on paying the present dancers' wages before poaching ABT members. Nevertheless, I wish him all the best with his company. Vaya con Dios!
  5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a lovely review.
    How I wish I'd been able to see the performance.
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

9. Marge_Simpson

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

11. Marge_Simpson

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  12. Marge_Simpson

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I love that for $25+ backers get a digital download of the film, and for $50+ backers get the download of the film and outtakes.
  14. Marge_Simpson

I love that for $250 you get all of that plus the chance to see him in rehearsal. ;)
  15. Nancy on SINY

Nancy on SINY New Member

Marge, if you or another FSU-er can get to Sarasota this year or perhaps next year for the ballet program in August, I would be happy to share my experiences. I went there for vacation several years ago & stayed in the Hyatt hotel used by the ballet program - the nicest hotel I've ever been in. We got a great offseason discount & a similar program for chamber music was going on. We got to hang at the pool with the instructors & heard two concerts (one students only for free) & one by students & pros in the lovely concert hall about a block away from the hotel. The nice town library was across the street & the town bus stopped there so there was good public transportation. We also took the bus out to one of the beaches & visited the nearby Ringling Museum, with its mansion, circus museum, restaurant building & lovely grounds by the water. It's a great place to visit.
  16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

OK, I finished up my ABT season by going to Le Corsaire on Friday night in the godawful heat. The heat made me cranky and I realized that I hated the Jardin Anime scene; I thought it was too twee for words and the pastel-colored costumes made me bilious. The cast was Cornejo/Conrad, Reyes/Medora, Vasiliev/Ali, Sarah Lane/Gulnare, 3 Odalisques were Melanie Hamrick, Kristi Boone and Christine Shevchenko. Daniil Simkin did Lankendem (and was quite good, actually) - he got a thunderous round of applause as the first cast member on stage. I really think at least 3/4 of the audience thought he was Cornejo.

Vasiliev tore up the stage; that guy goes for broke, and he did something I, at least, have never seen on the ballet stage before. He had Reyes hoisted 88 feet up in the air over his head in THE Pas and he was carrying her to the back of the stage; at one point he just stopped and lifted his back leg so he was balancing on 1 foot while she was up in the stratosphere. We've seen that move a zillion times in ice dance lately, but ballet? For me, mais non. You could hear the thud of a 1,000 jaws hit the floor when Vasiliev executed that move.

Of the five women I listed above, only 1 of the Odalisques, and, alas, I don't know which one, was rock solid in her pointe work. You know, the big ta-da finish - go up on pointe at the end of your variation and wait for thunderous applause. 4 of the 5 women had the wobbles; no one actually fell off pointe but they all had hops and extra steps to stay up. Kudos to whichever Odalisque actually nailed it.

Overall, I did enjoy it though; it was a fun summer night that was not too demanding on the intellect.
  17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

He set up shop in Sarasota? I was there in March. It's really nice.
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Just as an FYI, I've heard great things about Iain Webb and the Sarasota Ballet. I tried to get there last February, but couldn't make it work out.

The Marcelo Gomes documentary is just under $20K, the 2/3 point, although people can withdraw pledges until the last minute. The deadline is 3 August, 18 days from now. I'm guessing the donation curve is a spike at the beginning and then a lesser one at the end. The filmmakers have just sent an update listing some of the blogs on which it has been publicized, including Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand.
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I saw some of the Sarasota Ballet do Diamonds with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet last year. They looked good. I also saw one of the soloists or principals (whose name escapes me) guest with another company, and her turn in bothered me, though the rest of her dancing was good. They are coming back next year with Les Patineurs as part of the Ballet Across America series so I will go see them.
  20. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

My cousin is a soloist with the Sarasota Ballet :)
  21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Cool, Male or female?
  22. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Rita
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Your cousin is lovely :glamor:

Sarasota Ballet performs each program only twice or three times, but their rep puts many companies to shame. Among the ballets they're doing next year are:

• Ashton's "Symphonic Variations," "A Birthday Offering,"Les Rendezvous," and "La Fille Mal Gardee"
    • Tudor's "Lilac Garden"
    • Taylor's "Company B"

which is more Ashton than the Royal Ballet is doing and more Tudor than American Ballet Theatre is doing.
  24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Actually, ABT had Tudor's The Leaves are Fading listed for its upcoming fall week at City Center.
  25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They have a great Rep - great combination of Balanchine, Bournonville, Ashton, DeMille, Tharp, Taylor, some classic full lengths, and new stuff like Wheeldon, Bourne, Kobborg, and others.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I missed the Tudor :eek: Thank you for the correction, emason.

Rob, if you mean ABT, most of that rep is now squeezed into a very short fall season at City Center and a few mixed bill programs mixed into the Met season in the Spring, which consists mainly of full-lengths.

In the 60's and 70's, the City Center season was what most of the full Spring season was like. ABT has been a questionable caretaker of what had been their core rep, especially the fragile Tudor masterworks. ABT is doing "The Leaves are Fading"; Sarasota Ballet is doing "Lilac Garden." Perhaps this is because ABT lost most of its ability to coach "Lilac Garden", while there are enough dancers around, like Amanda McKerrow, who worked with Tudor on "Leaves".

Marcelo loves Lua
  27. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Just watched Marcelo loves Lua. It is sooooo sweet. I've seen him in several ballets this season as well as "Kings of Dance" & love his work.
  28. Marge_Simpson

The Kickstarter project was fully funded. So when do I get to see Marcelo in rehearsal? :swoon:

I am totally spoiled for other ballet companies after seeing POB's Giselle, which was totally sublime. However, I need input from other ballet-goers. I'm considering going to DC, either in October or November. I don't need an excuse to go, because I always have a blast there, but I may as well go when there is some ballet at the Kennedy Center. So: Do I see the Mariinksy's "Cinderella", the Washington Ballet's "Dracula", or the San Francisco Ballet?
    I am not especially fond of "Cinderella", but "Dracula" sounds voidy, and I adore SFB.
    Advice, please! :)
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know if it's the figure skating Shin Amano, but there's a Shin Amano backing the film.

I would skip the "Dracula." I think the party would be more interesting than the ballet. George Jackson called Ratmansky's "Cinderella" "misbegotten", and here is Alexandra Tomalonis' review from 2005:
    http://danceviewtimes.typepad.com/where_were_you_sitting/2005/01/bleak-house.html#more

Here's Vishneva after the ball:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJW2Ra335I

Obraztsova/Lobukhin in the adagio:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrV3cj0JBkI

Alina Somova in the ball solo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDt7eDZJN8&feature=player_embedded

I would love to be able to see this.

I've never seen any of the four pieces on the SFB program, but you can be sure the dancers will be great. Lorena Feijoo just had her baby; I'm not sure if she's planning to try to be back before the regular season rep that starts next January.

Mixed Repertory Program (Nov. 13 & 14)
    Trio (Tomasson/Tchaikovsky)
    RAkU (Possokhov/Eshima)
    Number Nine (Wheeldon/Torke)

Romeo & Juliet (Nov. 15–18)
    Choreography by Helgi Tomasson
    Music by Sergei Prokofiev
  30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Review, please. I'm kicking myself that I didn't go to see it. I did catch the mixed bill; the Bolero was sensational, but the rest of it was meh.
  31. Marge_Simpson

32. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

What a beautiful site, Marge! I scrolled all the way down-their visuals are stunning!

This isn't performance related per se, but I am very excited. My studio in Atlanta is hosting the southeastern segment of the Youth America Grand Prix this coming year. Don't know if any of you saw "First Position," but that's the same organization/events. It's not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it has seen some fantastic dancers come through its competition. I look forward to meeting some wonderful teachers and artistic directors who will be giving master classes in our new facility, and watching all the young talent perform their variations.
  33. Marge_Simpson

Heads-up for New Yorkers: Tickets for Works and Process at the Guggenheim go on sale Monday Aug 13. These sell out quickly, so if you're thinking of buying tickets, do it on Monday. They are likely to be all gone by Tuesday.
    Some good stuff!

PNB: Sunday Sept 9 at 7:30PM (this will be streamed live), Monday Sept 10 at 3PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

NYCB: Sunday Sept 23 at 7:30 PM, Monday Sept 24 at 7:30 PM

ABT: Sunday Sept 30 at 7:30 PM (will be streamed live), Monday Oct 1 at 3 PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

RDB: (whoo-hoo! the one they did last year was my favorite of all the W&P's I've attended) Sunday Oct 21 at 7:30 PM (will be streamed live) Monday Oct 22 at 3 PM and 7:30 PM (no reception after the 3 PM performance)

I'm definitely seeing the RDB on Monday Oct 22. Not sure about ABT as I'd have to get time off from work.
  34. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thanks for the alert. I'll definitely take a look on Monday.
  35. Marge_Simpson

I decided to skip ABT this time around. I'm going to see PNB on Sept 9 and the evening performance of RDB on Oct 22.
    If you get tickets for any of the same dates we could do dinner first. Or just hang around at the reception and scarf up the sandwiches. :)

I'm going to see the Smuin Ballet this Friday at the Joyce. I've never heard of them, but they look pretty voidy. Incidentally, the Trocks will be there Dec 12 - Jan 6. Group outing, anyone? They are hysterically funny.
  36. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I just blew my budget on opera tickets. Don't know what else I can swing at this point, but I'll take a look.

I already have tickets to the Trocks, Weds. Dec. 19th and Weds. Dec. 26th.

ETA: OK, I am so easily led astray, Marge, that I signed up for the 2 Works + Process when you are going. Definitely we can have a meet-up of some kind.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  37. Marge_Simpson

38. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am going to all 3; I go Thursday nights (not sure which week for Dracula- will let you know). I have never seen anything by Michael Pink.

I saw Cinderella in 2005 - its sugary and fine; not my favorite. Wish they were bringing something else this time.

Looking forward to SFB!

I meant Sarasota.
  39. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Until now, I've only heard the Ratmansky "Cinderella" described as modern-ish and tough, unlike the Ashton, apart from the scary stepsisters, especially when the ultra-scary one was done by Helpmann. You have lots of company in being disappointed that they chose to bring this to the Kennedy Center again.
  40. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I presume they use the Prokoviev score for Cinderella. I LOVE Prokoviev, but for some reason I have never liked this ballet score. It has its moments, but overall, it is no Romeo and Juliet. (Personally, I love his Violin Concertos which have been used for ballet very successfully.) Cinderella's music leaves me cold.