NY Ballet fans

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, May 14, 2011.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I saw it in the mid 70s with Baryshnikov/Kirkland. There is also some spotty video of Anthony Dowell with maybe Merle Park (I think) from the 60s. Never my favorite but I didn't think it was so weird (but there was a lot of weird being trotted out back then).

My friends and I call Kevin "the Crypt Keeper" because of his love of restoring old ballets that don't necessarily need restoring. He probably got that from our teacher - she was quite the historian herself.

More Misha -- The best part of the movie The Turning Point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPZSAURSb8
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I loved that movie back in the day, and recently watched an old VHS copy. Still such a good movie, with great acting and great dancing.

Sadly the only DVDs available right now are used, and very, very expensive. Given all the interest in dance these days, you'd think they'd reissue it - must be caught up in rights or something.
  3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

LOL at the Crypt Keeper. However, we have to agree to disagree on restoring the old ballets. This is Ballet Theatre, after all, and I think they need to keep revisiting the theatre pieces from their past. I enjoy seeing the revivals; unfortunately just not this one, and I really wonder how much losing their star, Cornejo, affected the outcome.

I'm curious to see what kind of a review this gets from the Times - a pan or a crack cocaine I loved it review. Considering there were two world premieres and one US premiere on the program in addition to Shadowplay, there should be a review.
  4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Do you have Netflix? They have it available as streaming video.
  5. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

6. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

God I love the Trocks! I've seen them a few times live...and I have all the respect in the world for their athleticism AND their "interpretation." Thanks for that, Marge. That started my day off on the right note! LOVE the little swan on the right end....and the pas de chats that look like pouncing puppies! And the head noodles.....

My pre-pro company had a young man as a guest male dancer for Nutcracker one year who turned out to be a very big deal diva in another one of those all male ballet troupes. He was just gorgeous when costumed out as a ballerina and had fabulous feet for pointe! What a riot....I should try to find him online and trot him out for you....
  8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The Trocks are amazing. They very nicely come to the Joyce in NY every other year at the end of December, which is when my birthday is. My birthday outing with my best friend is always a trip to the Trocks.

The thing about them that's really wonderful is that they are actually even funnier the more seriously they take the dancing. Some of their best dancers put the rest of the NY scene to shame. They did a Tarantella a few years ago that was better than what City Ballet does; City Ballet's version hasn't looked that good in years.

Go Trocks.
  9. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

10. Marge_Simpson

If anyone is going to see Diana and Marcelo in "Giselle" tomorrow and wants to meet up, let me know. :)
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh I like many of the revivals. I do see Cornejo in the role though so I would guess that would have made a difference. But not every ballet is a masterpiece.
  12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

You've probably already seen the review by now, but just in case: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/a...at-met-opera-house-review.html?_r=1&ref=dance

Also, apparently Natalie Portman was there:
    :lol:
  13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I did read it this morning, but thanks for posting. I really don't agree with a lot of what he had to say, but, then again, he has much better seats than I do and in consequence has a whole different view of things.

Sorry, Marge S, but even though Giselle is my favorite ballet, my budget is busted. I do have a ticket later on for Semionova in Swan Lake. That may take the sting out of not seeing any Giselles.
  14. Marge_Simpson

I am seeing that Swan Lake also. Hope to see you again!
  15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Between the Swan Lake and the Royal Danish we should meet up at some point. I'm going by myself to the SL, so that should be doable.
  16. Marge_Simpson

17. Cheylana

Wait, you guys are talking about the July 2 evening Swan Lake performance? I'll be at that one too!
  18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the one. Calling all FSUers.

ETA: I am nothing if not easily led astray. I am now going to Giselle on Monday. Will report.
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. Marge_Simpson

FSU get together! Eys! Who wants to meet for dinner before SL?????
  20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm in.
  21. Marge_Simpson

Just tell me where and when.
    Diana and Marcelo tonight, wheee!!!
    I may go to see Julie and Jose on Tuesday as I start my vacation then. Anyone attending that Giselle?
    I am off to DC on Wednesday to see National Ballet of Cuba. I am psyched....
  22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Hoping for a detailed review! Hope you enjoyed it. :)
  23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

You are on your own on this one; I find Julie Kent to be the most boring and uninteresting of dancers out there. She leaves such a vapid impression every time I see her that I don't even recognize her the next time I go. There is no there there as they say. Sorry, not a fan.
  24. Marge_Simpson

Do you honestly think I am going to see "Giselle" on that particular night because Julie is doing the role? She is dancing with JOSE!
    Julie is not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's fine. Personally, I don't get any of the Daniil Simpkin worship and gnash my teeth at the mention of his name. :scream:
    If anyone criticizes Jose here, however, things will get ugly. :lol:
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I envy all of you!
    I'll look forward to the "FSU report"(s).
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  26. Cheylana

Me too! :)

Marge, hope you enjoy Giselle tonight. I'm seeing the Saturday evening performance. I'm excited to see Giselle again, because the only other time I saw it, I had my (now ex) boyfriend with me and he was cracking immature "men in tights" jokes the whole time and generally wouldn't behave himself! Huge distraction :rolleyes:
  27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I'm going Saturday too - my birthday present a week early!

Excited to see Cojocaru in her best role.
  28. Marge_Simpson

Lara, it will be so nice to meet you again!
  29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I haven't seen DS enough to decide if I worship or not. However, not even Jose could get me to see a Giselle with Julie. One of the worst Swan Lakes I ever saw was Jose with Diana V. They brought out the worst in each other and were a total stylistic mismatch. He came out of it much better than she did and it was some time before I wanted to see her in a big role again. In short, at this point, I have to have some hope that the partnership will work - one dancer is not usually enough to get me to commit to a ticket.
  30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo