NY Ballet fans

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, May 14, 2011.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

Judging by the "hefty dancer" thread awhile back, it seems quite a few of us attend the ballet.
    I'm going to see ABT's Don Quixote this Friday. With my divine sex god Jose Carreno and Alina Cojacaru. :lol: If anyone else is also attending and would like to meet for a drink or dinner beforehand, or just meet up at intermission, let me know.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Marge_Simpson

Well, I will try again!
    If anyone is attending on Tuesday May 24(mixed bill) or Friday May 27 (Giselle w/Vishneva and Gomes) and wants to meet up, let me know. :)

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

SO wish I could see Vishneva's Giselle live. :fragile: Then I'll be ready for October 21st or whenever the next end of the world is scheduled. Please post your reviews!

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Just seeing this thread. Yay for ballet fans!

But alas, my friend and I saw Don Quixote last night, i.e., Saturday night performance. Gillian Murphy/Cory Stearns. I haven't seen DQ in several years, so it was great seeing it again. Especially loved the second act dream sequence and the third act. I wouldn't say GM had a ton of Spanish flair but she seems like an amazing dancer to this totally no-teknik ballet fan. What did you think, Marge?

And we are going to see Giselle, but our tickets are for next Saturday night. I don't think we got tix for any Friday evening performances. :-/

5. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I am going to the May 24th mixed bill, but I am going with a friend and having dinner with her first, so no chance for a meet up. We can, however, have a discussion here afterwards. I'm especially looking forward to Shadowplay.

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

If only! Enjoy, Marge, for me too. It's tough to love something so much and yet live far away from the hub of things. We have decent enough dance here, but it ain't NYC...

Fortunately my daughter lives in NJ close enough to the train to get to the City with good planning and foresight. I saw ABT several years ago-La Bayadere. Gillian Murphy was Gamzatti, and she was just perfect for that role! Her triple triple triple fouettes were insane.

I need to come back for another Ballet Fix!

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Enjoy for me, as well!
    I'll await your impressions and the discussion, here.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, Gillian Murphy's fouettés are so incredibly athletic! The triples! :eek:

9. Marge_Simpson

I am looking forward to seeing this man, who is incredibly handsome, a lovely dancer, and should have been promoted to soloist years ago:
    http://www.abt.org/dancers/detail.asp?Dancer_ID=100

Can we meet up at one of the intermissions? If it's not raining, I will be on the balcony. I will be easy to identify - I will wear my funky straw hat.

Is anyone going to Jose Carreno's farewell performance on June 30th? I requested to be off from work as soon as it was announced (I work evenings) and have splurged on an orchestra seat. I am planning to have dinner at a Cuban restaurant first (and drink a mojito) I am apt to be a bit weepy as I simply adore Jose, but would love to have company for dinner.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

If I win the lottery, I'll see you there. :p

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

12. Marge_Simpson

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Wow, and the guy started off doing 6 turns on one foot. And all those clunky gymnasts have trouble getting around a triple turn without falling out of it. lol

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The Swan Lake fouettés made me think of the Don Quixote fouettés and then by association, of this surreal performance.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Carreno's final performance sold out long before I decided to try to get a ticket; I will just have to content myself with the memory of the fine performances of his that I have seen.

I sent you a PM with my seat location as I most likely will remain in my seat. Come on by if you feel like it.

16. Marge_Simpson

Of course I will feel like it. I'll see you Tuesday. :)
    For Carreno's farewell, you can keep checking ABT's website, sometimes people turn in tickets that they can't use.
    I am going to chuck something on stage for him at the curtain call. Not flowers, and not my panties. :lol: It is my dearest wish that I get a photo of him holding it.

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I hope you get your wish.

E.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^Wow! And this below shows how MB was always restless to dance in whatever medium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBZCrBHMm4

Thanks for the info and the links. The thing I miss most about living in New York is ballet at Lincoln Center!

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think it's the case with some ballet greats--having danced, mastered and reinvented all classical roles, they get bored and look for the next challenge.

Fon instance, Vishneva having done all the major classical roles, turned to modern dance in her Beauty In Motion.

20. Marge_Simpson

That's one thing I especially admire about Jose. NO role is beyond him :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS54j9YMlnc

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I think this just went to the top of this list as my favorite Giselle ever. Thanks.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

24. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

26. Marge_Simpson

"Shadowplay" was, without a doubt, the weirdest thing I have ever seen on the stage, and this is coming from a person who has seen the Mats Ek "Giselle"
    All I knew going in was that the piece was based on "The Jungle Book". I expected to like it as it was choreographed by Antony Tudor and I adore all the Tudor works I have seen in the past.
    I can understand why ABT has not performed this piece in 30 years. Tudor was clearly under the influence of hallucinogens when he thought this up. What was Kevin McKenzie on when he decided to trot this out again?
    Perhaps I am just clueless and the true meaning went over my head, but here is a summary and my take on it:
    Craig Salstein, as the Boy with Matted Hair (a total misnomer as Craig has a buzz cut) looked grumpy and/or constipated and sat under the tree of knowledge, channelling "The Thinker". While he was thinking, the Penumbra Arboreals entered and squatted on stage and hung from vines and mocked Craig. I have no idea what a Penumbra Arboreal is, but they looked and acted like monkeys to me. One of them sat behind another, obviously searching for lice, found one, and ate it. Ewww!
    (How degrading to be cast as a monkey! What if your mom was in the audience? What would you tell her? "Oh, I'm the third monkey on the left!")
    Then the "aerials" entered. The aerials were ladies with pointy swim caps on their heads. The swooped around Craig and mocked him. Craig brooded some more.
    Then Cory Stearns entered, as "Terrestrial". He wore baggy gym shorts, a fur cap, and a shirt that bared his manly (?) chest. He seemed to be smitten with Craig, but why anyone would fall head over heals for a chubby guy with a receding hairline seemed to be stretching things. (I could understand if he fell for Jose Carreno :lol:) But hey, whatever floats your boat. Cory stuck his head in Craig's crotch and Craig no longer looked constipated. He did a few pirouettes and went back to sitting under the tree, looking very pleased with himself and/or Cory.
    The monkeys/penumbras came back out and mocked Craig some more and whacked him in the head.
    Then the "Celestials" entered. These were Roddy Doble and Patrick Ogle displaying Xiomara Reyes. They held her up by her inner thighs, which looked quite painful to me. Craig seemed interested and got up from the tree to take a better look. They did a pdd with a hilarious glitch, Craig had to duck his head at one point to avoid being whacked in the face by her toe shoe. Perhaps she was pissed off at the celestials squeezing her thighs? At any rate, she showed Craig what REAL sex was like. Craig looked pleased and went back to his tree.
    Then Xiomara showed her true colors, she liked things rough and took a few whacks at him as well.
    Cory and the monkeys came back on. The monkeys looked happy that Craig had discovered the true meaning of life, but Cory looked peeved that Craig preferred Xiomara to him. He bent down in front of him with his backside facing the audience, but Craig wasn't having any of it. The Celestials hoisted Xiomara by her butt and took her off the stage.
    The end. Someone needs to give Kevin a few whacks and tell him to shelve this permanently.
    I had to clap my hands over my mouth to keep myself from bursting into hysterical laughter. Fortunately there was an intermssion after this piece so I went to the bar. They do not stock brain bleach, so I settled for a glass of wine.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  27. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

28. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm LOL at your review, Marge. It was bad, no doubt about it, and I'm very disappointed as I was really looking forward to this. I love Tudor, but somehow, I had never seen this before, even back in the days when ABT did it all the time.

However, you nailed the problem with your comment above about Carreno. The Boy with the Matted Hair needs to be danced by someone with charisma and stage presence - think Baryshnikov or Fernando Bujones. Salstein is not ready for this role yet; he wasn't projecting, there was no star power there.

Also, Tudor is long gone from this world, as are some of ABT's star Tudor interpreters, like Sallie Wilson or Nora Kaye. If any one of these had been around to supervise this revival, it might have been something else all together - or if Cornejo weren't injured and had been able to do the role.

Now I really wish I had seen this back in its heyday 35 years ago.

As for the rest of the program, Dumbarton was forgettable - no connection between any of the dancers on stage. It was a ho hum curtain-raiser and nothing more. The last piece, Thirteen Diversions, might have something going for it, but not until they change the lighting. Too much of it was much too dim; I want to see the dancers for god's sake.

I thought Troika was the best thing of the night- real connection between the dancers, interesting choreography and so on.

It was great to meet you; I'll see you again soon, I hope.

Meanwhile I am very out of the loop on dancers getting buzz these days. Who is Vasiliev and what do I need to know about him, since I will be seeing him in Coppelia?

ETA: If you want seriously weird, subject yourself to Watermill next time NYCB decides to do it again.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Marge_Simpson

Ivan Vasiliev is Natalia Osipova's SO, I saw him at the YAGP back in March. He did the Don Quixote pdd with NBC's Viengsay Valdes. They both blew me away. I did hear a few comments that both were over-the-top, but IMO, it was a gala, and the Don Q pdd is meant for showing off. They got the only standing O in an otherwise dull evening.
    Ivan and Viengsay couldn't have had more than a day or two rehearsing together, but they looked like they'd danced together for years. I cannot locate the clip I saw at the YAGP, but here he is with Natalia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3RjZvjilA&feature=related

30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thanks.