Nutmeg State Games...Figure Skating

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, May 16, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who will be going to compete in it? Or at least someone who can please tell me if they are getting an unusual number of Skates signed-up for competition this year? As compared to last year. As I would think that's the only way this could happen. Because I heard and read that the Competition is July,9th. But may go into July,10th (if nesasary). So I'm trying to figue out why it may even be nessaery. As from what I know. The competition is an all-day event. So it would be really unlikely (not happening either) that they'd have to over-lap. Thanks.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

But,why are they thinking a 2nd day might be needed? Are there so many skaters signing up this year they just have to HOPE for the normal ONE Day event? What goes on?

4. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

When a club applies for a competition sanction from USFS, they have to specify the dates of the competition. So if the club thinks that there might be chance of getting too many skaters to fit into one day, they apply for two days. Then they have to announce that the competition will run for two days. If they don't get enough skaters to use the second day, it's still okay and they can hold a test session or something else on the second day.

If they only got a sanction for one day, and then had too many skaters to fit into it, then they'd have to refund fees for the skaters they couldn't accommodate. They can only hold the competition on the date they have a sanction for.

NSG is offering a lot of events so so it's very possible they could need two days to fit everything in.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So,basicly a Club,Rink,or what-not,always asks for 1-more day then needed auto. just in case something happens,right? BTW. define Sanction.

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

A "sanction" is US Figure Skating giving a club permission to hold a competition. The entry forms get checked out, and the club has to show what events they plan to hold, what officials are coming to judge the competition, and other things. US Figure Skating needs to know that the club will follow the rules of competition and that everything will be done correctly and fairly. When they are satisfied, they give the club permission to invite skaters to the competition.

7. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So it's kind of like a contract or agreement that a Rink signs with a Federation saying they promous to follow the Rules of the Federation for that competition? As they just can't say they're holding one,just in case they have dishonost people running the competition,right?

8. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes, you pretty much have the idea! :)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

10. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Thank you Sylvia. It's good to know they can get it all in 1 Day. Are any Skaters here going to be competing? I'd love to meet you. I'm not sure what I'll be wearing. So I hope anyone who wants to meet me can find me.

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I just went today. It was fun. Has anyone here ever skated in the Nutmeg Games? BOY!!! I sure wish I could be like the young Skaters I saw there and compete.