Now We're Naming Snow Storms?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Feb 8, 2013.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

We got about 8" - 9". Not too bad. Very windy! Plow has not cleared the driveway yet. Can't shovel it, too steep and long. Will shovel the sidewalk later. The snow will just blow back in, anyway. Looks like CT got hit the hardest. Milford got 36"! We've had that a few times, miserable! One year (mid '90s) we got about 36" and had 12 ft. drifts! Our garage is basement level, and the snow was over the top of the garage doors!

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I post on a weather message board with some VERY respected mets and almost all of them think this naming system is just something cooked up by the media. It's even more obvious when you realize the Weather Channel is doing this and that the National Weather Service wants nothing to do with it.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Last night I saw the news about the snow storms in the North east. Feel sad for those folks. If they lose power, it's going to be really tough without heat (or may be they use oil for heating?). In any case, stay safe. This storm will also pass.

5. cruisin

I can tell you that we have power in NJ (I have not seen any NJ areas that lost power due to this storm). There are a few spots on Long Island that lost power, but they are saying it will only be for 24 hours - tops. Don't have info for CT or MA.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My mom saw "The Day After Tomorrow" for the first time yesterday and that storm looks like the movie storm without the eye. I feel for anyone getting pelted by it. Boston looks like it took quite a hit.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I had the cool(?) experience of getting on one of the last flights out of LaGuardia ...counted all of 5 planes visible at any terminal I could see by the time we left (3PM).

What wasn't so cool: we got on-board for an 11 am departure. Got to #1 for take-off. Ran off the end of our de-icing time. Returned to gate. Got re-deiced. Went back into line. Timed out a second time. Wandered in the wilderness (aka, exploring all the taxiways of La Guardia). Needed more fuel. Got fuel. Required to come back to the gate by irked passenger service agent. (Pilot wanted to deice elsewhere.) Passenger service agent boards, advises crew that since the 3 hour window has passed, federal regulations require that passengers be given the opportunity to deplane to get food & drink. Captain argues. (I'm in second row with a GREAT rinkside view of all of this.) Passenger Service Agent makes the announcement. Captain takes the mike and says that all that is true, but if anyone gets off we can pretty much plan on the plane spending the night at La Guardia. Giant roar of NO from the passengers. :lol: Decision by crew to serve us bread and water (pretzels and water, actually). Lady with anxiety disorder behind me decides to get off and not come back. Nine additional passengers got on desperate to get anywhere as long as it was out of NY. HAPPY to go to St. Louis, one said. They then cut some deal with American to allow us to deice in front of their hangar, which was much closer to the runway, and we finally managed to get off. Cheers from all. :D (The crew gets huge props for being cheerful throughout this whole thing.) Got to St. Louis and the nice gate agent there already had printed new boarding passes for everyone needing connecting flights. Long day to get home, but I finally made it.

8. once_upon

once_upon charming i'm sure

I don't understand the posters who complain about storms being designated as a huge storm with major impact turning out to be a nothing. I would prefer to be prepared than not prepared for potential lack of services.

If one has a family member or neighbor with significant health issues, mobility issues, planning/preparing for a big storm is better than being without a plan.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^I don't remember anyone complaining about that. What *I* get annoyed with is the hyping up of the kind of weather that is perfectly normal for this part of the country at this time of year, going back loooong before there was any such thing as climate change. Irene and Lee last year, & Sandy this year, OTOH, those kind of storms are NOT normal for the Northeast region, but a major snowstorm up here should be considered routune and par for the course of living here.

10. cruisin

I would include the Halloween storm last year. As much as getting a foot or more of snow in the NE is normal, it is rare to get it late October. A storm like that with leaves on the trees = devastating. But, in February, pretty expected.

11. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

If they want to address climate change in winter they probably shouldn't focus on the winter storms in the Northeast but should focus on the lack of snow in states like Colorado. It's the second year in a row that their snowfall isn't nearly where it should be at this time of the year.
    But the audience the weather channel named the storms for probably cares more about "dramatic" snow storms than the lack thereof.

12. cruisin

I think that part of the "drama" of this storm was that we have had such mild winters for the last few years, in the NE. Weather, in general has been weird for a while. Stays cold well into Spring. Stays warm well into Fall (with the exception of last October). I can remember Spring break, when I was in high school, we could sit out in the sun with shorts and tank tops in April. Not now.

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think they really deep down loved the ratings from Katrina and desperately want something equally blockbuster. You could TELL the Weather Channel was absolutely heartbroken when that hurricane didn't end up hitting the RNC in Florida or turning into a superstorm. I'm not saying they WANT people to be hurt or homeless, but they love a good disaster they can milk for all it's worth.

14. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

We are buried here. 24 inches and no power for 25 hours. Newer heaters, gas or oil, don't work without electricity. I was so freezing it wasn't funny. Some people south of us are expected to be without power until Tuesday. OMG.

15. cruisin

(((Bonita))) having gone through it, I totally feel for you. Is there somewhere you can go? Please keep in touch and keep us updated. Sending warm hugs.

16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

We were pretty lucky in central MA. My mother lives down in Connecticut and she is still buried in her house. They haven't even plowed her street yet.

17. cruisin

Does Mom have power?

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I don't mind them naming snow storms. But Nemo? That's got to be the lamest name for a snowstorm ever.

19. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Friend of mine lives in CT, and has a flight to catch tomorrow. 38" of snow in her backyard, and no plows in sight. She finally left the house on foot to get to the train station and get to JFK. Last I heard, she was almost there.

20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Actually the Winter of 2010-2011 was very snow-heavy, at least where I live. Practically every week in January my employer was letting us go home early at least one day per week because of snow. According to my blog, we were let out on January 7, 12, 18, & February 2, all because of heavy snow. And it all started with the December 26-27 2010 storm, when I couldn't even get out of the parking lot at home because my dumb-ass landlord couldn't be bothered to get over to plow it out until 5:00 PM (this was on a Monday), & he had the nerve to say to me "your job didn't REALLY expect you to show up, did they?" Uhh... yeah, as a matter of fact they did, & he's lucky they were understanding about it.

2011-2012 winter was a very different story - only snowed 3 times and every time the snow was gone within days. And then there was that week last March when it was in the 80's during the day. THAT was weird!

21. cruisin

^^ You are much farther north than we are. I probably should not have said the entire NE. I should have said the NY, NJ, CT metropolitan area.

Does anyone remember the ice and snow storm we had early '90s that left about 4" of packed snow and ice on Rt. 287? It was so bad that they closed the road from Morris County to the NY border for 2 days.

22. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Thanks. We got power back within 25 hours. So all warm again! Not so for two family members and a friend - they are still out and utterly miserable. And my poor 80-year-old dad had no power for a day and a half.

We had shelters in the city where I live, and there was a shuttle picking up anyone who wanted to go - very organized. I just didn't want to leave my animals - they were miserable too and needed comfort.

Watching TV in a warm house last night while eating hot food - totally priceless.

23. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Yep, I worked at the top of Winter Street! :)

The Governor instituting the driving ban in MA was the best possible thing. Making sure people were home safely and then not interfering with road cleaning really was the right call. And even now, back roads are narrower and even on the highway and main roads, whole lanes are buried under huge snowbanks. You have to really inch out carefully onto roads because the snowbanks block your view.

This was definitely the most snow at once I've ever seen in my lifetime. Craziness.

24. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

And I can definitely attest to the difference!!! :lol:

25. cruisin

Thank goodness. And thanks for letting us know. My thoughts are with your family members and friends.

26. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Thanks. My brother and his wife still have no power. They don't want to leave their cats so are staying and suffering. Ugh.