Now We're Naming Snow Storms?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

If they want to address climate change in winter they probably shouldn't focus on the winter storms in the Northeast but should focus on the lack of snow in states like Colorado. It's the second year in a row that their snowfall isn't nearly where it should be at this time of the year.
    But the audience the weather channel named the storms for probably cares more about "dramatic" snow storms than the lack thereof.
  2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think that part of the "drama" of this storm was that we have had such mild winters for the last few years, in the NE. Weather, in general has been weird for a while. Stays cold well into Spring. Stays warm well into Fall (with the exception of last October). I can remember Spring break, when I was in high school, we could sit out in the sun with shorts and tank tops in April. Not now.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think they really deep down loved the ratings from Katrina and desperately want something equally blockbuster. You could TELL the Weather Channel was absolutely heartbroken when that hurricane didn't end up hitting the RNC in Florida or turning into a superstorm. I'm not saying they WANT people to be hurt or homeless, but they love a good disaster they can milk for all it's worth.
  4. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

We are buried here. 24 inches and no power for 25 hours. Newer heaters, gas or oil, don't work without electricity. I was so freezing it wasn't funny. Some people south of us are expected to be without power until Tuesday. OMG.
  5. cruisin

(((Bonita))) having gone through it, I totally feel for you. Is there somewhere you can go? Please keep in touch and keep us updated. Sending warm hugs.
  6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

We were pretty lucky in central MA. My mother lives down in Connecticut and she is still buried in her house. They haven't even plowed her street yet.
  7. cruisin

Does Mom have power?
  8. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I don't mind them naming snow storms. But Nemo? That's got to be the lamest name for a snowstorm ever.
  9. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Friend of mine lives in CT, and has a flight to catch tomorrow. 38" of snow in her backyard, and no plows in sight. She finally left the house on foot to get to the train station and get to JFK. Last I heard, she was almost there.
  10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Actually the Winter of 2010-2011 was very snow-heavy, at least where I live. Practically every week in January my employer was letting us go home early at least one day per week because of snow. According to my blog, we were let out on January 7, 12, 18, & February 2, all because of heavy snow. And it all started with the December 26-27 2010 storm, when I couldn't even get out of the parking lot at home because my dumb-ass landlord couldn't be bothered to get over to plow it out until 5:00 PM (this was on a Monday), & he had the nerve to say to me "your job didn't REALLY expect you to show up, did they?" Uhh... yeah, as a matter of fact they did, & he's lucky they were understanding about it.

2011-2012 winter was a very different story - only snowed 3 times and every time the snow was gone within days. And then there was that week last March when it was in the 80's during the day. THAT was weird!
  11. cruisin

^^ You are much farther north than we are. I probably should not have said the entire NE. I should have said the NY, NJ, CT metropolitan area.

Does anyone remember the ice and snow storm we had early '90s that left about 4" of packed snow and ice on Rt. 287? It was so bad that they closed the road from Morris County to the NY border for 2 days.
  12. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Thanks. We got power back within 25 hours. So all warm again! Not so for two family members and a friend - they are still out and utterly miserable. And my poor 80-year-old dad had no power for a day and a half.

We had shelters in the city where I live, and there was a shuttle picking up anyone who wanted to go - very organized. I just didn't want to leave my animals - they were miserable too and needed comfort.

Watching TV in a warm house last night while eating hot food - totally priceless.
  13. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Yep, I worked at the top of Winter Street! :)

The Governor instituting the driving ban in MA was the best possible thing. Making sure people were home safely and then not interfering with road cleaning really was the right call. And even now, back roads are narrower and even on the highway and main roads, whole lanes are buried under huge snowbanks. You have to really inch out carefully onto roads because the snowbanks block your view.

This was definitely the most snow at once I've ever seen in my lifetime. Craziness.
  14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

And I can definitely attest to the difference!!! :lol:
  15. cruisin

Thank goodness. And thanks for letting us know. My thoughts are with your family members and friends.
  16. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Thanks. My brother and his wife still have no power. They don't want to leave their cats so are staying and suffering. Ugh.