Now We're Naming Snow Storms?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Feb 8, 2013.

1. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Well, the NE is going to get hit again. But, the media is loosing it. Now we're naming snow storms? Snow storm Nemo? The coverage is 24/7! Storm of the century! Predicting 12" to 18" worst case scenarios. I remember 36" about 10 years ago, how soon they forget. And this can't be worse than the Halloween storm last year, that was about 10" - 12". At least it's February and the leaves are off the trees. Ran to the grocery store for bread, this morning, you'd think we were expecting to be house bound for weeks. Did cancel my hair appointment for this afternoon. I wouldn't get home until 3:30 and my driveway is very steep and slippery with even 1" of snow. So, not scraping the sides of my car on the rock walls lining the driveway warrant waiting until Tuesday for my haircut/color.

I do feel for the victims of Sandy, who are still homeless, however. This is weather insult on top of insult. Even though the most effected are those in the shore areas, and there will not be much snow there, there will be rain and potential flooding. Everyone stay safe and warm.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Apparently the naming of snowstorms makes it easier to track them both now and for history. When we call everything "the Christmas Blizzard" and "Snowmageddon" it makes it hard to reference later. In the current time, it makes it easier for people to listen to forecasts, because they know the difference between "Nemo" (what you guys are getting) and "we're expecting some snow" (what we are getting). It also increases awareness as they track progress across the country and predictions change (like tropical storm and hurricane categories)

Quite honestly, I'm happy to have winter storm names just so the stations stop calling every bit of snow "Snowmageddon"- man that was getting darn annoying, now the name changes every time.

(Apparently The Weather Channel is doing the naming, and the national weather service doesn't like it though!)

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

My dad's theory: They didn't get enough big hurricane names this year so they have to do something.

It's silly. You could just call it 'the blizzard of '79' or equivalent, or just accept it's called LIVING WHERE IT SNOWS. I mean, Boston gets two feet of snow? Been there, done that, at least this time Mumbles & Co got a clue and cancelled stuff in advance instead of recommending people leave work at 2 for a storm hitting at 3 so the roads would be completely packed and the plows couldn't get through, trapping people in the streets and on the freeways for hours. (I took one look at 95 and chugged home slowly on the side streets in my front-wheel drive, with no problems until I got stuck in my own driveway. A twenty-minute drive took two and a half hours, but I was luckier than my coworkers, one of whom got stranded less than a block from work and another got stuck on the freeway.)

Though it gave me a giggle when someone on the radio mispronounced Mumbles's last name as "Merino" (as in the sheep) instead of "Menino."

I understand a little freaking out by places that normally don't get snow (it IS a big deal if you're Atlanta and only have two snowplows for a major metropolis) but for areas that SHOULD grasp winter can mean HUGE snow, sheesh. It's like building in a flood plain and being surprised when you get wet. I live east of Lake Michigan, I'm going to get buried at least once per winter, it just happens.

4. Skittl1321

I just read an article that said "well, twitter needs a hashtag".

Can't really do that. Part of 'living where it snows' is that there is usually at least 2 major storms, and quite a few minor ones...

5. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

But 6" to 12" of snow is not a big deal here. It happens in the NE. We have plows. We pre-brine/saline the streets. My biggest issue is the driveway, but I have plenty of salt for after the plow comes.

6. znachki

znachki Active Member

Oh yeah the NWS is not at all happy about it. As a government agency, they say it's up to them to do this sort of thing. What storm is considered noteworthy? They had a big blizzard move through the midwest a couple of months ago, but it didn't get named. On an objective scale it should have been, but because it's the Midwest, it didn't get named. According to many, it's more media than public safety.

Used to be, they'd certainly get named locally, but there was never a national name. I mean if I say "The Columbus Day Storm", most everyone in the Northwest knows what I'm talking about, but the rest of you probably wouldn't.

7. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

It's the world we live in now. 24/7 news coverage, package and label it. Whatever. Snow storms are ho-hum for most of us in this area (although I still shake my head at the surge in milk and bread sales - and wine). Been there, done that is right. The real concern is wind (and icing, which isn't predicted for this storm) because lately power outages can go on for days. But large snow totals - that's part of living in the North. The days of being snowed in for days hasn't been around in many years. We've got plowing streets down to a science up here.

What's fun is when the rare snow storm happens further South in areas that shut down over an inch of snow because it's such a rare occurrence.

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

The big deal with this one (at least in Long Island) is they are telling us to expect power outages a la Sandy that could last up to 24 hours. Some people are without power already! There's a possibility of gas shortages too... a lot of people are filling up the tanks and some stations are already running out of fuel.

9. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

It's only The Weather Channel assigning "official" names to winter storms. It's a ratings ploy. Just about any legitimate "scientific" meteorologist, is refusing to follow The Weather Channel (though I know they have some decent ones there, but they've probably been swept up by ratings demands too). Winter storms are completely different from tropical cyclones.

10. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

My aunt just texted me and told me my town in MA is ground zero for the storm and we will get over 30 inches. I knew about the 30+ but ground zero?! LOL.

Danceronice, I remember that storm a few years back. We got stranded at our work until after 10 PM. Our office was up on a hill, and you go down the hill, take a left and then the highway was right there. The highway was so backed up that the hill got backed up all the way to the top. You literally could not leave the building since there was no place to go. It was nuts.

11. Skittl1321

I keep reading articles that says Europe has been naming weather systems for years, so the winter storm thing wouldn't be unusual there. I wonder if someone from Europe could comment on how that works.

12. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

The problem is that is the media. They sensationalize everything. No big news, they create it. That said, I certainly hope that you don't lose power al la Sandy. Even for 24 hours, it' cold out! Last year, after the Halloween storm it was freezing, and no power for a week! As I said above, the people I worry most for, are the ones who are still without homes from Sandy. People around here were on long lines at gas stations yesterday. Where will they be going if we get a lot of show?

13. Aimless

Aimless New Member

It occurred to me yesterday that after the gas shortages following Hurricane Sandy, every major weather event on Long Island is going to trigger panic gas lines. A word to the wise (I'm excluded from that company--ten minutes wait this morning) to fill up *before* the day before.

The grocery store sold out of split peas because people are thinking soup. Lots of paper plates going out the door too, in case we lose power. Remember to grind some coffee if you need to! I forgot about that during Sandy and had to scrounge for ground coffee at Dunkin.

I'll be happily hunkering. Hope we don't lose power. At least I have firewood and am better prepared for outages after the Sandy experience. Have battery powered lights so I can read. Let's report on our status and experience m'kay? Love to you all.

14. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yup... October 1987... I remember it well. Also the storms of March 1993, Christmas 2002, and December 26 2010 are a couple other ones that stand out for me, personally. Also the ice storm of February 2006, which almost caused the cancellation of a very popular music/dance folk festival I attend. Only year the association that organizes it ever lost money on that festival, but it still went on.

And as someone who has lived in upstate NY all my life (and comes from Scandinavian roots), I think it is plain idiotic that ANYONE in this region would spritz out over a routine winter storm. Make the preparations, take the necessary precautions, but DO NOT blow it out of proportion!! This isn't Irene or Sandy, snowstorms and blizzards are normal for this part of the country.

15. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Just did my 3 mile walk. And yes, I am that crazy :lol:. About 3", plows have not come through, very heavy and wet snow.

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I'm up in the Albany, NY area and we've only gotten a dusting so far, just enough to cover the ground. They *say* we're supposed to get the brunt of it in the later afternoon and the overnight. We'll see. I left my car at home and took the bus to work today. That's another sign of people's stupidity - forgetting all too quickly how to drive in snowy weather, and I don't have the time or patience to deal with fenderbenders when I live just off of, and work on, the bus line.

17. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I can't really say how it works in the rest of Europe, but here in Sweden we don't name snow storms. More or less severe snowfall happens every winter, and sometimes the east coast gets "snow cannons", which is yer olde lake-effect snow, but not even the one that hit Gävle with 140 cm (~4.6 feet) of snow in '98 got a name.

There is, however, another type of winter storm that hits the western parts of Europe from time to time, and that's the windstorms. They get different names in different countries, and sometimes they're only named by the country that'll be the most affected by it. Windstorms are referred to by the date of their arrival by the Swedish meteorological institute, but they're given names by the Norwegians, and those names are often picked up by Swedish media. Just about everyone in Sweden will know which storm you're talking about when you say Gudrun, for example.

18. znachki

znachki Active Member

Should've said Pacific Northwest... Columbus Day 1962 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

Still one of the most powerful storms to ever hit the US

But, this only points up what I'm talking about. I didn't know about your storm, you didn't know about mine.

19. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a little tired of hearing "Could be the worst storm ever..." :scream:

And yes, our city does shut down for one inch of snow. The kids love it... :kickass:

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Whaaa? My power went out a few months ago, and I could still wash dishes. :lol:

My workplace freaked last night and moved all our deadlines back two hours. When I left work at 12:30 am, the roads were bone dry. I'm in Buffalo - 6-12 inches is not a major storm by any stretch of the imagination.

21. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

You wouldn't be able to if you were on a well. When we lose power, we also lose water.

22. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Yes, we have friends who have the same situation. But, I think that most people on city water forget about that. Our friends have a pool and used pool water after Sandy to flush toilets. At least the chlorine kept the toilets clean :D

23. purple skates

We keep several jugs of water around for that - but except for that widespread August power outage a few years ago, we've never lost it for more than 12 hours. We weren't home when that major power outage occured, so except for losing the contents of the fridge it was no harm no foul for us.

24. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

You're very fortunate. There are a lot of people in this part of NJ on well water. When we had the snow last year and Sandy this year, some lost power for weeks.

25. purple skates

Yeah, I know. I felt for them - you can live without lights and air conditioning (well, maybe not in places like San Antonio in August :lol:), but it is really hard to live without heat and water. We have a woodstove so we can easily survive in our house without the furnace, but our house was built in a time when everyone heated with wood (1894). Modern houses just aren't made to be without a furnace. If the old outhouse in the back was still functional, we probably could live without water too but who really wants to go there? :p

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Grrr...I was sure I'd clicked Multi Quote to also have what vesperholly said about still being able to wash dishes w/out power. We're also on a well and when we lose power, it's either get out the Generator or fill up the sinks w/the water that's still left in the pipes. I am so grateful Mom and Dad got that generator when it was on sale about ten years ago. It's more than paid for itself several times over.

This one was!! The foundation went down in June of 91 and was designed for both furnace *and* a woodstove. Which makes our heating bill much lower due to us using the wood stove to heat the house. It truly is a God send to have for times like this Storm.

To those in the path/area of this thing, stay safe!!

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

28. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Germany isn't naming storms specifically but the weather systems itself. So you have the highs and lows which are named. Each system that is pushing in is getting a name. So, in summer, when you have warm and sunny weather, it's a high and it's named Anna, for example. Then a week later a low comes with rain and colder weather, that's named Benno. They go through the alphabet, I think, then switch the high and low names, so the high gets to be a male name and the low a female one.
    If there's a storm with one of the systems, I don't think it gets named separately. It just goes like: low Benno is bringing strong winds. (I've never paid that close attention to the weather reports so I'm not 100% certain but I don't recall storms being named separately :) )
    They go through a lot of names that way but apparently, it's easier to keep track of everything.

29. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

This storm naming dives me crazy, but I did find this to be hilarious:
    http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/gallery/winter-storm-nemo/

Yeah it's definitely a Weather Channel thing. From what I've heard NWS doesn't want to go down that road because winter storms are much more subjective. For tropical cyclones, in contrast there are clear guidelines on wind speed as to what is designated a tropical storm, hurricane, etc.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Wasn't that a nightmare? I was working at an afterschool and it wasn't until 7pm we were down to few enough children the manager let the rest of us go (we had a ratio we had to maintain.) Parents were calling us saying "I left work at 3pm and I've only gone a quarter mile!" On my 2+ hour drive home I listened to Howie Carr who spent the whole show taking calls from people stuck in the storm and giving out prizes for being stuck--one woman called having been trapped on the Winter Street bridge for FIVE HOURS! She said "It's like Siberia!" That was just really bad planning on the city's part--should have told everyone to stay at work until they could get plows out to clear as it came down