NOW 20/20 what would you do

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by mysticchic, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

They are doing a thing on figure skating moms

2. mysticchic

They shot this in NY and there is a coach named Rose M (who stepped in to stop the mom from hell) and a skater named Oliva ( Jeannie her real coach is part of it) who was the actress who is being yelled at by first the Mom and then the coach.

3. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The actress playing the mom was very convincing. I loved the one woman who never spoke to her but was giving her some nasty looks.

I also liked the little girl who was hugging the skater.

4. mysticchic

I really hope this doesn't go on around the world with these kids. I was a top ranked state swimmer and my parents would crew me out in the car or at home (mostly about gooffing around in practice, they couldn't do much about comps, since I won a lot). But I still got the "your times would be much better if you spent more time working in practice, and how much this cost us". But luckly I had a coach who didn't allow parents anywhere near us during practice and comps. I spent 5-6 hours in a pool 6 days a week for 16 years.

5. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Happens all the time in skating (more so with moms than coaches). I'll never forget the senior "lady" (she was a teen) whose mom was yelling at her in the dressing room and saying she was a failure. I figured she'd bombed/popped her jumps/came in last out of 16 plus skaters, turns out she won silver...mom went on to say "Silver is second and second is for losers." Seen a lot of skating moms come and go, but most coaches don't/can't get away with it in skating. But kudos to those on the show who stood up against both. I also wonder if this show is making people second-guess themselves - i.e., am I on TV?!