Notable skaters likely to retired after 2014

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Feb 24, 2013.

1. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I think Vash meant in the sense that Plushenko stuck around for another cycle primarily to compete in the Olympics being held in his home country.

2. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Really? I wouldn't think Chan would retire.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Chan has spoken publicly about wanting to do other things besides skate, so it wouldn't surprise me if he retired after Sochi, especially if he won the gold, but maybe even if he doesn't.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

True. If there is still a desire to skate might as well skate and compete because skating as Pro really doesnt' exist and shows are fewer.

5. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to think about it, I am pretty sure Patrick will retire. He's said as much. And V/M will probably too. That's why I'm trying to go to as many comps as I can before Olys! :)

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

yes, that's what I meant (home country)

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Yep, I think they are probably going to stay a couple of more seasons after Sochi, they said that in an interview too IIRC

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

For Ladies, I would say -

1. Kim - distractions and a whole world of opportunity open to her outside of skating. She's already an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    2. Kostner - age and satisfaction of being a European and World Champ
    3. Ando - age and injuries. Already has satisfaction of being a World Champ x2
    4. Czisny - age
    5. Suzuki - by virtue of the fact that she's closing in on 30 yrs. old. ETA- confirmed retirement per post above
    6. Korpi - injuries.

Unsure about Asada - She is a World champ and Olympic Silver Medalist, but she is picking it up again later in her career a la Slutskaya, so she might want to push herself further.

Men-

1. Takahashi - He was thinking of retirement back in 2010 already.
    2. Joubert - He was thinking of 2012 Worlds being his Swan Song.
    3. Verner - I think he has gone as far as he could possibly go.
    4. Abbott - Out with a whimper, not a bang.
    5. Plushenko - age
    6. Oda - per post above, confirmed retirement

I think we'll finally stop hearing tales about 'comebacks' from either Weir or Lysacek, if that counts as retirement.

Pairs

1. Pang/Tong - age and injuries. It's just finally time for even the Chinese Fed to let them go.
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy - on the fence, but they are multiple European and World Champs, as well as Olympic medalists. I think if they finish higher at Sochi than Vancouver, they will retire.

Ice Dance

1. Virtue/Moir - can't stay on top forever
    2. Davis/White - ditto

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  9. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

You could have said this about others as well, but you chose to say this about them. Why not mention their accomplishments and that they want to do other things in life outside skating instead?

10. olympic

Time was short and that's all I put. Believe me, I'm not dissing them.

I do see P/B, the Russian couples, S/S, C/L, C/B all staying on though. They are all gaining momentum.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Fabian Bourzat turned 32 and Nathalie Pechalat 29 this past December: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00004833.htm

12. olympic

In light of that info, I wonder if Fabien's injury is the start of the wear-and-tear associated with being on the ice for so many years? Still, they made a move up the rankings these past couple of years. It seems like if they can remain injury free, they would continue.

13. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

I really do hope they stay, but I have been hearing whisperings... Tessa really just isn't that into it anymore. I had heard that they intended to retire after the Vancouver Olympics, (Actually, Chan (yes, Patrick Chan, not even 20 at the time) as well but I think he had more of a motivation to keep going since he didn't medal/win in Vancouver) and I'm sure Skate Canada pushed them to stay. Though, this is not from the mainstream media, but the whisperings around the rink and such... no one knows for sure!

14. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially with what happened at 4ccs, it seems like her leg problems are back. Maybe she can't manage it, physically, anymore.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  15. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I think C/L will stay to win a medal at Worlds.B/S the same probably if they don't medal in Sochi..I/K may leave if they medal in Sochi but then again they're very very young and never stated anything on the matter.
    W/P will probably stick around for a chance to win as well.
    I expect P/B to stay for 2014 Worlds for a chance to win,but then again this is ice dancing and a lot will depend on this year's World's results.But for sure it's not going to be like Vancouver with the top two teams staying for the next Olympics.This Olympic circle we just had at least two generations of ice dancers competing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Any way you look at it a lot of skaters and teams that have been around for nearly a decade will finally hang it up.

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

S and S will probably skate until 2018 but I fail to see what in what way they are gaining momentum.

18. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't see Brian Joubert retiring after 2014 unless he'd suddenly have strong competition at home that would seriously threaten his spot in the French team for Euros and Worlds. Joubert has recently said in an interview that he wants the gold in Sochi at any cost and since he feels he is still strong enough and competitive enough as to battle for the Olympic title with skaters who are quite a few years younger than him and so long as he can stay injury-free and can qualify for major competition, why would he want to quit the eligible ranks?

19. lauravvv

Why do you assume that they will stay until 2018? Robin Szolkowy is going to be 34 this year, and Aliona Savchenko is 29. So, that would be 38 and 34 in 2018. Would be possible if they are healthy (which is unlikely), but still very, very difficult.

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

S/S will retire for sure. Robin is already the oldest skater currently competing and I don't think they can remain in competitive skating forever. They already have a bunch of World titles, so there's no point in staying after Sochi just to try for more, and they will certainly be too old for 2018.

He's more realistic about his prospects at Worlds. I do hope he can win a medal via the team competition (also because I love Team France in general), but I can't imagine him getting on the podium in the men's event.

Anyway, Joubert will not continue post-Sochi. He's said numerous times that he's going to retire after one last go at the Olympics.

21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't know why people think skaters can't stay a year or two after the Olympics and still compete if they want to or are healthy? There is nothing that says you need to retire after the Olympic year, retirements and partner switching happens all the time.

S/S may lose their fire to compete but they have never mentioned retiring after 2014, if fact the pair who did was P/T.

Sometimes skaters just like to compete.

22. lauravvv

A year, or two (which is not impossible in S/S case) is not the same as until 2018 (a whole Olympic cycle).

23. julieann

That's my point, they don't have to wait until another Olympics comes and go they can retire in 2016 if they want, anyone can.

24. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Brian seriously needs to open those beautiful eyes and realize it's not 2007 anymore. His best shot at Olympics was in Torino and he blew it. In Vancouver he still had some chances but it ended up a disaster. Now I understand how much he must want this Olympic medal (probably the only one he still doesn't have), but lets face it, the Games have defeated him big time. He even admitted it himself after Vancouver. I could bet his 4th place in Nice is the best he can do in the World at the moment and with the rise of guys like Hanyu and Fernandez, still having Takahashi and Chan around plus a bunch of other younger guys, Joubert will be lucky to finish in the top 5.

I believe his career was over the moment he didn't medal at Europeans for the first time ever last year. Plus, as much as I used to think he was exciting to watch back in his best days, right now watching him became just painful.

25. julieann

So if you don't finish in the top 5 at worlds you should hang it up? There's going to be a lot less skaters to watch considering only a handful can accomplish that feat.

26. mia joy

mia joy New Member

:rolleyes:
    I mean this particular skater in his particular situation. We're talking about a guy who's won more medals and competed internationally the longest of all of them currently out there, a guy who still believes he can medal at Olympics. And I'm not saying he should hang it up, if he's ok with finishing outside world's top 5 or 10 then cool, let him have his fun and compete, just saying his image of the current situation and his own chances is totally inadequate. I don't like to clip wings, but the truth is he's not the youngest anymore, his body is probably tired after so many years of landing quads and he will probably get worse, not better with time (he already does).

Besides, believe it or not, I am actually a fan of his, used to be obsessed about him in my teenage years and seing him struggle is sad and painful to me. I just don't want to see his Olympic dream crushed again and most likely this is what's gonna happen. Although I do wish him all the best and hey, I guess if I'd ever have any shot at competeing at Olympics, I would go for it without blinking, so I get this Olympic desire of his. I just... miss the old Brian and am aware he's not coming back.

27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

The judging seems to be moving back towards rewarding big jumps so I think Brian stands a good chance to medal if he skates well.

28. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

I'm confused--did olympic refer to Robin & Aliona [Sav/Szol] or Maia & Alex [Shib/Shib] when mentioning "S/S"? All the other teams mentioned in that particular post are ice dance teams, right?

Thanks for the clarification.

29. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Ladies are going to take a big hit after Sochi! So many veterans of the decade will likely hang up their skates. Of course there is plenty of up and coming talent, but imagine a worlds with no Kim, Koster, or Asada with many other big names gone (ie Suzuki)

30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I can see P/B competing at worlds 2014 after olympics if V/M D/W retire after olympics as they would be hot favs for gold if they get the bronze at olympics.Maybe if they get the olympic bronze they will be happy with that as they have had a long career.