Notable skaters likely to retired after 2014

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by johndockley92, Feb 24, 2013.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Just thought I'd put together who I think will likely retire after 2014

Ladies:

Kostner
    Asada
    Kim
    Suzuki
    Czisny
    Lacoste
    Viktoria Helgesson
    Korpi
    Flatt
    Ando

Men:

Abbott
    Carriere
    Takahashi
    Voronov
    Verner
    Plushenko
    Joubert
    Bacchini
    Menshov
    Kozuka

Pairs:

Savchenko/ Szolkowy
    Duhamel/ Radford
    Moore-Towers/ Moscovitch
    Denney/ Coughlin
    Vise/ Baldwin
    Kavaguti/ Smirnov
    Pang/ Tong
    Kemp/ King

Dance gets interesting, I think if D/W win, both teams retired. However, if V/M win I think D/W try to make it through the next quad to win in 2022. That being said:

D/W
    V/M
    P/B (french team)
    C/L (italians)
    Z/G (Germans)

Kinda lost when it comes to dance, sorry :p

Anyways this is completely speculative, I have no "inside information" this is just my opinion. I'm sure at least a good portion of this list will retire, and it will certainly be sad to see them go!
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Kozuka's going to retire after Sochi? Nooooooooo:(
    Now.. humans are known to change their minds. Look at Plushenko! :) So I am hopeful the list above may not materialise. :D
  3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Cappellini/Lanotte are not going to retire after Sochi AFAIK
  4. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Just a guess, but this one I think could go either way. He'll be 25 after the Olympics, so we'll see.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think Moore-Towers/Moscovitch will retire, unless they for some reason don't make the Olympic team, or they win an Olympic medal (I don't think either of those things will happen). I think they'll stay in for a couple more years after at least.
  6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

After Sochi it will definitely be a changing of the guard in most every discipline that's for sure. I think Men's will be the strongest though after 2014 . Hanyu is only 18 and will stick around then you got Yan Han and the US men like Farris and Brown and Kotvun and probably some 15, 16 year old kids we don't even know about yet who will be at about the right age for the 2018 Olympics..
  7. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I don't think C/L will retire either.They are currently Italy first team are having a good season and are still young.They can achieve a lot more yet :)I can't ever see them as world champions but they could do well at Euros like F/S..
  8. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

I hope Kozuka sticks around. I didn't realize he is going to be 25 already. He still seems so young to me. Not that 25 is old. :)
  9. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I think they might, only because of Dylan's age. Though he might not look it, he's pushing 30, and I wonder realistically how much longer he can continue at this high level. That being said, he seems to be in amazing shape, and I hope they do stay on. I absolutely adore both of them!!
  10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Volosozhar/Trankov could retire if they win. I hope not, because they haven't reached their full potential.
  11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think Oda and Suguri are retiring after next year regardless. Not sure about Asada - she might be asked to stay and carry the Japanese Team.

Kim might again go into hiding for some time after Sochi but I can't imagine the Korean Fed not forcing her to come back for 2018. She isn't that old then. She could be what Witt was in 1994.

I hope Pang & Tong are finally retiring.

I wonder about Wagner. Her coach is retiring and it is increasingly clear that she does not have the technical goods (or frankly the PCS materials) to challenge for the top. With 2 National title, a 4CC title and a silver from GPF, she has probably over-achieved already. If she couldn't medal at Worlds last year, it's not going to be easier going forward and she is probably technically maxed out. Gao is only deferring Harvard for one year and Nagasu and Zhang are not looking promising. So perhaps Wagner could hang in there and attempt to make US National podium / world teams with Gold and the bunch of junior girls for a couple more seasons but I doubt she could finally medal at Worlds (her best bet is probably post-Sochi Worlds).

In Europe, I am guessing Joubert and Verner will retire after 2014. I think Makarova and Leonova SHOULD retire, because they have had their chances and the field ahead is just too deep. I think Korpi will retire - or I am not even sure if she could come back from yet another injury. I will be most sad when Kostner retires.
  12. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I hope V/T don't retire cause they have not reached their potential. Totally forgot about Suguri and Oda, I hope Suguri finally decides to hang 'em up
  13. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

This thread is so depressing...
    shan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol:
  15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you meant Suzuki (Akiko). There's been plenty of discussion about Suguri (Fumie)'s non retirement :p
  16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I think quite a lot of the 'bronze medal contender' dance teams will try to hang on for at least one more season, if not one more quad, if the top two teams retire. Or even if only V/M immediately retire. I think, depending on whether or not D/W go to 2014 Worlds, P/B will go for at least another year to get a World gold. C/L are improving with Igor, so I can't see them retiring yet. I think they want a World medal.

Whatever the case, I am going to be clinging to the dancers and begging them not to go.
  17. bonmil

bonmil Member

I don't think Duhamel and Radford are retiring. At least that's what I understood from their interview at 4CC. They sounded pretty pumped to continue on after 2014. They think they are just getting started!
  18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well they have plenty of time to discuss that during all the K&C moments :p
    CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think Kim in 2018 could be more competitive than Witt was in 1994. Athletes are having much longer careers these days and the competition format will not change so dramatically as it did between 1988 and 1994.
  20. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Huh? Anna is 26 and Luca will be 28. They will be 31 and 35 at the 2018 Games.
  21. ltnskater

ltnskater New Member

Add Chan to this list. He will most likely be done after 2014 as well. Anyone want to wager that V/M are going to be gone before the 2014 olympics in Sochi? (Meaning they will retire after worlds in their hometown this year), especially if they win? (I would like to think and hope that it is a very unlikely possibility...)
  22. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Well, 31 and 33. That's not so old for ice dancing. I don't know that they'd do a third Olympics, but they'd probably want to be around long enough to challenge for World bronze, at least. I sort of feel like they only got their second wind and they'd like to have it for at least another season, if not two.
  23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Really? You may be the first person to suggest that possibility. I think they're in it to make a run for a second Olympic Gold.
  24. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Suzuki and Oda have both confirmed their retirement after Sochi (well, Oda hopes to make it to Worlds 2014 as well since they will take place in Saitama)

From the last I've heard, Kozuka hasn't decided yet whether to stop or continue for another olympic cycle
  25. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think Valentina Marchei and the Austrian skaters Viktor Pfeiffer and Kerstin Frank might retire after the olympic season. With the upcoming talent in the ladies I also assume Alena Leonova might compete her last season in 2014.
  26. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Would be cool if Yuna competed in 2018 olympics. The atmosphere would be amazing
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She may actually do this - a la Plushenko in Sochi (if that actually happens)
  28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

With no pro opportunities- other than skating in shows- I think a lot of the skaters will stick around as long as they feel physically capable of handling the rigors of competitive skating. However, I more or less agree with the lists in the OP. The only exception could be Yu na Kim.
  29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think the following will retire:

Pairs- Savchenko & Szolkowy, Hao Zhang, Pang & Tong, maybe all of the top U.S pairs. I think even if they win gold Volosozhar & Trankov will stay in.

Men- Chan, Takahashi, Oda, Lysacek, Plushenko, Abbott, Weir, possibly Kozuka.

Ladies- I have a feeling Kim will come back at some point even if she wins her 2nd gold in Sochi. Asada I have a feeling will hang around longer too. Kostner and Ando definitely done. Rochette done. Suzuki done. Wagner, Zawadzki, and Gao I see staying around longer, but I see Nagasu, Flatt, Czisny, and Zhang all retiring at that point if some havent already.

Dance- I see Virtue & Moir retiring. Not sure on Davis & White, but 65% chance atleast they go pro too. Pechalat & Bourzat might stay 1 more year but no way do they stay for 2018.
  30. mia joy

mia joy New Member

You mean a la Plushenko in Vancouver. If it happens, Sochi will be his 4th Olympic Games. It will be Yu-Na's 2nd.
  31. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I think Vash meant in the sense that Plushenko stuck around for another cycle primarily to compete in the Olympics being held in his home country.
  32. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Really? I wouldn't think Chan would retire.
  33. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Chan has spoken publicly about wanting to do other things besides skate, so it wouldn't surprise me if he retired after Sochi, especially if he won the gold, but maybe even if he doesn't.
  34. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

True. If there is still a desire to skate might as well skate and compete because skating as Pro really doesnt' exist and shows are fewer.
  35. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to think about it, I am pretty sure Patrick will retire. He's said as much. And V/M will probably too. That's why I'm trying to go to as many comps as I can before Olys! :)
  36. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

yes, that's what I meant (home country)
  37. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Yep, I think they are probably going to stay a couple of more seasons after Sochi, they said that in an interview too IIRC
  38. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

For Ladies, I would say -

1. Kim - distractions and a whole world of opportunity open to her outside of skating. She's already an Olympic Gold Medalist.
    2. Kostner - age and satisfaction of being a European and World Champ
    3. Ando - age and injuries. Already has satisfaction of being a World Champ x2
    4. Czisny - age
    5. Suzuki - by virtue of the fact that she's closing in on 30 yrs. old. ETA- confirmed retirement per post above
    6. Korpi - injuries.

Unsure about Asada - She is a World champ and Olympic Silver Medalist, but she is picking it up again later in her career a la Slutskaya, so she might want to push herself further.

Men-

1. Takahashi - He was thinking of retirement back in 2010 already.
    2. Joubert - He was thinking of 2012 Worlds being his Swan Song.
    3. Verner - I think he has gone as far as he could possibly go.
    4. Abbott - Out with a whimper, not a bang.
    5. Plushenko - age
    6. Oda - per post above, confirmed retirement

I think we'll finally stop hearing tales about 'comebacks' from either Weir or Lysacek, if that counts as retirement.

Pairs

1. Pang/Tong - age and injuries. It's just finally time for even the Chinese Fed to let them go.
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy - on the fence, but they are multiple European and World Champs, as well as Olympic medalists. I think if they finish higher at Sochi than Vancouver, they will retire.

Ice Dance

1. Virtue/Moir - can't stay on top forever
    2. Davis/White - ditto
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  39. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

You could have said this about others as well, but you chose to say this about them. Why not mention their accomplishments and that they want to do other things in life outside skating instead?
  40. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Time was short and that's all I put. Believe me, I'm not dissing them.

I do see P/B, the Russian couples, S/S, C/L, C/B all staying on though. They are all gaining momentum.