North East Storms

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Anyone else effected by the severe lightning storms tonight? Our house got hit. Took out a chimney, set off the fire alarms. FD here, all over house. Very thorough! Internet out. Fried the garage door openers, modem, and router. Chimney is split, cap flew off, bricks all over the yard, bricks and mortar chunks down the chimney, flew out of the fireplace. Very scary!

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Whoa! Are you sleeping elsewhere tonight? I can't imagine how scary that must have been. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. (I guess tonight might not be a bad time for a good stiff drink.)

(What flew out of the fireplace????)

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The storm split just as it approached my town, with the worst of it going north and south past us. We did get major winds and rain, but we could see the lightening go past north of us out the bedroom window, and we didn't get hit by the same intensity of storm that surrounded us.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Jeez cruisin, that must have scared the crap out of you! Hope your nerves are ok.

I hit the storm while driving up the Turnpike and I white knuckled it the whole way. Crazy lightning all over the place.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:eek: cruisin. I guess everyone is okay?

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Holy crap, cruisin, that sounds awful :yikes: I agree, definitely a night for a good drink.

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I got home just before the storm struck. I had time to bring in the plants, but that was about it.

My dad's house in Florida gets hit by lightening not infrequently. He lives in "lightening alley". They have lightening rods on their house, and do things like unplug everything they own before they leave the house. Still, they've been through more than one microwave and two TVs due to lightening strikes, but luckily, nothing that impacted the structure of their house.

Cruisin, the chimney will fix; I'm just glad to hear you're okay!

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Scary, scary, cruisin. :yikes: I'm glad the damage wasn't worse.

9. mkats

mkats New Member

(((((((cruisin)))))))

I happened to be down in the basement and heard the wind roaring outside, so I ran out and brought in all the plants. Just wind here, fortunately.

Good thing I'm living in Northern Virginia at the moment... I wouldn't be surprised if my old house in MD is powerless again.

10. cruisin

Thanks everyone, please forgive the typos, I'm using my cell phone. We are so very lucky that there was no fire! All things considered, it could have been so much worse. I was at y computer, actually on FSU. All of a sudden a huge crash, crackling, and the fire alarms went off. They are beyond loud, ear splitting! We had 3 fire trucks (w/10 firemen) and the police here, within 5 minutes! Pretty amazing for a volunteer fire department! The firemen came through the entire house because they were worried that the alarm went off and that might have been from the electrical box being hit. But their heat and gas sensors cleared us. The chimney looks :eek: and is a hazard! We went outside to try and see if the house was hit and looked up and were :eek:! Then we checked the room with the fireplace and chunks of brick and mortar had flown out - took out my husband's chess set and is all over the room. Thank goodness no one was in there. Can't use the phones because the alarm is still activated, we shut off the power, but the phones are still dialing out. Airport is fried! TVs are okay and appliances seem okay. Hopefully the roof/flashing is intact. Chimney is in bad shape. But, I've had a stiff drink and am feeling better :lol: Dog was completely unfazed, except for wanting attention from the firemen.

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

(((cruisin)))
    That sounds awful. I'm glad no one was hurt!

12. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I'm glad there were no injuries, but it sure sounds scary!

13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

My cousin in Orange county (NY) lost her second gazebo in as many years but fortunately, no other damage. Chairs knocked into the pool, plants and pots tipped over.

14. cruisin

A lot of power outages around NJ, NY. We lost power for a few minutes, a few times, but not any significant amount of time. Able to connect to the internet, now, but have to plug ethernet cable directly into the computer. The Airport is fried. It's still under warranty, but homeowners will cover all appliances. They told us to check everything in the house, run washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, all TVs and computers. We have a $500 deductible, but that's not too bad. Seeing the chimney, in the broad daylight - whew! it looks like a giant axe came down and tried to split it in half. i think the flashing is damaged, so we need to have it looked at, before it rains. Also, we need someone to look down the chimney to see if the cold chimney section of it is blocked. That is where the gas water heater and furnace vent. If there are bricks blocking it, we could have a carbon monoxide problem. We have monitors set up, okay, so far. Also worried that the chimney could collapse.

The strangest part about this was it was just misty outside. We heard some thunder, really far away. Then BOOM! Usually, you can hear/see the lightning get closer, but this was just out of the blue - literally. We have had some crazy weather this year.

15. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I know some of you really got wholloped, but our weather guessers totally blew this one. After a night of hysterical weather warnings including a tornado watch , a dangerous wind warning, and "the sky will fall" predictions from all 3 of our main TV stations, we did get a few drops of rain around midnight, but not a single thunderstorm. I wish they could just tell us what might happen without getting so worked up about it.

16. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

^^^^This^^^^ ...that sounds like one nasty storm cruisin...yikes!

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

That storm was freaking insane. I thought my car was going to get blown into the Meadowlands swamp and get buried under a garbage dump never to be seen or heard from again. Not a bad way for me to go, all things considered, but still.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The wind went by here fast - I was worried, but it was over quickly.

cruisin - so sorry about your house. Glad to hear you weren't hurt.

19. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Please send the rain that came with it to us. Please.

20. cruisin

You might have found Jimmy Hoffa!

Driving in that must have been awful, glad you're safe.

We had no wind, no real rain (isn't that part of a Supreme's song), no warning (except for the news alerts). The lightning just came out of nowhere. this was a really disjointed storm. Some places got rain with winds blowing it horizontally. Some just got the lightning, like we did. Some got all of it. A house, in Denville (near here) got hit and burned - just proving how fortunate we were.

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Glad that your house escaped major damage and that you are OK. Still must have been quite scary.

Here too, please. We're still waiting for rain -- nothing from the previous forecast (yesterday) and nothing in sight until possibly Monday or Tuesday (I'm not counting on it, since only one of the past 5 forecasts of 40-50% rain had anything, and that was barely a half inch). :(

22. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

ITA. I was looking at the Weatherbug and Accuweather updates on my phone all day, and decided not to do my bike ride after work (and damn it, I could have gone out!). We got some rain, but nothing compared to what cruisin's describing.

I avoid the TV weatherpeople like the plague during the Winter; it's the fecking North East, the only people who have any right to be getting freaked out by a snow storm are the ones who aren't natives of an area where blizzards are common. For the rest of us it should be business as usual.

23. cruisin

We've had a lot of rain, recently. But, the lawns and shrubs are so burned from the intense heat, that I don't think any amount of rain will help, now.

24. cruisin

I hear you. Whenever my BF from Kentucky tells me about an inch of snow shutting down the entire area I am :eek:! They just don't have the equipment to deal with it.

I must say, however, that even though we are used to blizzards, and we have the equipment. The Halloween blizzard (last year) was horrible. We just can't handle that amount of snow with full leaves still on the trees. that's not about being prepared, there was nothing anyone could do for that one.

Has anyone else had their towns pre-salting the roads (for snow) in the last year or so? Our town, now, comes through with a brine solution, before the snow. To prevent the road from icing, under the snow. It does help, but it stinks!

25. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Your taxes at work. ;)

26. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Wow. Sorry about your chimney, cruisin, but glad everyone is OK.

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Here too: I'm three minutes (by car) from wheat fields (already harvested) and corn (looks terrible) ---depressing.

28. cruisin

Thanks, again, everyone. Strange thing happened. My Mom loved angels, she had all sorts of angel figurines, jewelry, etc. When she passed, my sister-in-law and I picked (each) one of the less :eek: angles to keep. The rest we gave to her friends, as mementos. Well, I have this 18" tall Lennox porcelain angel sitting on the hearth, literally, right in front of the fireplace. There is broken brick and mortar all around it. My husbands old, jade, chess set is next to it and everything is knocked over. The angel was not touched! Not a chip!

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Did you get any of the ice storm of October 1987? That was on Sunday, October 4 :eek: - we had power outages and school cancelled on October 5, 6, and 7 due to all of the ice on the roads and downed power lines, etc. (this is why you keep old diaries/journals - for reference points!). Definitely out of the ordinary.

We got barely anything from the October 29 blizzard, but I was supposed to be going to Lenox, MA for a free "welcome new dancers" contra dance. I decided not to go, because they were supposed to get upwards of 15" or more of snow and I was NOT going to drive over the Berkshires in all that. Route 20 is very winding and twisty going over the mountains. I found out that same night that the dance was cancelled, so my instincts were right on about that.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow, cruisin -- now that's a story! What a nice memory to have of your mom now. (Did you ever manage to sleep last night? )