Nora Hoffmann hospitalized

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh dear--hope they can diagnose and cure ASAP.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

In an young woman like that with a case of acute abdominal pain, pancreatitis is not the first thing that comes to mind.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I hope it is something simple to resolve and not appendicitis or something else that requires surgery. Poor Nora.

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

This is awful. I hope it's nothing serious. :(

6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Poor poor Nora! She already has had has enough injuries and deseases! All the best wishes for a quick recovery!

7. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

OMG, I hope it's nothing serious...

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No kidding. Ectopic pregnancy and appendicitis were my first guesses, and I'm not even a doctor (nor do I play one on TV). But perhaps she has a history of pancreas problems?

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It could also be due to excessive dieting/dehydration, in the run-up to a major competition like Worlds. Some people overdo the dieting during peak training times.

I hope that Nora will be fine and ready for Worlds. She and Max have been improving by leaps and bounds.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Excellent guesses! When I think of pancreatitis, I think of chronic alcoholism and not of Nora Hoffman.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It could be her gall bladder. Didn't Totmianina have a gall bladder flareup at one point during her competitive days?

12. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Slightly OT but my dad had pancreatitis a couple of years ago that developed out of nowhere. He's not a drinker or a smoker and spent most of his life as an athlete. It does happen.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Isn't there a pancreatitis - gall bladder disease connection? Think so.

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She could just have an infection of some sort that would lead to soreness in one or more of her organs. Whatever it is I hope she recovers, she is the only reason my husband sits with me to watch ice danging.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am talking about the usual suspects and pancreatitis is not one of them in a young woman with acute abdominal pain.

16. iris81

iris81 Member

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

From the sound of the article they have no clue as to what's going on with her.

18. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

I've had something similar, I had an infection and the buildup of scar tissues on bowel, a year ago and since then, it's become a chronic condition. It could be colitis or crohn's disease, in which case her training may be quite a bit hampered. I really hope that is not the case with her.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

My partner had pancreatitis a few years back and it nearly killed him. Not only was it extremely painful, I was told, but put him out of commission for several weeks due to the weight loss. He doesn't drink so that couldn't have been the cause. To this day, he still doesn't know what caused it, but now he has type 2 diabetes. Of couse a young person like Nora would probably not have that result and would probably rebound quickly. I hope so.

20. Sandy

Sandy New Member

re-posted

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Nora needs to just toughen up! [Here at FSU,] Slutie was pregnant for a full four years, give-or-take, and she barely missed a beat.

But, seriously, I hope this is just a one-time, very short-time (read: completely okay by May) incident for Nora.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  22. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Gallstones can cause pancreatitis.

Hope she gets better (and is able to compete at Worlds) but yikes that they had to go in and take a look.

23. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

My goodness! So many different diagnosis! I hope it is not serious. :(

Nora has the worst luck when it comes to competitions! And I'm not even counting his partner. :shuffle:

24. It depends on one's health history and symptoms. While pancreatitis is mostly caused by alcoholism (statistically), it's just one of those things that can happen to anyone. I had it in my 20s, and I don't drink nor smoke at all.

25. Sandy

Sandy New Member

iris81 - thank you for the info!

I just checked the definition of this - here is what it says

Pyelonephritis is an ascending urinary tract infection that has reached the pyelum (pelvis) of the kidney, usually treated with antibiotics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Anything can happen to anyone. But as I've said, pancreatitis is unlikely and anyway, it seems to be off the table as a possible diagnosis.

Just because something statistically unlikely happened to you or to someone you know, it doesn't mean necessarily it's happening to Nora. Any of the differential diagnoses is a possibility but when the picture is not clear and you have a choice as to which one to pursue first, you need to rely on the odds.

skatepixie and (deleted member) like this.
  27. I am not sure you are insisting on being right in this case... But as I said, the symptoms is what drives the diagnosis, not the "odds"

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It's actually both. It's something medical students learn the hard way.

29. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

In pyelonephritis you'd usually have a positive urine (for UTI) with flank pain, fever vomiting etc. Pancreatitis is generally abd pain radiating to the back, in children and presumably younger adults trauma is the #1 cause rather than alcoholism.

I don't get why they did a lap unless they really thought appendicitis? But CT scans are generally sensitive if the ultrasound doesn't show the appendix...

Then there's pelvic inflammatory disease (you get cervical motion tenderness on pelvic exam) and ovarian torsion, but that can be ruled out by pelvic ultrasound...

A pregnancy test would be the very first thing done and presumably was negative.

Hope Nora recovers soon. :(

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't get that either. The article did mention that her labs were "bad" whatever that means. What labs and how are they bad?
    PID and ectopic pregnancy are the first things that come to mind. Do they even have ultrasound available at every ER? For instance about 10 years ago I was told that there was only one or two ultrasound machines available in the whole city of Kiev. Hope things have changed since then.
    I was taught that all women of childbearing age are ectopically pregnant until proven otherwise.