Nobunari Oda talks about married life

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MINAM, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100805-00000010-oric-ent

Nobunari Oda appeared on a TV show "Ame agari Club" and talked about life being married. The MC of this program is Ame agari kesshitai. Oda is a huge fan of them.

Pics from the program
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/photo/78809/p00201008050966657001280982876L/
    (One shot shows them eating an egg dish cooked by Oda's wife)

- His wife scolds him a lot of his sloppy life style and "we often get into arguments about that." such as:

1) The way he folds the laundry
    2) How he does the dishes
    3) He forgets to turn off the water
    Ame agari kesshitai read a letter from Oda's wife and pointed out that Oda thinks "he can work through anything somehow".

- He'll be a father in October. "I want to be by her side when she gives birth." (It's possible because he will be in Japan around that time).

- His wife makes him lunch everyday.

- When asked if he's making money, Oda replied "My income is less than the expense." He's still red even if he wins a GP event.
    "If my child wants to play a sport, I'd recommed one that will bring in more money".

Edited to add:
    The program will be aired on August 7th, 18:30 (Kansai area only).

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this!

:)

I hope everything turns out great and that they'll be very happy together with their baby, with happiness and health!

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wow, October already? He looks really happy.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Hey Mrs. Oda; he DOES the dishes, and folds laundry!! Complaints can be kept at a minimum! ;)

5. KayMil01

KayMil01 New Member

I can't believe he is married with a baby on the way! he looks so young...how old is he again? 23?

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Yes, he's 23 years old.

:)

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Uh...isn't that the woman's job? :p

8. FrouFrou

FrouFrou New Member

:lol:

9. natsukie325

natsukie325 New Member

What century do you live in?;)

10. cheriepopo

cheriepopo Active Member

maybe because his wife is pregnant so he has to do these jobs instead of her? LOL

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is the norm. in Japanese culture? I wish it was the norm. in American culture! ;)

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Unless life in Japan has changed tremendously, America is still way ahead in terms of men doing domestic stuff.

Probably he folds the laundry and does the dishes only occasionally - otherwise I'm sure he would have learned to do these chores properly in accord with his wife's specifications.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  13. inskate

inskate Active Member

:lynch: ;)

I dunno, I always found charming about Nobunari that he always seemed to value family life very high and didn't seem to be afraid of sharing the responsibilities in a marriage. When he went to America to work with Morozov, he had to live alone, and later he said in an interview that he thinks he would made a good househusband, because he learned to cook well and take care of the house. ;)
    Kinda refreshing when all the men in my house react to being asked to clean up after themselves as if I asked them to run through the city nekkid... :slinkaway

14. mmot

mmot Active Member

I think men's perception towards domestic chores have changed quite a bit in Japan in the recent years - especially amongst younger ones. At least younger men don't automatically assume that's women's job, and feels fair enough to do their share. Moreover, more men live on their own when younger and thus have no choice but to learn to do domestic chores. (I haven't lived in Japan for many years, but I can see the difference in my cousins, friends and friends' partners - and am delighted!)

The assumption you made about Oda is a touch unfair, I think. He's been married only for 3 months or so (and he was away in Canada for training and choreography for quire a while since), and before then he always lived with his parents. He's perhaps just learning to help out domestically. All I can say is - way to go, Nobu! Keep up with your hard work both on and off the ice! ;)

15. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Aww :)
    Boo :(

16. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I was hoping to see a pic of him & his wife. He looks so incredibly young! Much happiness to the both.

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but how long does it take a 23 year old to learn to fold clothes and wash dishes?

Mr. Japanfan would probably say I haven't learned to do dishes in 17 years, but that's just because he likes to get on a high horse because the dishes are one of his chores (and often the only one with regard to housework). And he acts like he deserves a cheering section just because he does the dishes.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I doubt Oda doesn't know how to fold clothes or do dishes. He lived alone in the US, looked presentable in candid photos off the ice, and didn't die of food poisoning. He probably has different standards and/or techniques than his wife.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Boy, have I been outta the loop. I didn't even know that he got married...

20. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Everybody has their own way of doing things. I took the article to mean that Oda was saying she scolded him because he wasn't doing it the way she liked it done.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe his skating fans can give him one of those clothing folding gadget that you see in the infomercial.

22. cammelia

cammelia New Member

Does anyone know if Nobunari,s wife is japanese, and is there any pictures of them?

23. maclou

maclou Member

She is Japanese, she went to school with him.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I can't properly fold a shirt to save my life. Towels, I am fine with it. I just hang things.

25. Sugar64

Sugar64 Member

Awwww.
    Are there any photos of Nobu's wife? They must make a cute couple.

We're Japanese and my hubby does a TON of housework. We take turns doing the laundry, washing the dishes, etc.... He does a great job taking care of our 3-yr old son too. My brother-in-law is the same. I think Japanese men have changed a lot since our parents' generation. Or I got really lucky. :)

26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Or you put your foot down and cracked the whip ;) After all, "You've come a long way, Baby".

27. inskate

inskate Active Member

I don't think there any photos of Nobu's wife (where her face can be clearly visible) publically available because Nobu wanted her to be able to keep her privacy. There was a TV show (Kinsuma Harabanjo) with Nobu back in April 2006 where the anchor (Azumi) tried to get Nobu to tell who his girlfriend was and eventually cajoled Nobunari into showing him her photo on the cellphone. Then Azumi pretended to show the photo to the cameras and Nobu freaked out. :)
    Azumi said that Nobu's then-girlfriend looked very cute and like the actress in the screencap:
    http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8627/20060428kinsumaharanban.jpg

However, on Nobu's official fanpage there are a couple of photos with him and his wife:
    http://nobunari.com/diary/diary10-07.html
    http://www4.rocketbbs.com/14/bbs.cgi?id=fanfan
    (You need to scroll a bit down to see the photos).
    The photos are taken either from far away or from the back, so the lady's face can't be seen, but her kimono is gorgeous. :) I especially like the photo where Nobunari is smiling at his wife, very adorable. :)

(BTW the Kinsuma Harabanjo show was hilarious - Azumi followed Nobu to a jewellry show where Nobu wanted to pick out a pair of rings for him and his girlfriend for their anniversary. Eventually Azumi said: "When we stand here like this, it looks like we were buying rings for each other..." :rofl:)

28. maclou

maclou Member

I remember someone said that his girlfriend was really cute and they fit each other really well :) I think I've seen a picture of them together but I'm not 100% that it's her and I think it's a somewhat private picture so I don't want to post it, I thought they looked cute together though (if that even was her :p)

29. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Congratulations Oda! Still can't believe he's married and will become a father in 2 months. He looks just like a 12 yo boy!

30. key65man

key65man New Member

Sounds like, Nobu is one happy dude at the moment. Good for him.