Nobunari Oda is a dad again!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skateboy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Thanks to Rayhaneh, who has told us about this in the Japanese Skater news thread:

Nobunari Oda has become a dad for the second time

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/spo...OHO1T00037.htm

It's another boy who was born on January 5th. They named him Shinnosuke ^_^

Congrats to the family on the new addition!
  2. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Oda and his wife on the birth of their son!
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Nobunari and his family! :cheer2:
  4. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Congratulations! A second son for Nobunari, I think?
  5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes - I think his oldest was born in 2010 and is named Shintaro. There is the occasional cute pic on Oda's Twitter.
  6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

But, but, but ... he's too yooooooung to be a daddy ;) ;)

Congrats to him and the mommy too!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Beautiful news!!! :)
  8. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Will he retire and get a proper job to support them?
  9. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Skating is not a proper job???!!? I have a friend who is an acupuncturist and people keep asking her when she's going to get a 'real' job. Says a lot about people and how they view the world... *sigh*

To me a proper job is something ethical and honest where you are paid for the value you create. I think there's a lot of money to be made in skating (shows, etc) especially in Japan
  10. Zemgirl

Since Oda didn't seem to need to retire and seek a new career when Shintaro was born or when his wife became pregnant again, I'm going to guess they can manage financially with him skating. Not that it's any of our business.
  11. aidan

aidan New Member

I think when the initial post talked about getting a "proper job", it might have been in reference to getting a more financially lucrative job. Not everyone on FSU's first language in english.

On that topic, does the JSF have an exceptionally generous funding program for their national team for Oda to be able to support two children?

I can't imagine he has a lot of $$ coming in from endorsements, especially with no World/Olympic medals, and living in the shadow of his more accomplished Japanese teammates. Perhaps he or his wife come from a wealthy family.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  12. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

WTF???
  13. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

LOL! Because I remember how Oda has complained how hard it is to be away from his son and how financially difficult it is for his family. I just wondered that now that he has two sons, it will be twice as difficult and expensive.
  14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Awww...Wonderful news!! Congratulations to the Family and Welcome to the World Little One!! :)
  15. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

The Japanese skaters are like celebrities in their country with numerous shows and televised events spreading their fame and popularity. This isn't the US we're talking about here.
  16. lulu

lulu New Member

Congrats! :cheer:
  17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:encore::cheer2::40beers::cheer:CONGRATULATIONS TO NOBUNARI & HIS WIFE ON ADDING ANOTHER SON TO THEIR LOVELY FAMILY!:cheer::40beers::cheer2::encore:

IIRC Oda is supposed to be related to some great warlord? I'm sure it's him! :cool:
  18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Nobu & his family! :encore:
  19. aidan

aidan New Member

I understand that skaters like Asada, Takahashi, Hanyu, Ando, Suzuki are big celebrites in Japan. They are all World medalists and are the current stars in Japan.

I'm surprised that Oda is so popular in Japan and that he's getting multiple endorsements/shows, since he isn't even among the top 3 Japanese men. I recall reading a thread about Fumie Suguri, a multiple World medalist and National Champion, who was struggling to find sponsors/endorsements/funding. I realize that Suguri is well past her prime (many people would argue Oda is as well), but her past accomplishments would certainly justify more "celebrity" status then Oda.

And I'm not sure how the Japanese public regards Oda's issues with drunk driving, but you'd think that would be a strike against him.

I had forgotten about that. Perhaps family wealth is a factor in being able to continue skating with two children.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Congratulations to Nobu and his wife!:cheer2::cheer:
  21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

By the time michael weiss ended his career in 2006 he had two kids. So I think if skating is more popular in japan and even if oda doesn't have a world medal like weiss did I think oda is in a more lucrative environment so it can be juggled and it's not like odas wife would be incapable of working if she has to. Or if Oda has to.
  22. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

By the time michael weiss ended his career in 2006 he had two kids. So I think if skating is more popular in japan and even if oda doesn't have a world medal like weiss did I think oda is in a more lucrative environment so it can be juggled and it's not like odas wife would be incapable of working if she has to.
  23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^ It depends on what type of support Oda and his wife have around them. Weiss parents and sisters all lived around the same area as he and his wife, so I'm sure he and his wife had a lot of support to help them with the kids whild Weiss was concentrating on training for 2006.

Skating may be more popular in Japan, but I think it's still only a few very top skaters that are raking in the endorsements and appearances' fees. I don't know how Oda's star stacks against the other top male skaters.
  24. Zemgirl

Considering the number of descendants of Nobunaga Oda, I doubt any family wealth is a direct result of that connection.

There are also a fair number of skaters who became parents during their competitive careers - Alexander Abt, Olivier Schoenfelder, Isabelle Delobel, Dmitri Soloviev, Tatiana Navka and Mark Ladwig are a few examples. While two children do require more resources, I'm sure Nobunari and his wife made sure that they had the resources and support they need.

Now that I think of it, Oda is the first of two skaters who became fathers of two this past week - followed a day later by Evgeni Plushenko :)
  25. skate65

skate65 New Member

Congratulations to Nobu. He was juggling a lot at japanese nationals then with his wife due to deliver shortly. I'm sure they have thought about all these things. Very happy for him :)
  26. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I cant understand why your question made people have nervous breakdowns. One poster is on a damn skating sight POSTING about public figures and had the NERVE to type " not that it's any of our business." Ironic right? Anyway, I get the gist of what you mean. I suppose that i just thought that he was making decent money because his federation pays. Could be wrong. Anyway, It's most common that skaters have babies after their careers. By proper i think you meant a common job perhaps? 9-5 ish if you will.
  27. inskate

inskate Active Member

Congratulations to the happy family! :)

As for the "proper" job issue... Nobunari talked quite a lot about his possible career choices. Actually, he planned to retire as a skater after Olympics 2010:
    And from Bravo, a TV show aired on 19th September 2006:
    (Rough translation by me, sorry if there are any mistakes! It was difficult to make out half the words because someone next to the microphone (either Daisuke or the camera operator) had giggle fits :eek: ).

More recently, I saw Nobunari helping to coach kids at the Kansai Uni rink during his off-season (although I have no information on wheter he continues to work as a volunteer or moved on to being employed). He also appeared on a Dream Kids with Yamamoto Sota, a novice skater, helping him to improve his 3L (and having fun at a fun park). :lol: Judging from the interviews, I think he might be warming up to the idea of becoming a coach again, now that there is more interest in figure skating, the Kansai Uni rink is doing well and there a lot of promising young skaters there. :)
  28. aidan

aidan New Member

Does anyone know the details of the funding the JSF offers to members of the national team, and what constitutes the national team? In the US and Canada, I believe it's public information, so I'm curious how that compares to Japan.
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

30. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

I keep reading this as Nobunari Oda is a dead again!, Congrats to Nobunari and his family.
  31. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

So happy for Oda and his wife!!!! Congrats to them. :cheer::cheer:
  32. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Congrats to Oda and to his wife!!!
  33. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

It's hard to say who IS the number #3 man in Japan right now. Hanyu and Dai are clearly #1 and 2 (at least for now). If Japanese Nats is the judging criteria, then Mura is #3, Oda #4 and Kozuka #5. But Mura got third by placing 4th in both SP and LP--Oda got 3rd in the LP and Kozuka got 3rd in the SP.

Anyway... yes, Oda is still a big star in Japan. While he doesn't have a world medal (but he's beaten just about everyone who does at some point), he's a 4CC champion, 2-time GPF silver medalist, GPF bronze medalist, Junior World champion, former Japanese national champion. In seven seasons, he's medaled in every GP event he's entered except two.

I wouldn't put him out to pasture just yet.
  34. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Congrats to the lovely little family! :40beers:
  35. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

36. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Mayu, Nobunari Oda's wife, has updated the header image of her Twitter account - three guesses who features there ;) (warning, I am barfing all of my rainbows right now - you could have similar reactions :lol:):

https://twitter.com/sh1ntaro01mama
  37. Zemgirl

I'm not sure what's cuter, the header picture or the profile one.