Nobel & Ig-Nobel Prizes 2011

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Oct 3, 2011.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The Nobel Prize for medicine was announced today, and given to US, French, and Canadian scientists for their work related to the immune system:

http://news.yahoo.com/three-share-medicine-nobel-prize-immune-system-095456080.html

Sadly, the Canadian scientist, Dr. Steinman, died three days ago:
    http://news.yahoo.com/university-says-nobel-prize-winner-died-130309232.html

To quote that article:
    As I understand it, the modern rules require that Nobel laureates be alive at the time of the announcement.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. GarrAarghHrumph

On a happier note, the Ig-Nobels, a more comedic take on the Nobel Prize process, were given out last week. Ig-Nobels are given out scientific work that "makes people laugh, then makes them think." They are designed to help spur people's interest in science, and the science is real, even if it seems odd on the surface.

You can find a complete list of Ig-Nobel winners for this year here:
    http://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/

But some of my favorites:

Often, the science winners of the Ig-Nobels do attend the ceremony, proving that scientists do, in fact, have a sense of humor.

3. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

How tragic for Dr. Steinman. :(

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  5. GarrAarghHrumph

6. mon125

mon125 New Member

Dr Steinman was not only great scientist but also a very nice and humble man. RIP.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh what a pickle... I am tempted to say yes give the award to him but that could open up a whole can of worms.

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Nobel prize include money, perhaps his estate can cash the check?

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I strongly endorse the Ig-Noble prize for Peace and suggest it be adopted everywhere, and expanded to include "Smart"Cars and motobikes who take up entire on-street parking spaces.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. GarrAarghHrumph

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

13. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

14. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Hmmpf....no love for the Chemistry Nobel winner? Israeli researcher Dan Shechtman won for his discovery of quasicrystals. These are formed by certain metal alloys and unlike normal crystals, they don't have traditional 3-D repeating unit cells. Instead they have unusual symmetry elements like 5-fold or 10-fold rotational axes, and in order to understand the structure you basically have to analyze it in 4 or 6 dimensions.

When he discovered the first example of a quasicrystal, his boss told him his crystalline sample was crappy and to just ignore the data. And established crystallographers (including Linus Pauling) told him he was crazy.

15. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Prof. Daniel Shechtman is the 10th Israeli to win a nobel prize. :respec:
    His discovery (here is a short video about it) and the struggle for recognition is quite remarkable.
    His idea of quasicrystals was ridiculed by most of the scientific world lead by Linus Pauling. He was even banned from a research group.
    But he never gave up, and continued to defend his discovery.
    Prof. Shechtman's battle eventually forced other scientists to reconsider their conception of the very nature of matter. It took few years once scientists began confirming that Shechtman's discovery of quasicrystals is indeed true.