No surprise if Lysacek skips nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

It says I have to become a something plus member to read the article? Ugh.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Hersh says the real goal is Sochi and he doesn't need to rush back from his groin injury which requires a lot of rest so it's just shutting the door on this season maybe he's not even sure he is speculating.

He also talks about Wagner going to Sochi gpf being a mixed bag because of it's location.

4. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Hope Evan's well.

Phil also mentioned Yuna Kim’s appearance at the Senior B in Germany will overshadow the Grand Prix Final the same weekend.

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Jenny Kirk isn't still doing weekly reports.

At times Phil Hersh writes about skating with such contempt, you'd think he was doing it at gun point. (Having met a few seasoned journalists at skating events, he wouldn't be the only one, unfortunately)

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The link worked for me.

From the article:

``Lysacek withdrew from Skate America in October and decided not to go to Croatia for a Dec. 13-16 competition that would have allowed him to get his blades wet before nationals. So why did he skate in a made-for-TV cancer charity show in North Carolina last week?

Lysacek’s agent, Shep Goldberg, told me that even if the skater was feeling ready to compete, the lengthy trip to Croatia could have affected the injury. Goldberg said Lysacek was committed to the Carolina event on a personal level, since his father, Don, is a cancer survivor. And Lysacek did not push himself in the exhibition, doing only two jumps.``

You`d think Phil would have learned by now that there might be really good reasons why skaters cancel out of events, and would quit snarking at them because of it. It`s like they are only allowed to withdraw from something if he approves it in advance :rolleyes:

7. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that Lysacek was coming to Golden Spin of Zagreb.
    I guess the source actually knew something, but it is over now.

Get well Even!

8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be a surprise, either. Between his health issues and the rapidly increasing standard in men's skating, there's no point in pushing himself if it's not to compete at the highest level internationally.

That said, skaters who don't just announce a comeback and are actually able to follow through deserve a great deal of credit (e.g. Plushenko, Johnny Weir, Shen & Zhao, presumably Yu-Na). It's not at all easy.

As Hersh articles go, this was quite mild.

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It would be hard to do axels with a groin injury. Any move that involves swinging your leg up and forward - even scratch spins would be painful and just make it worse. That is the first muscle to hurt when I come back to skating after taking time off.

10. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Evan would put himself in a unnecessary situation if he skips Nationals. I believe that it would give credit to OOT ego claims if he really believes that it would be in his best interest to not compete until next season. Hell; I think skipping the season in general is a poor decision. I dont know if i believe that he's really hurt. Plus if he is it just looks bad considering that earlier he wouldnt compete because of $$$ reasons. If he's well, he should get his butt out there for his own sake

11. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Not that I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't understand any part of this post. He should skate at Nationals even though he's injured because you have a hunch from your earlier magic 8 ball session that he's not actually injured? Because you're worried about fan backlash from claims of overego? Backlash which is, of course, much more worrisome than some groin injury?!? Why not just let him call the shots as he needs to and trust that he knows best what is good for him. I don't understand the need for a conspiracy theory.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Usually an athlete can gradually return to his sport within one to two weeks after a groin injury. Didn't this injury occur even before Skate America?

Link required signing up for something in order to read. Signed up for too many things already. lol

13. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I'd kinda like to meet the person who would have been surprised if he didn't show up for nationals before this article. No, actually, skip that, I wouldn't...

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Gradually return to training, or start competing again within 2 weeks?

Depends on the specific injury as well as the sport.

Tell it to Alexei Urmanov, who withdrew from Worlds in March 1997 with a groin injury and was unable to compete again until July 1998.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Hope Evan will rest well and recover fully. He may still have a chance to skate in Sochi 2014 if physically fit soon. :eek: Gee... looks like it's common for 'returning athletes' to get injured. Will see how the other returning athletes fare?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  16. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

17. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Evan has undergone heria operation and will be off ice for six weeks. With Nationals from Jan 20 - 27th, this would only allow him 3 weeks at most to train his programs to compete.

I see him withdrawing and no return this season.

Lysacek undergoes successful surgery to repair sports hernia - Source, U.S. Figure Skating

18. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

19. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

I feel this is an ongoing trend.... skaters trying to come back after not competing, become injured with career-threatening injuries. Are skaters coming back because there is a lack of a pro circuit as in the days after 1994?? If so, maybe there needs to be some intervention on life after skating and how to be successful in other areas of life?

20. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Michelle Kwan could offer seminars.

21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'll honestly be surprised if Evan ever does come back to eligible competition. It would be nice if he did, but yeah, I'll be surprised.

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Of course it wouldnt be, just like it would be no shock, actually no surprise whatsoever, if he never competes again. This isnt news to anyone.

23. judgejudy27

if you are a fan of Evan I am not sure why you think it would be nice. I am not an Evan fan, but if I were, I wouldnt want to see a guy who was World and Olympic Champion when he last competed come back and have no chance at any better than say 6th at Worlds, and that is if everything went right.

24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Boy, aren't you a ray of sunshine. Maybe Evan enjoys competing and pushing himself to the limit. Lots and lots of athletes compete (in fact the vast majority compete) without any hope of actually winning. There is only one winner. Good thing those who aren't sure they'll win keep competing or we wouldn't have competitions to watch.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

...and Urmanov was never the same skater after that groin injury. He did not even make the Russian Olympic team, which would have given him a chance to defend his OGM

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, the reason he didn't make the 1998 Olympic team was that he was still too injured to try.

But in the 1999 season he couldn't beat Yagudin at all and lost to 16-yr-old Plushenko more often than not.

27. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

That is why I said he was never the same skater again. He never regained his jumps. He was still young enough to develop them, but the injury made it impossible.

29. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'm sorry there is no longer a professional competitive circuit where skaters like Lysacek, Weir, Kwan and others could flourish.

Instead, skaters who have been away from competition for several years return to the grind of training against a new generation with bigger tricks. The risk of injury (as demonstrated with Evan and Johnny) is a blow to the body as well as the ego.

30. judgejudy27

I agree. It is an injustice to these skaters there is no longer a professional circuit. Well in Kwan's case I am not sure she would have been interested anyway, she seemed to love competing and wanting a wholew new life after that, but people like Evan and Johnny and many others seems to be wondering around not sure what to do when their amateur primes are over.