No Oprah finale thread?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, May 26, 2011.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

So Oprah's show is finally over, right?

Not that I care... I really, really, REALLY can't stand the woman.

Just surprised I haven't seen a discussion.

2. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the shows she did that were of some substance and relevant to the viewer, but I couldn't stomach one minute of the overindulgent/celebrity-worship lovefest that marked the last 2 shows, nor the borderline sermon she gave for her final sendoff. Just too self-important for my tastes and the exact opposite of humbled gratitude.

Still, I think she's done a lot more good in the world than bad, no doubt, so who am I to judge I guess.

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I'll miss her show, I watched yesterday and loved that part where all the black men who were under Oprah's college scholarship walked around her holding candles. I was in tears!!

Kathy Griffin once said it best, "with Oprah we kind of do what she says"

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I thought it was kind of dull and boring. Ok, I thought it was REALLY dull and boring. She just stood there and talked. It was her finale so she can do it how she wants, lord knows she earned it. I just felt like it came across as a commencement speech. I'd have preferred more videos and memories but I know she has been doing that the last couple of weeks.

5. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Nice that she was finally able to do a couple of shows that were all about her. ;)

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I just heard the excerpt on the radio from the children talking about how they are part of the Oprah generation or something like that. It was enough to turn me off.

7. DianeO

DianeO New Member

I tuned in yesterday and was bored out of my mind. It didn't hold my attention at all. Also, it was way over the top IMO how she acted like this was the "end" and she was saying good bye. Um, the woman has her OWN network now, so it's not like she is disappearing off of TV. If anything, she has now expanded her self-important empire. So it's really not the end of anything. Just a bunch of hype over someone who thinks she has made more of a difference in the world than she actually has. I almost vomited when she said she always wanted to be a teacher and this was her 'classroom'. As a teacher myself, I hardly think that hosting a talk show and making gazillions of dollars is anything like what I do on a daily basis (for far less money). She probably wouldn't last a week in a real classroom by herself especially without a staff full of people writing her lesson plans :rolleyes:.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I have all the respect in the world for the woman and her abilities. But I have never watched a single show. I'm just not into that type of show, and I was always working when it came on anyway....I did watch part of one show while I was walking a treadmill at a gym, and I thought it was the silliest thing I ever saw. But more power to the O! She's a brilliant business person.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That part made me want to hurl....especially when Jada Pinkett was onstage, and that patronizing comment she made about Oprah not having children of her own, but being a "mother to millions". Maybe it's me, but I had a real problem with the way she said it, the words and the tone.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

It seems that the phrase "she's a brilliant businessperson" is the modern world's answer to "bless her heart." :lol:

I don't like Oprah, either. Except in The Color Purple.

11. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol:

She was pretty good in The Women of Brewster Place too.

12. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I like Oprah ok...she has done a lot of good. As far as celebrities go, she's one of the least annoying IMO. That being said, I hadn't watched her show more than once or twice in the last 10 years. I was always working when it was on..and if I was at home, I had something else I'd rather be doing.

13. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I taped the show and am glad I did. She posed some serious questions and made me think. She's my inspiration. She also emailed me. We can all try to be more like Oprah and follow her way of thinking. :)

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Unlike Cupid, I was underwhelmed by the final show. I'm not really an Oprah uber, but enjoy some of the topics she has presented. She loses me when she gets all preachy. That said, the Men of Morehouse segment on the penultimate show was really something. Imagine having the wealth to be able to do that much for so many? I can only dream.

15. floskate

floskate Vacant

:rofl: Was she canonising herself? I actually hope this shows up on youtube just so I can see this unbelievable essay in self-agrandisement for myself. The clips on the news here - yes the UK news actually thought we'd be interested, despite the fact her show was dropped by mainstream UK networks eons ago - were just beyond hysterical!

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

How will we know what books to read without Oprah suggesting titles for us? ;) :lol:

17. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Definitely won't miss how she would announce the celebrities before they came on stage. E.g., "Celine Diioooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!" "Julia Robbbbertttttttttts" :wall:

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

:rofl:

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Goodbye, Oprah! :scream: :scream:

20. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Good lord the woman's been leaving forever. She's the house guest from Hell.

I worked with a radiology resident who was a TV weather guy in his first incarnation of himself. He worked with Oprah way before she was *Oprah* at a small Chicago TV station. He said she was a really nice person with an incredible work ethic which explains why *she's a brilliant businesswoman.* Bless her heart.

21. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I just assumed she'd find her way here and then she'd start one of her own....it is all about Oprah!

22. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

She is probably planning on becoming the first woman president of the US. She would probably win too.

Although isn't Kwan mean to be the first woman president of the US?

23. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call WLS "a small Chicago TV station" -- granted it's not WABC in New York, but still. :drama: The AM Chicago 1/2 hour show Oprah hosted was definitely a small start (the show was in last place in its time slot when she came on board), but within months it was in first and went national 2-3 years later. I can't believe I know this much about Oprah :shuffle:, but since I'm in Illinois, I probably know as much about Phil Donahue. :lol: I know absolutely nothing about Jerry Springer -- except that he was on DWTS and a mayor! somewhere -- and from the promo clips I've seen for his show, I probably should be glad that I don't! :scream:

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Oprah definitely can be annoying but I can't hate on her...I love her self-made, rags-to-riches story so much!

So, I watched some of the old clips these last few weeks. I forgot about the time Oprah rolled out all that raw meat on the wagon and said it represented the weight she had lost. Looking at all that meat made me really nauseous then...and now! :lol:
    It's not just you; it bugged me too. "Oh Oprah, you failed to squirt a new generation of famewhores out of your hooha like I did, but you're still good people!" :D

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: So true, Cheylana. I can't stand those little brats of hers.

She totally could have said something else. Totally.

26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Oprah has certainly evolved in her TV career. Her first network shows were more of the scandalous variety. Think a much, much milder Jerry Springer. But that was back when those shows were just getting a toehold on TV - much as reality shows are now. The first ones aren't so bad but then everyone tries to outdo each other until the market is saturated and they are soooo bad.

27. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Well from a philanthropic standpoint, the woman has done tons for the world. She's reportedly given away $300-400M of her own money to charity and various causes.

I'm not surprised to hear she was a hardworker. I don't think you get to be that successful and filthy rich without a tremendous amount of hard work.

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

"Bitter bitches? Table for 24?"

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 27, 2011
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

The thing that bugs me about Oprah is her sense of self-importance. A couple of days after 9/11, when I was living in NYC, y'all may remember the huge gathering at Yankee Stadium with Giuliani, the Clintons, etc. Oprah was the host. When she got up and delivered her speech, continuously saying (in overdone fashion) "...AND WE WILL NOT BE MOOOOOOVED," it really made me want to hurl. To me, it came across so fake--I truly believe she was desperately trying to be thought of as the next Martin Luther King, Jr., during one of the biggest crises in American history. Yecch.

She's a media figure, to be sure: I certainly can't deny she's created her own success. But I have a hard time accessing the deification of this woman. I rarely watch her show, but I tuned in briefly about a month ago. Celebrities were saying, "Oprah--you have changed the face of America!" (Ummmm... how exactly has she done THAT?) And what's more, she said "thank you" with such a lack of humility, as if to say, "damn straight, honey--you may now kiss my feet and then slink away..."

You can bet this woman will run for public office in the not-so-distant future.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of Oprah's show, but she's always had a generous heart. Most people think that you need to be a conniving SOB stepping on people to be successful, but it's great to hear that Oprah is one of the good guys. :)