No More Kardashians?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by taf2002, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago Paris Hilton made an appearance at the Toronto Hudson's Bay store across from the Eaton Centre and I wondered who would want to see Paris Hilton? Hundreds of young women turned up.

I subsequently watched Paris' TV show where Paris searched for a new BFF. The show was a nightmare. Are people so desperate for fame they'll allowed themselves to be used so shamelessly? Sadly, the answer seems to be "Yes".

We have teenage girls getting pregnant so they can be on Teen Mom. This is the message the girls are getting and embracing: Get famous. Do anything to get famous.

We need a better message.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Somewhere around 2004 or 2005, I had a senior girl who had to write an essay on a personal role model for a very competitive and very large scholarship to a local college. In spite of my warning her that it was not a good idea, she wrote her essay on Paris Hilton. She didn't make the final round for the scholarship selection and couldn't understand why, when a classmate with slightly lower grades did. Her classmate's essay was about a family member. Go figure.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The Kardashians make no sense to me either, but I have heard here and there from teens and twentysomethings who love them - they are pretty and have great clothes and their own perfume and fashion lines, they get to meet lots of other celebrities and go to big parties, and they are on tv and in magazines all the time. I can sorta see the appeal to people of a certain age and mindset.

Plus, as we've discussed, to get a series of tv shows and land so many magazine covers, there must be *some* interest out there. Modern day starlets, socialites, it girls and royalty I guess - only now we have the internet and many more channels to fill with content, so those who aren't interested somehow have trouble avoiding it.

For that matter, there are those who don't get that I follow Kate Middleton and got up at 2 in the morning to watch the wedding, as I did with Diana before her. When it comes down to it, neither is particularly worthy of admiration or attention (Diana later on, but certainly not at first) on their own - it's just because of who they were marrying and the interesting life they would lead because of it. And they're pretty and rich and wear nice clothes and live in castles and ...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

The stuff on the main floor is very trendy - bags, shoes, accessories and make-up, but their other levels, not so much.

The downtown Toronto Bay Stores are very high end trendy - designer fashions for women of all sizes, large and small. The plus size boutique has Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Jones of New York, and other premium labels.

5. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Do they still have a store at Yonge and Bloor?

6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

No More Kardashians?

Didn't the Kardashians go to war against the Klingons?

Kruss, cygnus, algonquin and 3 others like this.
  7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Because she is a future queen of England, which will mean that she will eventually be part of a country's Head of State. And will potentially give birth to another future Head of State. Which in the scheme of things probably gives her a bit more importance in the British heirachical order and subsequent position in the world than the Katrashians.

8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Kim Kardashian is on a Media Lockdown

I don't dislike Khloe (I think she may be kind of fun to hang out with, and was screwed over pretty hard on Celebrity Apprentice), and I actually like Rob, after seeing him on DWTS, but Kim just has this air of 'I'm entitled to everything' about her and she needs to have some brains smacked into her.

9. Aussie Willy

Does she needs brains smacked into her or just smacked?

10. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Both - I figure if she's going to be deservedly smacked, she might as well get a brain out of the process.

11. Aussie Willy

:lol: But would it make a difference?

12. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

13. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I have watched some of the episodes, including the one you mention. The way it was portrayed, Bruce went to pick up some perscriptions that were waiting at the pharmacy. Among them was birth control for the young daughter, which according to Kris was because the girl was suffering from bad cramps. However, they then turned it into Bruce thinking it was permission for his daughter to have sex. I'm sure most girls that age wouldn't want their cramps being discussed on television.

As someone with endometriosis, I thought it was great that someone was actually listening to the kid about the pain and symptoms. BC pills can help in many circumstances. However, they have mutilated most medical information. They have referred to psoriasis as just a rash. Endometriosis was called just some scar tissue.

So it gets pretty laughable when the "very special" episodes are filled with misinformation.

14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I saw Kim today on one of those enterinment shows this afternoon. She was touted as one of several "celebrities" serving Thanksgiving meals to the homeless. The media spins continues. Next she will do the Tom Cruise thing of rescuing someone who was drowning.

15. Aussie Willy

Maybe she will just drown.

16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

So much for the "media lockdown"....

17. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Kakes and her family have zero shame. Nice of her to arrange a photo op of her "helping" the homeless in order to make herself look better. I saw a picture of her on one of the celeb blogs and she was surrounded by photographers trying to get a picture of her. I wonder if she hired them the way she hires the other paps when she's coming and going. :rolleyes:

Sadly though, I'm wondering if the fake marriage really has finally put an end to the Kartrashians (I'd like to think so). They still have some fans who are convinced that they are good honest folk being picked on by all the haters. I'm sure those people and those who just want to watch the trainwreck will tune in when Kakes' show starts another season.

18. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Um, not likely. She has quite the pair of water wings.

19. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Dammit taf, I was gonna make a comment about buoys, but you got there first ! :p

Too slow ... Too slow... :(.