NJ Storm

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

We have two companies in our town. Both have been commandeered by the electric company and can't do any private business until they are released.

Folks down the street have a tree leaning against the house. Any high winds may finish it off, bringing their deck down with it. Their insurance company finally found a tree service from down the Cape to come and get rid of it. Thank goodness our neighbors won't have to pay (insurance is paying as loss prevention) as the service is charging 4 extra hours to cover the transit time. btw, the estimate for clearing it was 30 minutes work.
  2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for your neighbors!

We spoke to a private tree company on Sunday. They said that they could cut down the damaged trees and chip what has fallen that day, but it would cost over $1000.00. they said that if we wait 3 weeks it will be $700.00. There is nothing that is a danger to our house, and I've already cleared the street, so we can wait. We have a HUGE tree that is leaning across the driveway, if it falls it could hit the kitchen roof. But the tree guy said that since it sustained the storm, it would be safe for another 3 weeks. Said it's a locust tree and they're pretty strong. Maybe so, but I want it down. We'll have to wait for Spring to see what other landscaping damage there is. Can't tell what shrubs and smaller trees are not going to make it. The hydrangeas are looking bad, Madonna would be pleased :)D).
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

The rinks in Hackensack and in South Mountain have been closed due to lack of power, and just reopened today.

I have heard that there are still 450,000 people without power in CT (down from 750,000). What is it that causes CT to lose power in storms in larger numbers of households than neighboring states, where the storm seemed to be just as bad?
  4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

CL&P has been notoriously remiss in their planning and overall administration over the last few years. In addition, since they are in line for a merger with Amstar up in Massachusetts, they have steadily reducing their cost structure by not doing maintenance, not replacing trucks and equipment that are wearing out/worn out, not hiring additional linesmen, not having any high wire linesmen at all, etc. etc.
  5. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Thanks for that info. I was thinking something must be up with CT, because the neighboring states get just as wacked, if not more so, and yet it's always CT with more power outages, and a slower repair timeline.
  6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

If it were 20 degrees inside the house, your water pipes would probably burst, so it really would be much worse even aside from comfort level.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. cruisin

Mennen is open today, but only 1 surface is up. The other two melted down to the cement.

Very true!
  8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We live in a random suburban neighborhood. We were hit twice by 5 day power outages, one in summer and one in winter. Winter was worse because of the cold. We finally went and got a generator from Home Depot, it is hooked up to heater/air conditioner, refrigerator, and some lights downstairs, and electrical outlets for laptops. Generators are the best thing ever invented.

One of the men in our neighborhood is a stay at home dad and got on a project to remedy the situation. He had our power gridded off a different street, and we have not had any major power outages since, been about a few years. All we have to worry about now are minor outages, like a tree falling on our very own wires, but sometimes that type takes longer because there are fewer people to please. And our electric and gas co does do major preventative tree trimming, interesting that Conn. seems to have none any more.
  9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'm seriously considering a whole house generator. Just not sure if it's worth the 10-15K price tag.
  10. cruisin

The problem that many people here, who have generators, had was getting gas. The smaller generators only last about 4 - 8 hours. Since there was no power, they couldn't get more gas locally, the gas stations were closed. I do have one neighbor who has extra gas, but it's kept in a shed. You can't store it in your house. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, the generator has to be hooked up to the heat/A/C separately from the house electricity. One of my neighbors found that out, the hard way.
  11. milanessa

Whole house generators work on propane.
  12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

According to this morning's radio news, there are still more than 80,000 people in MA without power, down from over half-a million on Monday. Three of the 80K are friends of mine. One co-worker has been out since Saturday; she's the only one on her street still out and National Grid doesn't know why.
  13. cruisin

But, don't you still have to get propane tanks filled?

Maybe she should contact an electrician, there could be a problem on her property/in her house. Is it an older home? Could a surge have blown something out that is preventing the house from going back on? Do they have underground utilities? Could a tree have gone down and something in the root system took out a conduit on their property? I'm not sure how all of this works, but it could be something wrong that needs "on property" attention.
  14. milanessa

Yes but with a whole house generator you have a big propane tank installed - it's not the little ones like you use for a barbecue grill. Everything is all hooked up and, if it senses that the power is off, after XX minutes it fires up and, voila, power to everything. Still not sure if I want to drop 10-15K on one, though. Although the next time the power goes out I'll be considering it again. :lol:
  15. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

If you have natural gas, I believe it's possible to have a gas line piped directly into your generator.
  16. milanessa

We don't. :( That would be easier and less expensive but...
  17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If we had gas, I don't think we'd even consider a generator. If we could have kept the house warm and used the range, we could have gotten by just fine.
  18. milanessa

For those people with all electric homes it is a bit harder. We have a small generator but they're almost as much a pain as no power at all - not quite but almost. You can only feel safe storing so much gas on your property and (as cruisin said) it's hard to come by in a widespread outage.
  19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

What about a woodstove? My grandmother had one in the basement of her farmhouse, and it could generate a lot of heat. She even used to put a pan of water on top of it as a makeshift humidifier.
  20. milanessa

That might work for a lot of people. I live in Florida - doing without heat is not my problem. We do have a barbecue grill that works with either gas or charcoal and it has 2 side burners so cooking isn't a big problem, AC and the lack of water are. Luckily we have a pool so can use the water to flush toilets but a week or more without bathing is rough. :yikes:
  21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Well that changes everything :lol:

For potable water, I do recommend a water service. A couple of years ago we bought a water cooler and now have the big jugs delivered and picked up at a very reasonable cost. Doesn't solve the bathing problem, but at least we always have a good supply of drinkable water for ourselves and our pets, should the city supply be compromised.

For the generator, could you just get a small one that can power a fan in one room? Might be a lot more efficient than trying to cool the whole house - I though AC systems were particularly high energy users.
  22. cruisin

I suggested to my husband that we consider one, he said that we've lived here for 25 years and this is the first time we would had needed one. True, but we lost power twice in 2 months - Irene and this storm with no name. 10-15K is a lot! So, I doubt we'll do it. Probably will regret it if it happens again.

I've never heard of that, but I suppose you could.

We have gas heat and you would need a generator. The gas heats the furnace, but you need electricity to force the air. Possibly hot water heat, baseboard heating might not cut out, if it is gas. We had hot water because our hot water heater is gas. We have neighbors who recently changed over to the "ready hot water" system. That needs electricity, they were kicking themselves. It is greener, but no power, no hot water.

We have electric ovens, but a gas cooktop - so we could boil water for coffee (in a French press), cook soup, make oatmeal. But since the fridge was out, couldn't really do much more.
  23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was thinking steam. Our house is older and it would be a fairly easy conversion from forced hot water to steam. Problem is, there's no natural gas service on our street. Otherwise, we'd convert from oil in a heartbeat.
  24. milanessa

If you have natural gas that price goes down a lot - a good chunk of that cost for me is burying a propane tank.
  25. cruisin

Hmmm, this is interesting. So many of my neighbors got generators after Irene, because their sump pumps cut out. None, that I know of, have gotten anything that can hook up to the house. Does that only work with big, whole house generators? Or can you do that with smaller ones? I know you can hook a bar-b-que grill up to natural gas lines from the house.
  26. milanessa

I'm not sure I understand your question. I suppose someone in Florida might have a sump pump but I've never heard of anyone with one. (We don't have basements.) The whole house generator is probably the size of a central AC unit and is wired through a transfer switch. Power goes out, it comes on and that's about as technical as I can get. :lol:
  27. cruisin

I was asking if small generators can be connected to the house gas lines. Or, is that only an option for the bigger, whole house ones? Or are all generators pretty much the same size? I have no idea.

Did I explain better?

We have basements here, we're 1,000 ft above sea level. Flooding here is a fluke, but because of the floating slab basements, many people have sump pumps. Irene was a perfect storm situation. There was no above ground flooding in this area. What happened was the water table was very high, from all of the spring/summer rain. The water seeped up into basements through the channel in the floating slab basements. some homes had 4 feet of water. Because they lost power, the sump pumps didn't go on. We were fine because our garage is basement level, so the back of our basement is above ground. The slope of our yard/driveway (which is treacherous in the winter) saved us from a flood.
  28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My father was the oldest of 8...all still in NJ and wondering when in the hell the insane weather will end. My aunt told me the last two winters are the worst in memory, followed by endless rains in the warm season and now this. What is happening?
  29. milanessa

Yes. :)

Some portable generators can be hooked up to gas lines coming into the house, they're more expensive than those running off gasoline, though. Instead of a couple of hundred dollars you'd pay about a thousand for a good one. Generators vary a lot by size. Not only physical size but also in kilowatts. The more appliances/outlets/equipment you want to run the more kilowatts you need.
  30. cruisin

Okay. But you don't need a whole house generator to hook it up to your house. I think that most of my neighbors got generators for around $500.00, probably too small for a hook up. $1,000 is a lot, but over the years it could save a lot of money in losses. Thanks for the info. All I would really need is keeping the heat or A/C on, and the fridge. Lights would be nice but not a necessity.
  31. milanessa

A lot of companies make generators but one in particular gets excellent reviews almost across the board. If we do take the plunge we'd use them. They come to your house and help you determine what your needs and wants are and help to select the generator that'll work under your conditions.

http://www.generac.com/
  32. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ I live near a lake and almost all the residents have this brand. You can get small ones to run a few things or mega ones that you will never know the power is out!
  33. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

We are seriously discussing getting a generator, we moved into our house in August and so far we lost power twice, the hurricane and the snow storm. Talking to our neighbors, they tell us our block loses its electricity every time there is a storm. My son is on medication that must be kept refrigerated so a generator would be easier than finding someone with a working refrigerator to store the medication.
  34. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

My power was out only for about 7 hours, probably because I live within a mile of a major hospital complex. But my son's power was out for an entire week, as was his girlfriend's.

I saw many power trucks on the roads today, some from states as far away as Alabama, and that's because there are still a significant number of people without power.

There are still trees down everywhere. My next-door neighbor lost a huge maple, and the entrance to my development was blocked for a day by a row of downed trees. After seeing all the damage around me, I feel very, very lucky that the trees on my property are OK.
  35. cruisin

What is concerning me now is that many trees still have broken branches on them. Some are huge and it would not take much for them to break off completely. Some are straddling above ground wires that are not down. Nothing is being done about these broken trees. Many of them are trees that the town planted. The town has a hold harmless policy, so any damages the trees they planted causes, they are not responsible for. However, we are not allowed to touch their trees.