NJ Storm

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Nov 1, 2011.

1. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

On my phone, must be short. Don't have time to search for existing thread. No power or heat since Saturday around 1pm. It's 47 degrees in the house. Not much chance for power until Thursday or Friday. Trees and powe lines down all over. Looks like a war zone.

2. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Oh, my, I knew it was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad. Can you go somewhere else for a couple of days?

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My yard looks like a 90' tall Big Foot stomped through it, smooshing all trees and bushes in its path. My entire town looks the same. But at least I have power, for which I'm grateful.

A lot of this area won't get power back for some days. One good thing is that the daytime temps are going to be going up a bit over the next couple of days, which can help those without heat somewhat.

Lots of schools are still cancelled here, for a second day.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Still no power where I live. The tree guys did come and clean up, so the lawn no longer looks like a beaver training ground. No hotel rooms to be had in the general area, either. Folks are bring all sorts of electronics to work so they can charge them. The guy a few cubes over from me has 3 laptops, 2 cell phones, a handheld game and his iPad all charging. Seems the biggest shortage is outlets!

5. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Unfortunately, nowhere to go, I have a dog. And not an available hotel room t be found. Could go to my brother's, but that's an hour and a half away. Too far to leave the house unchecked. It's warmer outside, but the house is not warming above 51 degrees. That' cold! Night is miserable, no light, no heat. I do have hot water, but yesterday, I had to dry my hair using the heat vent in my car, turned way up. Charging my phone in the car too. This is far worse than the hurricane. I don't know when the mess will get cleaned up. Our driveway finally got plowed, but they needed chain saws to clear the two enormous trees that fell across it. Thankfully they didn't hit the house.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Hang tough, cruisin! Next time take your hair dryer to a public bathroom and dry it there. Who cares if people look at you funny!

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I hope you kept the wood for your fireplace. I feel for all of you without power. Happens to us every few years and, when it does, we don't even have water.

Yep. The Y here opens their showers (and outlets) to all when this happens. No one looks at you funny since we're all in the same boat.

8. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

(((cruisin))) I know exactly how you feel. I was in the same situation. No power since Saturday, just got it back an hour ago. They were saying Thursday, too. Hopefully you'll be next. Sending you lots of HOT vibes. Hang in there!

9. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I just talked to my mother in western Connecticut. She was in the middle of giving a little party lunch for her friends, none of whom have power or heat in their homes. She has two wood stoves that are a godsend at times like this. The burners on her gas stove work too. She having her friends over to warm up. Mind you, this old dame is 84 years old and still humping wood into the house. God bless her, she's pure gold, and I worry a lot about her in a dark house at night. I heard it was the worst power outage in Connecticut's history. Worse than Irene?

10. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

They lost power for about two weeks then, but it wasn't so cold then. So yeah, I would call this one worse. Dark is one thing, your house being freezing cold is another. Like cruisin said it's miserable.

11. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Yes, many are in the same boat in MA. We only lost power for about 12 hours, most of it overnight. We were incredibly lucky in that regard. Many towns still don't have power and there's a lot of downed trees and branches everywhere. We're getting a generator ASAP if this is any indication of how winter is going to be.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

There are also more people without power from this storm in CT than there were after Irene, so that's probably a factor. Irene caused 600,000 people in CT to lose power. This storm caused 750,000 people there to lose power.

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

This is exactly what Buffalo experienced in 2006, although it was even earlier in October, around the 14th. My neighborhood, north of the city, "only" lost power for 2 days because our lines are underground, but many places with aboveground powerlines lost power for a week or more. In the best timing of my life, I was visiting my sister in Florida.

The leaves on the trees are supposed to fall off before it snows, otherwise branches become too heavy and branches/trees come down. Stormy, if they're predicting any more snow for your area before Thanksgiving, I'd definitely get a generator! Buffalo was a huge mess and it made national news. Hopefully you can get cleaned up fast!

14. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

We lost power for 2 days, but a good chunk of my town in still without power. School has been cancelled all week, with another day off tomorrow. Out of the 9 schools in town, only four of them have power. There was a professional development day scheduled today for us teachers, but they let us leave a bit early and do "prep" from home if there was power there because the high school had no heat.

15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Possibly more and I'm one of them. I flew into Newark from Toronto post SC and drove to my Mom who had power. 100% of my town and most around me have no power and it probably won't be back up until the weekend(hopefully). I was supposed to finish my vacation at home but decided I might as well turn around and go back to NJ to work. :( There was a 40 foot tree that was dislodged at the roots and fell between my and my neighbor's house, narrowly missing mine by about 5 feet!

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I got power back sometime during the day, so it was on when I got home from work. Good wishes for quick recovery to everyone still without power.

17. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

A lot of people have been out of work this week due to power issues.

Cruisin, there are some area hotels that will take dogs. My boss has been in three separate ones since Saturday with her two dogs. She just got power back and was planning to return home tonight, but she had a reservation until Friday. I wish I had asked her the name of the hotel.....

Hope you get power soon!

I have power, but a roof that is currently open to the elements. :lol: So much for doing construction before the bad weather hit.....

18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Um, Louis, isn't it a little cold?

19. milanessa

A little cuddling with Sweets keeps Louis warm. ;)

20. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Note on numbers for connecticit - it is number of customers/households, not people, so higher.
    I am outside Hartford and have power (my town is about 50 percent). Many towns are 100% out and schools close for rest of week. I work in a department of 25 and only one other coworkers has power as of today. I live on a townhouse complex, and I have never seen so many cars, many of my neighbors have family/friends staying w them. I know folks staying at hotels or showering at work. But everyone I know Is very positive.

21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

We finally got our power back yesterday, our section of New Jersey looks like it was hit by a tornado, trees and branches down, electrical wires hanging down, many still have no lights or heat, no gas since the gas stations need electricity to pump the gas.

22. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

NJ really had it bad this year, Morris County in particular.
    We have trees all over, and it does look like a war zone.
    I consider myself lucky because it was a miracle that my neigbours tree missed my roof when it colupsed into my backyard.
    Due to the hazardous travel conditions, caused by the storm on Saturday, school was closed yesterday and today.
    Too many people are still without power. :(

23. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Good idea, didn't think of that!

It's all still on the side of my driveway. I have no idea when it will get moved. I think the tree people are coming in 3 weeks, to take down the trees that are only partly down and chip the branches that are not big enough to save. I went out Sunday and pulled all of the big branches, that were half in the street, up onto our property, to clear the road. I am amazed at how many other neighbors have just left trees in the street. There are sections where you can't get through without scratching your car. When I walked today I tried moving some of the other neighbors trees, out of the way, but some were too big for me and my back could take just so much.

(((right back to you)))

Our utilities are underground too. But a main trunk went down and took out many grids.

I feel for you completely!

Power came on about 7:30 tonight :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I went to the mall to stay warm for a few hours. On the way home I called my house to see if the phone would ring (our phones are part of our cable contract, on the modem - no power - no phones). The phone went to - your call did not go through. so, I called my husband and it froze my new iPhone. I didn't know how to power it down - the power button wouldn't work. So, I'm crying at this point, no house phones, no power, and my new cell phone crashes! I got home, opened the garage door, got my flashlight, went in screaming at my husband that I need his cell to call Verizon, and I suddenly notice - WE HAVE LIGHT! I was so flustered, I didn't even realize it. It came on between my call and the ten minutes it took to get home. We went out to eat, threw away all of the food today, and the house was 70ยบ when we got home. I am sooooooooo happy! It's warm!

Eden, you're right Morris County got nailed this fall, especially the north western parts. My daughter lives in Morristown, she had power, we didn't. But, I couldn't stay with her, she and her BF have a one bedroom and they are both working and in graduate school. Too distracting for them. My son stayed with his girlfriend, near his law school, but he finally came home tonight - needed clothes.

I am 58 years old, I've been through some bad storms, hurricanes (I was in FL for Andrew, though not in Miami *And I know that the damage in Miami was way beyond way beyond what happened here, thought least it was warm), blizzards, etc., but this was the worst I've ever seen. The property destruction is just staggering, when you consider it was 16" of snow. It is just amazing that leaves being on the trees could make this much of a difference, but it does.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  24. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Hooray!

I read today that about 1000 trees in Central Park have been/are going to be destroyed because of this storm. That's a lot of trees.

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Cruisin -- really glad you got power back on -- I hope you (and your home's pipes) all survive the chill without taking too much damage.

Given the damage we had from the 14" of heavy wet snow last week, tree pruning and chipping folks are going to have a very nice Christmas. Very nice.

More snow due tonight, but this time it is supposed to be the light and fluffy variety.

26. milanessa

I'm sure it's bad and folk are suffering. At least 13 dead. :( But worse than Andrew? No way I'll believe that until you show me houses that have been blown away.

Never mind - I see you edited your post. :)

27. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

So sad. Though I'm not surprised. We have several hundreds down in our neighborhood. We lost at least 10 in our yard. One just missed the house, and another has been worrisome, we're taking it down now. Though, I suppose if it weathered this storm, it's okay. The problem is it's right in line with the kitchen window :scream:!

28. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Yeah, I realized that shivering was not quite the same as what happened to Miami with Andrew. Sorry.

We were in Orlando. My best friend and her (ex) husband and daughter were with us in Orlando. They were scheduled to go back, the news reports about Andrew were coming in, we tried to make them stay with us. My friend's husband is $%^@!HOLE, he insisted on going back, to check on their condo (It was on the 18th floor! And who cares about that, they cold have died!). I can't tell you how terrified I was for my friend and my Godchild. I will never forgive that (see above) for putting them at risk like that.

29. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Thanks!

We talked to the tree people who are working in our neighborhood, yesterday. They said that if we want it cleared out this week its over $1000.00, if we wait for 3 weeks, it will be about $600.00. So, yes, they will have a very nice holiday.

30. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Please. For the past month, we've been living in less than 200 square feet with junk and fine layers of dust all around us while the rest of the never-ending construction continues. We are barely speaking and we are definitely not cuddling. :lol:

The other big problem is that we have no winter clothing at all since this was supposed to be done in August. Everything is in storage in Brooklyn. And of course it is in the very back of the storage unit behind all of the furniture, which we still can't move back.

Ordinarily this would be a sign to go buy a new wardrobe, but with the state of this construction, I shudder to think how low end we'd have to go. :drama:

So, for the next month, I'm going to have to cleverly layer. I nearly cried with joy when I found out a sweater I had ordered and shipped to my office in the late spring.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.