Nikolai Morozov Interview Article

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

To each his own. And yes, your condescending tone (...it would have made NO difference... this is Miki!) does come across as a put down to me.

2. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

People should be allowed to call a rubish a rubish.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to Rippon, he wanted more of Morozov's time, because he was struggling on his own to fix and land the 3A, among other things, and Morozov was on the road a lot with his other skaters.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

What is a rubish? Is it like a radish?

Whatever, that rubixh beat Yuna this year. Not bad.

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. t.mann

t.mann New Member

LOL

exactly my thought.

6. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Well, I remember it slightly differently. The first time I saw Adam in competition was Skate America 2008. It was not an impressive performance. His free program looked empty. Then he moved to Toronto, David Wilson modified the program, and Adam's performance became much more alive later in the season.

I suspect Morozov did not have enough time to fine-tune Adam's programs, which might have been a factor in his decision to go to a different coach/choreographer.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

Sometimes I feel that the Russian and European skaters and coaches can be a bit more direct and blunt than their North American counterparts.

To be fair, the L&T situation seemed to be somewhat similar to the Adam Rippon situation as was described a few posts earlier. They don't want to take the advice of the coach or there are other various assorted issues and when things don't work out they blame the coach. Actually both sides blame the other. I remember after L&T had yet another disastrous outting of the Storm/Air on a G-String FD at the GWG's Zhulin commented that backstage someone told him "you know you've just lost them." Air on a G-String was one of L&T's best FD's; it's not Zhulins fault that for whatever reason L&T never were able to put the program out there the way it should have been.

8. casken

casken Well-Known Member

That was the first time they lost to Navka & Kostomorov, and they never recovered. It was fair though, IMO of course.

It was her. It was always her.

He should have skated with Navka or Grishuk. :shuffle:

9. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

10. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Working with any ice dance coach would have that effect. Even lower-level ice dancers have better basic skills than the majority of the best singles.

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Morosov may be a jerk and his choreography annoys fans, but he gets results with his skaters. He was Adam's coach when he won JWorlds. Miki has been very successful with him and so has Amodio. His competitive programs are choreographed to win. Which is why the Russian fed is willing to pay.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, we can see that. :p

Ungrateful Japanese bastards, innit!

os168 - You've summed up Ando's deficiencies pretty well.

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I took what he said about Miki(especially since it was translated, right?) to say that he doesn't want to mess with something that works for her. She's having success and he doesn't want to screw it up by giving her something really different that might throw her off.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I'm pretty sure this particular Morozov interview was conducted in English. :)

15. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

They won junior worlds in 2010 iirc

16. Shah-reen

Shah-reen New Member

:rofl: I'm really excited to try some new things, especially with the boys:rofl:

Really?

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well he's been through most of the women in the skating world who would give him the time of day...why not move on to something new?

18. os168

os168 Active Member

I been revising my official guide program from the WC championships.

I find it very interesting, as far as I know Morozov is the most popular coach on Russian skating forums, but in English forums, he is really disliked .... may be the more he is dislike in the English forums, the more popular he is back in Russia?? I wonder what they think of Frank Carroll for example?

Miki on the other hand is the favourite current ladies skater on Russian skating board by association of Morozov, at least that was my impression speaking to a few Russia skating forum members. It is ironic that in the entire world, it is in Russia, Miki is the most popular ladies figure skater of all, far more than back she is back in Japan where Mao is widely celebrated by fans and the press. So may be it is unsurprising she won, she has home advantage. She was the 1st competitive skater featured on the official WC Moscow guide with her one page feature. Mao was next with 2 pages (+2 full page ads).

Ironically Yuna was not found anywhere in the official guide other than by name, not even a stamped size photograph anywhere in sight, heck, even all the Russian babies who did not participate at all EACH got a full page by themselves on the 64 page guide.

She was quoted in the Mao articles in the closing statement only, exactly as following:

"The South Korean Yu Na Kim won the Olympic Games in Vancouver. However, a month later Asada defeated Kim to win the World Championship in Turin by delivering excellent performances of both programs, choreographed for her by Tarasova. The Japanese skater became the first woman to land three triple axel in one competition: one in the short program and two in the long. Due to a number of reasons her cooperation with the Russian coach has become sporadic, but Mao is still full of ambitions: to become the brightest athlete in the history of the ladies figure skating, to win in Moscow and at the Olympic Games in Sochi"

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Adam discussed his parting with Morozov on his blog in very mature and classy terms. He acknowledged Morozov's efforts and contributions, while factually relating the problems caused by Morozov's travel schedule and demands on Morozov's time. Meanwhile Morozov comes off like a petty kid sniping at Adam's performances.

Clearly maturity isn't just a function of age.

20. Sylvia

Could it be possible that Yu-Na Kim was not given her own page in the 2011 Worlds program guide because her participation at Worlds was not certain at the time the guide went to press?

21. os168

os168 Active Member

I don't know. I found the whole thing rather strange. She has always expressed she is expect to take part for WC2011 through out the year to the extend modifying her schedule after the cancellation in Japan.

There were lots of other skaters with their own one page features who did not even take part that has been included in the official guide to commemorate the event. Like Shizuka Arakawa for instance, and the Russian babies Adelina and Elizaveta, all got one page each. Even if Yuna is not expect to make it, not even a picture or a proper mention as the reigning Olympic Champion or past world champion? Hopefully it was not deliberate.

22. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

So his comment about not being thanked by the Japanese federation was interesting to me. Its like a little glimpse of humanity in ol Nikolai lol.

Anyway, if i were the Japanese federation ( or a representative of their governing body) and i read that, i would be irritated after i looked at the cleared checks log. I mean, i know that there was no WAY that he got paid in bred crumbs and birdseeds. That guy ate STEAK if you know what I mean. Plus, ok, i can see the validity of his pompous claim that without him there would be no Daisuke but wasnt it the Japanese skaters who really put him on the map? I mean, how many times does he reference Tatiana Tarasova in interviews when she let him work with her brightest and best skaters to make a name for himself.

When you read interviews of Frank Carrol, he references Maribel Owens all the time. Thats honor and respect. I respect Morosov but he can lose the "they hurt my feelings cause they didnt make a bid deal about how cool i am" act.

23. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

The interview just plan turned me off. I now understand why so many of you dislike him. He really didn't have to poke at Adam, but I got the feeling that if you leave him, he will say your no good or something was wrong, because it couldn't be him at fault. However, being the critical natured person that I am, I have to wonder if Adam isn't jumping into a situation with Jason and Yuka that he ran from with Morozov. After all they have a ton of skaters now, and many are international skaters. Maybe with two of them vers one of Morozov this will not be an issue for Adam as it was before, but not sure.

24. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

I have heard the official guide book was based on the guide book made by JSF for Tokyo Worlds. Is there a person who has the exact information?
    (os168, was there Plushenko's page too?)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  25. os168

os168 Active Member

No Plushy, wasn't he banned by ISU at the time of the Guidebook to press?! Would be weird right?

After Mao, it was Dai has 2 pages (I just love him), Joubert has 2 pages (Love him too :D) , Pang/Tong 1 page, Patrick 1 page (Where they called him 'a 20 years old brat' and 'loose tongue' hahaha ooh dear!), Carolina Kostner got 2 pages, S&S got 2, Tessa and Scott, Meryl and Charlie got 1 page each, Yuko and Alex got 2, Volosozhar/Trankov got 2, Bazarova/Larionov got 1, Bobrova/Soloviev got 1,ILYNIKH/KATSALPOV got 1, Arthur got 1, Makarova got 2. Alena Leonova got 1, Adelina Sotnikova got 1, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva got 1. That's it... The end. (No Alissa either I noted)

My impression is Russians loves pairs, and the guidebook does reflect that.

Out of the coaches, Tat has one page, Alexey Mishin has 1.5 page, Tamara Mosvkina has 2 half pages. Interesting there's no Morozov in the coach section at all! Strange... may be that is why they TOLD him to coach more Russian skaters? And he half heartedly listens?

26. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Unlike Ando and Asada, Yuna Kim has had no associations with any Russian coaches and choreographers.

Aside from this, perhaps Yuna Kim's Bond Girl program she performed last year might have alienated Russian skating fans?

Ian Flemming created the James Bond character inspired by Sydney Reilly, who was the most notable British intelligence agent during the years of The Great Game, a geopolitical power struggle between the Anglo-American Empire and the Russian Empire that started in 1813. Many historians even consider the Cold War and current Afgan-Parkistani War a mere extensions of the Great Game. Flemming himself had been a British Agent, and most of his works portray James Bond outflanking Russians across various strategic regions of the world while vying for resources such as petroleum and gold. To put it shortly, James Bond might be regarded as a super hero in the Anglo-American dominated regions of the world, but Russians might see it as image of hostility toward them.

Although Yuna Kim's Bond Girl SP was entertaining, I was never crazy about it knowing the program's historic background and how it might leave less than pleasant feeling among groups of knowledgeable people. I wonder if Yuna Kim had been aware of such historic background before she decided to perform to it.

Could someone with Russian background share your thoughts regarding this matter?

27. Sylvia

Huh?

I think some of you are reading far too much into who was included in/excluded from the 2011 Worlds program book.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Program book stuff prompted me to ask, but I had been curious for some time about what Russians think about Yuna's Bond Girl program.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Please, let's not turn this into another deranged Yuna thread. :scream:

As for Morozov, I think that Gil-Galad's diagnosis of narcissistic personality is spot on.

30. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I don't mean to hijack Morozov thread to a Yuna thread. To me, having to mention these two people in one sentence is somewhat of a nightmare.