Nikolai Morozov Interview Article

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Thanks Sylvia. Interesting to read between the lines.

3. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

"Usually her exhibition I make in one or two weeks and her free program I make in two or three days."

:D

At least, he is honnest.

4. senorita

senorita New Member

Valentina Marcei went to who now? i didnt know she left Morozov, or Morozov left her?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Marchei has gone to Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen at Detroit Skating Club -- see the Italian news thread for article links (posts #19 & 20): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79001

:D

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ugh.

7. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

That quote is amazing and horrifying at the same time.

8. skfan

skfan Member

if miki does her jumps she will win anyway? huh? even if yeonah and mao also land their jumps (with correct edges, no deductions)? *rolls eyes*

i think miki is capable of more. i'm tempted to say with morozov having this attitude miki will stagnate artistically, but miki's actually still growing in her presentation skills so i really can't fault him too much.

still, it's perturbing to hear he puts less effort and time into her competitive programs than her exhibitions :( and what is his grudge with the japanese fed? i know daisuke said very nice things about morozov even though they had parted ways, and oda has a family he wants to be near now, so of course he can't follow morozov to russia...

9. Eris

Eris New Member

I dislike the style of his interviews so much. Seem like nothing offensive, but... After reading I want to forget it.

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Amodio needs to attempt a quad to land a quad. Morozov says he has 4T and 4S so seeing him try to do one of them in a program would be good. He did bring up Brezin falling twice and you need to be able to do all the jumps you plan when you add a quads but still he could try one. Even if it results in falls or pops or problems you are not going to go anywhere with the jump if they are just stored away for the time you really need them.

I don't know if he was really indicating he would have a better Russian male skater than Gachinski by Sochi. Is that what he was saying? Or was he just saying Gachinski should improve his skating skills and it was just advice or was it a "join me" message!

11. senorita

senorita New Member

I believe he has some juniors, does he have also Bush, or Urmy does?

oh thank you, I hadnt seen it, she didnt stay much in his team, did she?

12. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

three years...since 2008

13. maureen_diffley

maureen_diffley New Member

He does say the most astonishing things at times.

But perhaps what sticks out the most is that his "parasitic word" is "really". But maybe that's a logical parasite to have, when people must constantly think you didn't "really" mean to say what you just said....

14. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

I didn't appreciate his jabs at Adam Rippon.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I must say that even though Morozov doesn't really put any time into Miki's programs, her short program was pretty artistic (for Miki)
    If he only spends a day on her free, does that mean he spends a couple hours doing her short?

16. skfan

skfan Member

zhulin did the same thing, jabbed at lang and tchernyshev saying (paraphrasing) they left him and accomplished what? i think many coaches do this--not an admirable practice but it just shows nobody likes to feel like they've been dumped. doesn't prove that the student was in the wrong to leave.

adam has a good chance to thrive in detroit and have the last laugh.

17. query5

query5 New Member

nice article,
    glad he helps to dispel the rumors/what not.

good job.

18. os168

os168 Active Member

To be fair, even if he spent weeks, it would have made NO difference... this is Miki! :shuffle: :slinkaway

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Yup, that's Morosov talking. :rolleyes:

20. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

She may not be your cup of tea, but Miki is a beautiful skater. There's no need to put her down.

21. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

He wants to train him as well so he can be listed on his bio, but his choreography would improve.

22. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I do believe that you can best enjoy Morosov's interviews with a version of the DSM IV next to you...
    I mean, there is nothing wrong with a little narcissism. It makes for great interviews. And it can get you far in life - case in point: Morosov.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

So would his skating skills. Morozov skaters learn to glide.

24. senorita

senorita New Member

Wait, I m solving the equation:dog:

25. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The most telling part of the interview was his statement that he'd studied the judging criteria. He has. And his choreography earns points for his skaters. V/T said he was very helpful with them. I don't find his signature moves entertaining, but apparently a skater with the skills to back up the choreography is doing what the new system dictates.

I wonder how lucrative the Russian fed is making this for him. They clearly feel he's capable of producing winning skaters in all four disciplines. I don't blame them. They've got the talent to sweep (if Plushenko stays healthy) the OGMs and I'd do whatever I could to help that talent to stand on top of the podium.

26. os168

os168 Active Member

It is hardly a put down, and you know I am right. She might have spent weeks on refining programs in the past, but this year's fast food program that took literally no time to create or thought out is her most successful in years in terms of medals. What that says about state of current figure skating? The program lacked in inspired moments for me personally, and it is technically monotone without spark. In Morozov's words more or less, it made no difference, and he is absolutely right.

Has her artistry improved? Perhaps? Is her an artistic skater? Not by half? Is she a great athlete? Debatable - she is a consistent Jumper. Has her team strategised her tactics to win well? Absolutely.

As long as she tick all the boxes even skated conservatively - she scores points. Her programs on the other hand is totally forgettable. I was there at Moscow watching both of her performances live, and all I can think of is how small the jumps are, the uneven pace of the program with parts that are almost at a stand still as if she is catching her breath for the big finish. The program was conservative and the performance was dry. It is like going to a very expensive restaurant with all the trimming and settings there, but having very bland soup with tons of butter and no flavour.

I have a great memory, but I have to be completely honest, I totally don't remember any of it except coming away thinking, picking the soundtrack to the Mission is the smartest decision Morozov has ever made. The whole music is like a romantic fog, perfect to hide away any deficiencies Miki has as a performer, which is her lack of musicality and expressing beyond what is on paper.

Her Ex Gala on the other hand was pretty good, her best performance by far I have ever seen. I think she was inspired and it clearly showed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:rofl: What a moron

28. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

What about Terminator Yagudin?

29. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

That is also how I understood that the matter was... And Rippon did not take OrserĀ“s advice about off-ice training. Anyway, we will see how Rippon fares in coming season with another coach.

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

He must help Plush too!!!!ROTFL