Nikolai Morozov cheer thread?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Have Steuer or Vasiliev date any 17-18 year old students?

2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Don't know whether Steuer or Vasiliev dated any 17-18 year old students. But if Steuer really started dating Aliona soon after she came to Germany, it somehow seems to be much worse than whatever Morozov does, because Aliona would be dependent on Steuer much more than Elena can ever be dependent on Morozov. If Elena split up with Morozov, her skating federation would very likely try their best to support her (considering that they have been No2 dancers). Whereas Aliona had no support of her federation, was completely dependent on Steuer, alone in foreign country, possibly without being completely fluent in the language...

3. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Aliona was mature enough to leave Ukraine on her own in search of a partner. She was the one with experience and solid results (with S. Morozov whom she was also involved with, he left her for Tatiana Volosozhar).

I personally doubt Steuer lured her to Germany to have her under his wing and extort her.
    She was already mature enough (by that I mean in years) and had guts and brains to pull herself together to find a partner of her abilities. Besides, Steuer does not have a track record constantly being personally involved with his students as he coaches them.
    Maybe Elena will be the greatest thing that has ever happened to Morozov and him for her. Who knows. That does not change the fact that she was underage and he was in a superior position of power.

Morozov was also involved with Elene Gedevanishvilli.

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You can be old enough, mature enough and still completely dependent on someone. E.G university professor and his students, or employer and employee... The difference is that if you employer is unfair, you either change the job or take him to the employment tribunal. If you are in a different country, on your own, without proper knowledge of language, you have only two choices- either endure it or go back home. going back home would count as a failure, so you might be in a position of enduring whatever comes. Being completely dependent on other people. No matter how old and mature you are. So I would still argue that Steuer was in stronger position of power towards Aliona than Morozov is towards Elena.

5. IRIS1975

IRIS1975 New Member

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^ Awww, that's a nice daughter-father pic.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I was going to say that it looks like take your daughter to work day.

Also: this is on her Instagram.

8. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

I find Morozov creapy as hell. I would never put my child, no matter boy or a girl, under his coaching. I think he affects his pupils also mentally. It's terrible to see some of his pupils at the K&C so devastateted. Amodio, Leonova, Ando, Fernandez; they all just looked so exhausted mentally sometimes. I would really like to know what kind of mental training he uses to them.

Plus, the way he touches them in the K&C makes me feel sick. If that is what he does infront of the cameras, I wonder how far he goes when they are off.

9. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Just peeked into this thread for the first time. Somehow I had a feeling it wasn't going to cut the mustard as a cheer thread... esp. after 4Cs.

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I just don't like his choreography. He choreographs for a lot of people, and it is always populist, and often veers into vulgar. Dai's Techno Swan was the last program that was also a work of art. Well, OK, to be fair- I can take his programs for Volosozhar/Morozov. Oda's Chaplin was good, too. But what he habitually creates for Amodio, Leonova, Voronov; what he gave for the last two years to supremely talented Ilinykh/Katsalapov is consistenly low- brow, consistenly cookie- cutter. Every choreographer have ups and downs- I looked at Lori Nichol in a new way for her programs for Carolina and (sometimes) Mao.
    I believe Morozov has some very effective training techniques, but is also extremely manipulative ( he sites it as a neccesity in one of his old interviews). Maybe it is. Whatever. Just come up with something interesting that is not intended for a cheap shock effect- like I/K's "Help me, he's been shot!" or the worst Ave Maria screech version evah. Or Amodio's lyrics and hip thrusts or Voronovs Soccer or Kovtun's 'Murka" ... and I'll forgive you. Dai's new SP does not make me feel interested either- and with the skater of Dai's caliber it's just a crime.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  11. sequins

sequins Active Member

:lol:

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Actually, I do like some of his choreography. I liked Takahashi's Swan Lake, I liked Miki's Requiem (though more the exhibition version rather than the SP version), Ilinykh and Katsalapov's Ave Maria and Schindler's list, Cohen's Moonlight Sonata (especially the version for exhibition), Volosozhar-Trankov's Black Swan...

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I hate to say it but if I had no idea of their relative ages and their professional relationship, I would say they make a really attractive couple.

14. Zemgirl

Ilinykh and Katasalopov were coached by Zhulin through the end of the 2010-11 season, and he was the one who had them skate Schindler's List.

My reaction to the competitive programs you mentioned have ranged from disinterest to :scream:. I did like some of Morozov's work under 6.0 (e.g with Yagudin when he was Tarasova's assistant, and The Matrix was a great fit for Joubert), and a couple of the galas he did. As an IJS choreographer, he represents almost everything I dislike about the system with few of its positive to compensate.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, everyone likes different things. If everyone liked the same, all skaters would be skating to just one type of music and it would soon get pretty boring.

16. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Erm....isn't that mostly what happens ;)

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Is according to you everyone skating to the same? So does that mean that you are seriously consider the same Virtue and Moir's FD to Illinykh and Katsalapov's FD? :lol: (I didn't think so!)

18. Zemgirl

Oh, I like a lot of different programs and musical styles. I just don't like the programs you mentioned ;)

I think these two blogs posts kind of cover what Ant was referring to :D

He can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I knew there was dislike for him here but until this thread I didn't know why. The word that keeps popping my mind is serial:
    serial laziness when it come so choreography, serial dating (pupils-marriage too) and serial drinking and spouting off. I would not want my child anywhere near him for a number of reasons.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  20. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

To be honest I was just making a bad joke, but given all the complaints about the warhorse pieces of music, I think plenty of outside observers would think that figure skating music and performances are all much the same and truly original choreography and music are pretty rare.

I don't watch ice dance at all - I find it all boring and samey :shuffle:

21. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

I wish he could fix Leonova's seriously cheated and flawed triple flip. I cringe when I see it. While I find him a bit icky, and don't always see the value in his choreo, his place in figure skating is warranted and clearly the Russian Federation has placed a large amount of faith in him. It will be interesting to see how his skaters fare collectively in Sochi. And "hooking up" in skating happens ALOT. They kind of live in a bubble and it's almost inevitable in a way. It's almost never a good idea though.

22. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Is it true that Morozov lives in the same house with his pupils? I read this on one gossip forum.

23. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'll take Morozov's stuff over the rehashed generic crap that Zoueva throws out.

As bad as his stuff can be at least I remember it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Well, Schindler's List was created by Zhulin...

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be honest, so do I. As much as I love the skills of Virtue-Moir and Davis-White, there has been only a few programs of theirs I liked, whereas from Morozov I like the programs more often. Although I mostly agree with other people's opinion on his personal life, I do think that professionally he is pretty competent.

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Cheer thread? I cheer when he keeps his pants zipped. :lol:

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I never enjoyed his dancing that much, but I liked Denkova for being the one who delivered that petition to the ISU declaring everyone in the ice dancing competition thought Galit Chait's bronze was bought. That took some guts, and she did it with a smile.

I remember the women at worlds, especially the Japanese women, going crazy over Staviski. What about his dancing made him great among the male partners? He was fast and strong, but he was also bulky and short.

2002 Worlds Ice Dance Scandal

2004 Worlds FD Denkova & Staviski

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

For me, personally, Staviski had an extraordinary presence and upper-body expressiveness that none of the men post-Gwendal Peizerat had. I can't really explain it, but he just exuded something special and was extremely musical.

Even when I caught clips of some lame Russian reality dance show (where the male skaters were paired up with ballerinas), Staviski stuck out among the men. Roman Kostomorov was pretty stiff and boring to watch (just like during during his competitive days on ice).

29. winterchik

winterchik Member

was or still is !!!! Rumors that at Europeans they were caught doing the "deed" .I'm sure more will come out soon enough

30. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

Although I never liked D/S,I always thought Stavisky was an excellent dancer.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013