Nikolai Morozov cheer thread?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Feb 7, 2013.

1. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

From what you have written here, I assume it is your impression that Ilinykh is emotionally more mature than others and that you haven't actually met her.
    When things like that are said, it is difficult to be sure weather there is "meeting of the minds". If you check out Facebook - you see hundreds of thousands of teens/young adults sharing their photos - some very private and almost nude, they write all kinds of private information about themselves; what do they do, what do they prefer - and share this with whole world.
    Ilinykh's instagram/twitter account is a good example of this. If I remember correctly, her facebook and formspring were very informative and showed her as a girl very much unaware of her surroundings.
    This does not make her mature. She was/is acting immature. And while her attraction and interest in an older guy is explainable - Morozov behavior is inappropriate, to say at least. He is a successful man when it comes to his career, he is also 3 times divorced father of a young girl. While this is not important to skating, it is to his personal relationships with his students. And the fact that Ilinykh was underage and in inferior position, it only makes this hole situation more disgusting.
    There are very good reasons behind policies of teachers not dating their students, even at universities, where students are over 18.
    While Ilinykh's behavior can be understood with her immaturity and youth, Morozov is like a character from a cheep novel when it comes to women or girls in his life...

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. os168

os168 Active Member

Well if your are aka Morozombie then big cheers for you. Morozov himself then a big sheep like Mehhhhhh ~~

As much as my distaste for his personal life which I try to not dwell or pass judgement (but it is hard to avoid on these boards especially with all these depressed Miki tweets, and that horrible interview he gave a while ago that seems to show he is a heartless douche). My biggest gripe with him is these lazy trite work these past few season that moonlight as best COP programs out there that wins competitions. These are thematically modulised, cookie cutter formulas that structurally similar from one to the next while being thematically and artistic false, all appearance and no substance. Pick an obvious theme, make some references, while everything is the same as another. He makes it easy to spoon feed the judges because of the ticking COP boxes appeal to a mid level of generic and safe approach that is easy to digest without being challenged or offend too much. However this is far from an honest way to conceive or craft program from scratch, where original creative ideas, experimentation, challenging, risks, depth of realization that goes into convey new thoughts and ideas to push the envelope.

How many of his programs would you really want to replay over and over again? Anything fresh and new? The thing is he is not without talent, but the fact he seems to have lost motivation to working hard to create something new and challenging does annoy. Actually - I wouldn't have minded so much, but the fact this approach continues to wins competitions shows the fault of COP and sport fairly well. Where difficult, thoughtful, challenging, intricate and risk taking work continues to be undervalued, in favour of something generic, formulaic, safe, mass appeal because they are much easier to read - that get to win. Not because of superiority and quality but because they exploiting the system well and took advantage of the rules and trends. Is this good enough of an approach to define the world's bests?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Some of it is covered in this article.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Some of us have had reason to be nauseated by His Oiliness even before the infamous TEB incident. It's not necessarily a bandwagon.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate? :watch:

6. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nope.

7. skateboy

But, if one can say that Morozov did his best work under 6.0, could it not be argued that this is due to the specific demands of COP, especially if his programs win competitions under the new system as well as the old?

8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a choreographer who does nothing but good work, but we have seen programs that were interesting and creative under the IJS. Just not from Morozov - that is, I think the last program he did that was original and generally well-regarded among fans was Dai's Swan. He choreographed that in, what, summer 2007? I can't think of anything particularly interesting he's done since then, and because he works with a fair number of skaters in all four disciplines, you can't get away from his programs. They are successful IJS in the bad sense of the word - they tick off the boxes - rather than the good, which is integrating difficulty into a strong program in an organic way (e.g. much of Steuer's work with S/S). So no, I'm not going to blame the IJS for Morozov having become a hack. I mean, Nichol turns out quite a bit of cookie cutter stuff, but her work for Kostner is usually very good. Wilson's programs go from meh to fabulous, but the fabulous ones really can be special (e.g. Takahashi's Garden of Souls). Marina Zoueva doesn't always have the most original ideas, but some of the programs she does really are special. Whereas with Morozov, paint by numbers has been the high end of the scale for several years.

9. skateboy

I've watched Oda's Chaplin program over and over. In fact, I just watched it again yesterday and still love it. I think it's the best program Oda's ever had--definitely fresh and new and perfect for him--and, IMO, it was the best men's program of the 2009-10 season.

As for others, well... I rarely watch any program over and over again, with the exception of some of the great battles/rivalries from the past. :)

10. skateboy

Can't agree with you on this one. Morozov works with many skaters at the lower levels, as well as elite skaters.

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Wasn't Aliona Savchenko in relationship with their coach too?

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Do you happen to follow figure skating, rayhaneh? ;)

A certain recent five-time Italian National Men's champion has been married to his coach since 2007.

13. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I am sorry - I happen not to care very much for the skaters' private lives and forget these things about has soon as I hear them :lol:

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

deleted

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Was she his coach when they became involved? Either way, the power dynamic and age difference do strike me as being quite different than what we've seen in Morozov's case.

ETA: looks like she only started coaching him some time after their marriage.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

According to this article, Geraldine Zulini began coaching Samuel Contesti in 2004, about three years before they got married. As far as I know, at various times that they worked together, he also worked with other coaches, such as Peter Grütter and Didier and Claudine Lucine. I remember seeing Contesti sitting in the Kiss and Cry with both his wife and Grütter at one or more competitions. I am not sure, though, whether Contesti and Zulini's personal relationship before or after she started coaching him. I have always been under the impression that the personal and professional relationships sort of developed at the same time.

If I recall correctly, they are almost exactly the same age, and the he is eight days older than she.

It's a very different dynamic from that of Morozov and any of his recent girlfriends.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

So what about Savchenko and Steuer?

18. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, they dated on and off. That one was squicky to me, especially at the beginning, because I got the sense that he was not only her coach, but she was relying on him for everything. She was new to the country and navigating the language, her citizenship, getting funding and a job, all in addition to her training. Ingo is also renown for his temper. Woetzel (who also dated him) has talked about it and S&S have also noted that training sessions can be explosive. My hats off to them for managing to be so consistent and professional despite the drama.

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ What, were you their housekeeper or something?

The fact they have been in an off-ice relationship is well known, and the fact he's her coach is legendary and iconic. What that has to do with Morosov's dating habits is nil.

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I've got no special sources, so anything I've said was previously discussed on FSU.

21. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yeah and it may have cost them the OGM. They broke up some time around the 2009-2010 season iirc and it messed up their training dynamic for a while.

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Part of what "cost" S/S Olympic gold medal was Shen/Zhao return to the ice, and the fact S/S were not at their best during the Olympics. On-ice/ off-ice intimate or otherwise relationship dynamics are always difficult whether between skating partners or consenting student and coach.

Again, none of the above related to S/S and Steuer has anything to do with Morosov's dating habits.

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

What I mean is that what caused S/S not being at their best was Savchenko and Steur's breakup.

24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I remember Moskvina joking that when she married her coach 'it wasn't called sexual harassment back then' or something along those lines!

25. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Haven't gone through the whole thread, but I think many of us saw that practice session with Dai and there Morosov look pretty freaking fantastic. He's done some crappy choreography, but he's got to be doing something right if all these great skaters continue to seek him out.

That wasn't Michelle Kwan! That was the year USFS put all their support behind Imelda Marcos and she bribed Chris Dean into lending his good name toward her world domination efforts. I clearly remember that was the case :lol:

26. bek

bek Guest

Love this thread. I remember thinking what would FSU do without Morozov... He's like the entertainment that keeps on giving...

Personally sometimes I think relationships happen even between coach and student...Not that its right.. I think the age does matter. A 24 year old dating their coach isn't the same as an 17/18 year old IMO...

However, the icky thing about Nikolai is how habitually it happens. It seems like Steur has dated one of his students. But Nikolai and Oleg they make a habit of it... Same goes for dating the boss etc... One thing if it happens once, but when you have a habit of dating those you have that kind of power over.. I really do think there's a problem.

As for the Poor Shae Lynn. Didn't she get involved with him when he was married; I'm not so sure why anyone should feel sorry for her. I say poor wife (and mother of his child)... Who knows maybe they were seperated (although this Catholic says still not good)

Miki though I think was very young and he was I believe not married at the time, so I do feel for her. Especially since I've heard Ando is a very sweet girl.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, someone above wrote that among current figure skaters there are no relationships between coach and students, except of Morozov with Elena. I mentioned it to show that actually there are other couples (or ex-couples) out there. Another one was Vasiliev with Mukhortova. So it is not that rare.

28. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Vasiliev was with Totmianina before.

29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

How can you be so sure that Steuer dated only one of his student? I think he dated only one we know about, but there could have been many more we don't know about. They may not have been elite athletes, or did not have such results that we would take notice... Saying that Steuer is better than Vasiliev and Morozov because it happened only once does not seem to make sense.

30. bek

bek Guest

True but the other coaches are openly doing it all the time... But your right there...