Nikita - Season Two

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 24, 2011.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I thought season one just got better and better as the season progressed. Great characters, well-paced and every episode was enjoyable. I like shows that challenge me and I have to admit that enough happened that I'm confused as to where we left off...!

So I'm reviewing with some help from the imdb episode list. The summary of the last episode:

Michael is completely anti-Division now, right? I did not remember about him being trapped inside Division... (Doh! Pay attention, PeterG!!!)

And Alex will be back with Nikita in no time, right? RIGHT??? :drama:

I was thinking that I want to see a lot more of Devon Sawa (Owen),
    but according to the message boards at imdb.com, he will return only as a recurring character.
    More info (and hot pics) here:

I'll take whatever I can get!!! :lol:

2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Do you know when the new season starts? My dad started watching that show, and he really got into it, but I think that is the only time he watches the station it's on, so he wouldn't see the preview commercials for it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

The first episode of season 2 aired yesterday. Nikita is now shown at 8pm on Fridays. I think the CW updates their episode gallery over the weekend at the latest, so it should be up soon.

It was such a wild season premiere in a good way; good pacing and continuity from the season finale. There's a whole lot of excellent character moments; particularly for Nikita, Alex, Birkoff and Percy.

4. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

Indra, I agree -- I LOVE the new Birkoff and the possibilities it brings for Nikita and Michael!

5. Civic

Civic New Member

Those of you who watched the original series back during the 1990s. How does this new series compare to it?

6. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Personally I think the series with Peta Wilson was darker and more menacing, but it is also set at a different point. It starts like the movie with Nikita in training etc. and eventually wanting to get out with Michael.

For those of you who don't know, the Amanda role was played by Alberta Watson, who is the one doing most of the speaking on the oversight committee in the current series.

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'd agree, the first series seemed darker and Division seemed more powerful. Michael also seemed more "serious" - this Michael doesn't seem as dangerous.

But as Skate Talker pointed out, we were looking at it from Nikita's position inside and under the control of Division and not as an independent force fighting them.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I have come to love Nikita. I have never seen the original recipe, but I find the show pretty grim, but I like the humour and humanity. And, sorry, but Percy is so hot in his white jumpsuit!

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

If you like this series, you should try the dvd's of season 1 of the original. I think the current Nikita does a good job, but the atmosphere is very different.

10. Civic

Civic New Member

So is the current series a sequel of sorts with Nikita now out of Division One and fighting them? If so, is the character 10 years (give or take) older than she was when the original series ended?

11. Skate Talker

No - I would put Peta and Maggie's characters at roughly the same age. And no matter how hard I try I could never see Maggie (short, dark and Asian-American) as a later version of Peta (tall, blonde and Australian Viking). :lol:

Oh and imho if Pet's Nikita managed a successful escape from Division she would be getting as far away from them as she could, not trying to seek revenge or right the wrongs. The Division in that series was far too powerful for her to consider that and she was too smart to think it would make any difference anyway.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

In theory yes, but as Skate Talker says, it's hard to see the two series as really following one another. It's easier to think of them as just two separate series and just enjoy each in its own way.

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

This is my favorite new show, though seeing as how it's going into season two, it's not necessarily new anymore. I used to watch the old Nikita which is why I started watching this one.

I definitely love this version more--probably because I was only in 6th grade when the other one came out and could only sneak and watch it when my parents weren't paying attention.:lol: I was really surprised by how good this new one is! I expected it to be your standard assassin out for revenge tv-based drama, but there were a lot of twists and turns that I didn't see coming and that really got me interested in the story. It's pretty much my favorite show right now (until Psych starts up in a few weeks). I bought season one and am rewatching it even though season two has started.

I'm glad it's been moved to a different night and I'm also glad it seems to be retaining it's audience. I was worried for a while there that they were going to cancel it. I like the writing and the action is really good b/c McG is one of the exec producers on this one. He did all of the Charlie's Angels movies which were very corny, but still had some pretty good albeit a little unbelievable action in them. There's no wire work in Nikita (thank god) but all of the action sequences are still really good. I'm a sucker for strong women kicking ass, so this is definitely my kinda show! :D

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My first thought of episode one was, "Gosh, Maggie Q is hot! But so tiny!" I realized I totally...what's that phrase - suspend disbelief? The show is really well done, but when she takes down a six foot tall, 200 lb. dude... :D

Second thought: Biker Michael? :swoon: :grope:

Third thought: Melinda Clarke is freakin' amazing as Amanda! :respec: One question though, Amanda talked about the "mess" that Percy left us with. I remember Percy trying to make a deal with...the CIA? Where he had tons of control, but remained in the background, unseen. Can't remember where that went, and what the mess is that Amanda refers to... :confused:

Wonder if the Sean character (played by Dillon Casey) will return. He is HAWT! He's only listed as doing one show at imdb.com, but maybe it hasn't been updated. I googled him and found that he's done a "Living In L.A." video series that are quite funny. And you get to look at him, sometimes half-nekked...

Living in LA With Dillon Casey: Episode 7 Gay Day!

Casey was also on the Vampire Diaries:

Damon, Stefan, Elena, Noah: Unpleasantville Clip 17

I also liked the new Birkhoff, didn't like how he got treated and wished Nikita hadn't called him "nerd". Was cool to see him spout off at Amanda near the end of the episode! :respec: :lol:

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Maggie Q needs to win an Emmy. I'm sure she is able to play one of those boring but articulate and passionate lawyers, blah, snore, if the Entertainment industry allows her to. But can I see Julianne Margulies taking down a bunch of Venezuelan men with guns? Uhm, no.

Solid episode tonight. So, Owen is working for Ari Tasarov, eh? Destory all the Black Boxes and then kill tea-lovin' Percy. And what is Percy gonna do with all that Earl Grey?

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I really liked the scene of Alex and Nikita in the ballroom. Checking each other out...and then working together to save a life. :respec: And always great to see Owen back... :swoon:

For a moment it was sweet that Birkhoff was going to get a love interest. I would have loved that! But when she started spouting out all her interests, which matched Birkhoff's so obviously, I knew something was up... :wuzrobbed

What was up with the evil Doctor and his henchmen having Nikita on a table...and not tying her up?? Silly bad guys, you never learn!

But I am really not liking the way they treat Birkhoff. He supplies brains, money, computer intelligence and a place for them to safely live. They're pretty much useless without him. Yet they treat him like an imbecile. I'm wondering if the writers want it to come off as teasing, but it's much to harsh to be taken that way. The actor portraying Birkhoff plays it like it's much more than that (which it is). Nikita and Michael are basically bullying a**holes, which kind of goes against their hero roles. Confusing!!

Then later, Nikita says to Owen, "if you ever need anything..." Doesn't Nikita and Birkhoff have much more of a history together? Didn't Birkhoff have unrequited feelings for Nikita before? And now she treats him like trash? :confused: How could someone be so mean (even if you didn't like the person...you are using...) Plus Michael and Nikita kissing in front of Birkhoff...in his own home. That's just too much!! :mad:

Towards the end of the show, when Sean told Alex to "take the shot" in regards to Nikita (so as to save her from limitless torture if/when she gets caught) - I thought that set things up well to pit Alex against Nikita, if only to save her from harm...

NO!!! Owen is a good guy who is only pretending to be on Ari's side!!! (Please!!!)

Good with me!

:soapbox: Ms. M. can do anything!!

17. Indra486

The thing with Birkhoff is that as much as he is teased/bullied, he's a bit like Percy in that he loves himself quite a bit. So he takes the bullying while brushing the dust off his shoulder because he knows Nikita and Michael will eventually turn to him for help. It's that knowledge that satisfies him. :lol:

The mess that Percy created was turning Division into a mercenary program, taking on side jobs that weren't sanctioned by the US govt. Division was originally meant to be sort of an attack dog. Of course, he took those jobs to maintain a healthy supply of recruits since Oversight cut millions from his budget (as a way to keep Percy on the leash). He made a move on Oversight because his attempts in getting the budget back up was foiled by Nikita in episode, "Phoenix," and the black box situation happened to go down the path that made it possible for him to negotiate with Oversight in the last two episodes of season 1.

Um... yeah, I might be a tad obsessed with this show.... :slinkaway

18. Skate Talker

Don't loose hope about Birkhoff and the girl. They way they had her saying she didn't remember anything hit a note with me that maybe they mean for her to say that merely to protect Birkhoff, Nikita, and Michael's secrets. Obviously they were way too open with her revealing their base of operation etc. That was just a pretty big hole in the story line. These guys would surely be more careful about letting her see everything in the first place, never mind letting her go back as if she was fully trustworthy. Anyway we may see her back yet.

19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

:rollin:YAY! Nikita tonight!!

20. Indra486

Did anyone else catch tonight's episode? I think it's the best episode since the premiere, granted all of them have been good but this one stands out. It's so well written with Nikita and Alex's storyline's woven together excellently. The writers are doing a good job balancing both Nikita and Alex with their strained relationship. I also like that there's more of continuity with this episode from the last.

My biggest fear for a show like Nikita is doing monster-of-the-week plots since there was quite a few episodes like that last season and while the episodes were intriguing, it could have been used more wisely (eg: The Recruit episode, where Division finds their new cleaner and he hasn't appeared since then)

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:cheer2: Of course! :D

It seems to me it's a given that Nikita and Alex will be best buddies...at some point. I liked that with this episode, we got to see that could well be the case, rather than just something I hope for! :lol:

I liked tonight's episode and thought early on that the ex-partner was going to be another person to add to the team. Which would have made it three males and three females (well, when Alex re-joins the team). Oh wait...is Owen working for one of the bad guys??

22. Indra486

I thought her ex-partner could have had a spot in the team but as the episode went on, I was taking bets with my viewing buddy on who was
    going to be axed.
    :lol: and well... I lost.

About Owen ... yes and no? It's another shining example of Owen's lack of planning. :yikes: I could see why he was a cleaner and not a field agent during his time.

He has a separate business arrangement with Gogol to find all the black boxes, kill the guardians and Percy but he is also working with Nikita at the same time. His only agreement with Ari is that Ari stays the hell away from Nikita or else! I think the motivation behind the deal is that Owen is frequently traveling aboard without any resources (which Gogol could supply) and the guardians fled their current locations since the imprisonment of Percy.

Seeing as the writers have been good with pulling out shockers and how the new Oversight guy has been promoted to regular (whereas Devon Sawa has not), I'm nervous for his character. Of the younger male characters, Owen (next to Birkoff) is so much more fun.

23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So what's with Percy's glass cell? To humiliate him by giving him no privacy? Is there a toilet in that well-lit cell? :)eek:) Or is he so dangerous that he needs to be visibile from 360 degrees??

And what about Amanda's spitefulness? :mad: Having that agent killed just before Alex and Sean are ready to save her? Wow, don't mess with Amanda!

Wondering if Nikita will tell Michael that Max is his son. I understand Cassandra wanting to keep everyone safe. But I don't think secrets are good to have, they come back and bite you in the butt eventually. Plus they can put a divide between people, and I don't want to see that happen to Nikita and Michael. So I'm hoping Nikita finds a way to let Michael know, and that trying to have a relationship with his son could put them all in danger...

Final thought: is something brewing between Alex and Sean? I hope so!! He's hot and Alex needs some lovin'! :D

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Did anyone see the Lifetime movie "Five"? It was five separate but interrelated stories about people diealing with breast cancer. Alex was in one of them as an exotic dancer who is worried that her husband (a small time mob enforcer) won't want to be with her after surgery. She did a good job in the role.

25. Indra486

Humiliation is the best revenge. :EVILLE: Amanda would have had him killed and dissolved had Michael not ran off with the black box after the season finale. Since the box is in the hands of Nikita, Percy had given orders to the remaining guardians to flee their current locations and are MIA. Since Percy has a photographic memory, Amanda needs to keep him alive to get the info on whats in the box out of him.

I think it was more strategy. Amanda purposely made the guy angry so he would kill the agent and it would inspire Alex and Sean to kill the general as Amanda originally planned. Alex was asked to assassinate him but refused which was why the agent was sent in Alex's place. :yikes:

:lol: News outlets reported that he was a potential love interest for Alex when he was casted, so maybe! It's hilarious because he is the second male character introduced to the story that had some personality and motivation after Owen. Ryan and next-door-neighbor-Nathan were brought into be love interests for Nikita and Alex, respectively but both were poorly written and poorly-received by fans.

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

OMG, my head is spinning. Nikita rules! Amanda wants to take down Oversight? And Sean is the Senator's son? I wonder who the dad is in all this.

Gaines also played a sleezy stockbroker type on Revenge. Obviously, the actor has found his niche.

Fantastic episode.

27. Indra486

Best ep so far! It's hard-hitting on the character development for the core characters. While Michael has a point, I can't really stand his character. I was never too crazy about him even in season 1. Ryan Fletcher remains as Nikita's best male partner and I'm surprisingly glad that he was around (wasn't too crazy about his character at first). It would have been Owen if he wasn't such a dudder-head sometimes. :lol:

I don't think there's a single core character where we've meet both parents. We've met Nikita's foster dad and saw a pic of her foster mother, Alex's dad and mention of a mother, Sean's and Ryan's mother. In fact, even with side characters and guest stars, they're mostly single parents. I don't think it's strange since it often traces back to fairytales where one or both biological parents are gone as convenient plot devices.

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I was wondering when Sean and Alex were in the park about whether Sean was a double agent. Looks like he's a good guy. I still want him and Alex to live happily ever after and make gorgeous babies. Which probably means he'll die sometime this season... :( However...

...I thought, "Ryan can't be dead!!" But when Nikita went to visit his mother, I thought, "crap...he's gone..." So I was surprised to see him in Amanda's lair. Perhaps Alex will find out about Ryan being alive and get word to Nikita.

As for Alex, I'm not sure why she has been given so much leeway within Division. Especially when she is so forward in stating how she is not with them. Is it because she has a tie to Nikita, who Division wants to take down? Any other reason Division has taken it so easy on her? Of course now Alex is on a very short leash of Amanda. (But Alex has escaped from Division before, right?)

29. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I missed something. At the park bench with his mother (the first time), he said he was out, and he started to make a call on his phone. Then we see Amanda in her office able to hear the conversation. Did Sean call Amanda and intentionally let her hear the conversation? Or are we to believe that she bugged him in some way and he wasn't aware the Amanda was listening in?

So glad Ryan is still alive. I loved how he explained his process is simple - he finds the answer, passes it onto Nikita, and she find the bad guy and kicks butt :)

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I can't figure out if Sean is lying to his Mom, or to Alex. I fear he's faithful to Momsy and is using Alex. But I want them to be a couple, so I hope I am wrong.

Funniest line of the night goes to Birkhoff (surprise, surprise). When he's on watch to see what's going on in London, he comments on Max's soccer game by saying, "...and Max just scored a goal at soccer. Holla!!" :rofl:

I wasn't sure why Cassandra's handler decided to use violence in his interrogation of Michael. I get that the handler wants to know who Michael is and why he is involved, but Michael has only helped Cassandra, he has caused no harm to anyone. So why start with the violence?? :huh:

My favourite behind-the-scenes player of the week. Shane West's tailor. I have not seen pants fit someone so well since Jeremy Abbott. :swoon: :D

Couple of things in regards to Max. First, when Cassandra and Michael go for a walk, they talk all kind of heavy-duty stuff with Max right there. Yes, he won't understand most of what they are talking about, but kids do pick up on some stuff, even if some of it is just about the tone of voices. He'll sense that there's problems and dangers. It's not right for adults to do that to children. Plus, at the end of the episode, Max hugs Michael and says he will miss him. Guess they spent more time together than the few awkward minutes we saw them share??

I assumed he wanted Amanda in on the conversation, although I'm not sure why. But this show is complex enough that I'm confused often. :lol: I'm more into relationships of the characters rather than the plot/espionage details.