Nik Wallenda's tightrope walk over Niagara Falls

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Badams, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

2. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

there has been all sorts of rumours about financial concerns.. also annoyed people because the sponsors or authorities are requiring him to wear a harness and the tradition of the infamous Wallenda tradition is to always do it without but apparently he has no choice..:blah:

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's not happy about the harness. But since they aren't having much luck actually getting the wire across the falls, I'd hate to think about the struggle to rescue him if something went wrong!

4. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

but would make for interesting viewing :shuffle: :rofl: actually i would make it part of the deal that there is no rescue - as seriously not fair to put lives at risk.. hence I think he should be allowed to go with no harness.. not that I think I could watch though :eek:

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Let him go without a harness--if he dies he is doing exactly what he wants to be doing when his life ends. He knows the risks more than anyone. If he does proceed he should make it clear that he does not want rescuers to put themselves in harms way to save him if he falls since he made the decision not to use the harness. Now will the rescue crews obey?

6. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The Falls area search and rescue teams are excellent, by sad circumstance.

7. duane

duane New Member

I still remember Karl Wallenda falling to his death back in 1978. Not at all interested in seeing this.

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember the horrible fall (while he was part of the 7-person pyramid) more than a decade earlier which killed 2 members of his family and paralyzed another. :(

9. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the documentary about the guy who tightroped across the World Trade Center Towers? It won an Oscar in the documentary category a few years ago.

At one point, he even started dancing on the rope! :yikes:

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes, that was Man on Wire about Philippe Petit and it was a very, very absorbing documentary. His actual walk across the WTC towers was astounding, but all his preparations and the logistics of actually setting it up were fascinating as well.

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Man on Wire was great. And that guy is bonafide crazy. I can't imagine doing that. He was up there for what, 40 minutes or so? Yikes.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As am I.
    I understand the tradition of which he is a part; still, I prefer not to watch, if he attempts this.

13. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

About an hour and 15 min and he's going across, anybody watching?

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I just don't know if I can watch! :scream:

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I'm watching. But I will change it if anything goes wrong. I honestly hope he's successful and accomplishes his dream.

16. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Is that cable attached to him enough to keep him alive in case something goes wrong?

17. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Yes. The sponsers made him wear it. Holy hell...he's into the mist. Goodluck to him!

18. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

My husband has it on right now. I want to smack the commentators. They are just filling dead time and trying to make it more suspenseful. STFU :rolleyes:

19. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

It's amazing, seeing him up there so tiny compared to those falls.

20. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Yay! He did it!

21. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We were at a circus where small circus performer kids fell and were paralyzed. Our youngest was about six and fortunately couldn't figure everything out.

22. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Oh my God that was stressful! I was just at the falls in May and just standing NEAR the horseshoe part was powerful and overwhelming! What an amazing (and maybe slightly stupid :lol: ) accomplishment. Good job buddy and thanks for not falling!! ;) :cheer:

23. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Remarkable! He made it look so easy.

24. Gazpacho

:( Were they permanently paralyzed?

This is awful to say, but I didn't watch the Niagara walk but probably would have watched if it had been untethered. With the tether, the only thing on the line (pardon the pun) is his reputation.

For the record, I am VERY VERY GLAD that he was required to wear the tether. I am also very impressed that he can walk a rope like that with the wind and water in the background.

But there's something about Philippe Petit's clandestine not-made-for-TV stunt that makes me like Petit more than Wallenda.

25. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

That made for intense viewing. But, wow, he really did make it look easy. With all the water on the wire when he was in the "wet zone," I can't imagine how he had any traction on the wire at all. I think that was the part where he was doing the most praying, right?

Very happy that he was successful and made his dream come true. :cheer2:

Oh, and I was glad that ABC made him wear the harness .. it would have been just too awful if he had fallen to his death in front of his wife and children.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Not that I ever wanted him to fall but what is the point of doing this if he is wearing a wire? It just doesn't make sense. It feels like airing the practice runthroughs at the Olympics only and then doing the competition in secret. When they decided to make him wear a wire they should have decided this wasn't worth putting on television at all. They should have done it on a tape delay so they could cut out if something went wrong.

27. Gazpacho

His shoes were specially designed to give more traction on wet wire.

Part of me was actually hoping he'd slip--with the tether of course--so people wouldn't be tempted to copycat him without a tether.

This isn't the documentary that won the Oscar, but it is a very interesting clip about Philippe Petit's World Trade Center tightrope walk.

28. duane

duane New Member

I think Karl Wallenda is turning in his grave. Death-defying acts are what made the Wallendas, and being tethered isn't death-defying.

29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

It was either go across tethered or don't go at all.

30. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm glad it was that way. What if he really had fallen? Do however many millions of people watching REALLY want to see someone fall to their death? WTF? I'd be traumatized.