Night owl? Early bird? Fly on over and perch in here.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Apr 28, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Came across this article about sleep patterns being related to hormones: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...ool_should_start_later.html?wpisrc=most_viral

As long as I can remember I've been a natural night owl. I can stay up comfortably and be very functional until about 3 a.m. or later, provided I can sleep in until about 11. Which of course rarely happens anymore. Conversely, waking up earlier than 8:30 is torture even if I go to bed early and get the same amount of sleep.

When I took all day tests in grad school, my test scores rose steadily as the morning progressed. IOW, I am zombie early in the morning. I think it's genetic--my grandmother was one. We would stay up laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate together and watch movies when I was a kid on summer vacation. My son is a natural night owl too but finds it a lot easier to wake up early, especially if he has something exciting to look forward to. A good friend is an insufferable early bird, all perky and chipper at 6 am, a zombie at 10 pm.

What about you? Thoughts on this? The article?

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Your grandmother was a zombie!?!?

3. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm a natural night owl. I hate getting up early, but of course, the baby decides 6:30 or 7 is perfect. I miss it when he'd get up at 9! ;) At least he naps a lot. Kid loves his sleep. I've always been a horrible sleeper who preferred staying up late.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Only in the mornings. :D Otherwise, she was a doctor.

The baby is still young and may change his mind as he gets a little older. There's hope yet.

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Wow, mine was just a monster. :drama:

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am a night owl and always have been. I slept until noon today, as matter of fact, and I will probably be up until 2 or 3 tonight. I get very tired around 8:30 on most night but by 9:00 it has passed and I am wide awake and have tons of energy. Often I want to get cleaning and household chores done after 9. This is one reason I am happy to be a teacher, I can at least enjoy my summers and be on, for me, a more natural sleep schedule.

7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I actually don't know what I am. It seems that as long as I get around 9 hours of sleep I can do both.

8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm naturally a night owl. I hate getting up early, but alas I must be at work by 8 am on weekdays. When I feel the most productive at work though is after lunch, and I generally only feel really awake after 10 am.

Today I woke up just a bit before 10, and ended up taking a nap between 12:30-3:30. I'll probably go to bed in the next half hour to hour.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am a night owl. I go to bed very late - sometimes as late as 3 am, but I still get up early because I have to be at work by 8:30am. Does that make me both - night owl and early bird?

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

It's 12:40 am and I'm about to finish writing for a website, edit an article, go for a run with the dog and then do weights. Does that give you an answer?

Its strange but I really think my creative and energetic peak arrives somewhere between 11:30 pm and 2 am. Sensible bed times make me cranky and unproductive. Thank god I do all my work freelance.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm definitely an early bird.

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm naturally a night owl, but getting up early doesn't bother me that much. I'm up super early for work twice a week. I live.

Of course, left to my own devices, if I have no work, I'll be in bed at midnight and up around 9am. That's perfect for me! Sleeping until 11 or later usually means I'm ill!

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm an early bird. The problem is that if I have trouble sleeping at night, I still wake up early in the morning automatically. My body can't adjust itself to sleep in late if I go to bed late.

14. Ageless

Ageless Member

I'm an early bird married to a night owl.

15. quartz

OMG....I can only dream of getting that much sleep.
    I average about 5-6 and that is often broken. It takes me a good hour to fall asleep once I go to bed, and then I often wake up after 2 or 3 hours and can't get back to sleep. I seem to hit the deepest part of my sleep when my alarm is going off. I am usually in the middle of a dream, and the alarm disrupts that and makes me very disoriented.

16. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Same here. It was a big problem for many years. Now that we are retired, and he has an old man's bladder, there is not such a discrepancy. I still need about 9 hours sleep and manage to get that every night.

As an early bird I am up at 7 to feed the animals. They encourage me in this, so don't really have a choice. I get all my chores done before noon. After supper I do nothing but watch TV or surf.

17. quartz

I am a night owl married to an early bird!

18. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I need around 8.5 to 9 hours of sleep to function at my best and stay healthy.

I hate that I chose a profession and live in a culture where this is considered a moral failing.

19. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I am an extreme morning person, and often wake up at 430am. I often try to sneak off to bed as early as 630pm, usually it's 800pm. My husband is also an extreme morning person, it's a match made in heaven. My parents and grandparents are/were the same way.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

How do you guys manage when you are an early bird married to an night owl or vice versa? My husband used to be a night owl as well but he has to be at work fairly early and so converted to a reluctant early bird. My son woke up at 9:20 am today. :cheer2:

Oh and

NIGHT OWLS OF THE WORLD, UNITE! END THE OPPRESSION OF THE EARLY BIRDS (WHO RUN THE WORLD)!!! MAKE SCHOOLS HAVE 2 SHIFTS, ONE FOR THE EARLY BIRDS STARTING AT 7 AM AND ONE FOR THE NIGHT OWLS, STARTING AT 1PM.

:mitchell: :lynch: :drama:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'll gladly join in! I'm a serious night owl that if I have a early appointment in the morning, I rather choose not to sleep at all. Such a work :drama:

22. quartz

I like that my husband goes to bed earlier....gives me 2-3 hours to myself where I can watch what I want on TV, do my journaling, snack without sharing, drink that extra glass (or two) of wine without being asked, "you're having another glass??" I am an introvert and I like my private space.

23. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Night owl here but forced into the early bird world. OR cases start at 0715. I'm at work around 0545.

24. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I'm a night owl ... who got a job working from 6pm - 2am. Heaven! I usually try to go to bed between 4-5am and wake up ... WHENEVER I WANT MUAHAHAHA.

However, it doesn't make it easy to do "normal hours" stuff, like going to a bridal shower at 11am, or adjusting when on vacation. Usually the first day is terribly sleep-deprived delirium and after that I'm fine.

25. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Natural night owl here. I stayed up until 2am even in middle school, which made waking up for school torture. :lol: But I always wake up after a little bit of time. Definitely never fallen asleep in class.

Actually when I'm deep in a project, I definitely prefer working super-late. For the past couple of days, I've been staying up until 6am and waking up at noon. :eek: I've turned into my sister's bf - he's a programmer and apparently it's not uncommon for programmers to keep those kinds of hours! :lol: Alf bucks the trend though. He's a super-early bird, and has actually gotten up before I've gone to bed lately. :eek:

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I have usually been at my best between 6 PM and 2 AM.
    However, I have learned to accommodate the schedules of "early birds", out of necessity.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I get my second wind at night and live to regret it in the morning

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a night owl. If left to my own devices, I'll sleep from around 2 AM to 12 PM.

I know lot of people complain that working makes them wake up early on weekends, but I woke up at 11 AM on Saturday and 1:30 PM today. I've never, ever had that problem. I am terrible in the mornings.

29. quartz

This is me, exactly!

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Here, here, here. I'm a serious night-owl and always have been. That was one of the reasons I chose to be self-employed and since my work pretty much allows me to the work the hours I choose, I've become even more of a night-owl. I got in the habit of reading to deal with being awake in the wee hours of the morning and I can read until 6 a.m., then get up at 1 or 2 pm. Like l'etoile, I will stay up all night if I have to do something early in the morning - though that rarely happens.

I'd really like to push my sleep patters back a few hours because handling stuff that needs to be done during daytime hours is a challenge. And changing time zones is a challenge, especially because I live on the west coast.