NHK Trophy: Biellmann's FS 1980 Vs Kostner's LP 2010, who wins?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bardtoob, Oct 23, 2010.

NHK Trophy: Biellmann's FS 1980 Vs Kostner's LP 2010, who wins?

1. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9116NA2Hys"]Denise Biellmann (SUI) - 1980 NHK Trophy LP[/URL]

42 vote(s)
    84.0%
  2. Carolina Kostner (ITA) - 2010 NHK Trophy LP

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Denise all the way!

3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Denise, for sure.

Gorgeous spins in the middle.

Love the zillion music cuts.

BTW, did *every* freeskate in the '80s have that techno "Firebird?" :lol:

4. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I love how the japanese commentators eagerly anticipate biellman spin:lol:
    I keep forgetting it used to be a thing of rarity.
    Another vote for Denise btw.

5. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

My vote is for Denise!

6. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

IMO, Denise was one of the best free skater of all time. If she had competed under IJS, she would have won almost everything during her career. She was way ahead of her time capable of landing beautiful 3Lzs, which our current world champions, neither in ladies or men's discipline, cannot buy to land.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Denise.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, almost every program at NHK would have won, at least technically. Anyway, Carolina's skating is different. She has so much speed, power, lightness. Her SP and LP at NHK were really well choreographed !
    I can't vote !

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree that Denise is one of the greatest free skaters ever. Had she stayed in longer or had it not been for figures she would be the dominant skater of the 80s and not Witt, and one of the dominant skaters of the late 70s too.

Kostner is one of the most overrated skaters of recent memory. I can hardly think of any important medals she won I thought she deserved. Biellmann is superior to her in virtually every aspect- jumps, spins, spirals, choreography, musicality, and of course consistency. And her basic skating is excellent and close to Kostner's as well.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think any of the top skaters from the 80s could've won the SP :shuffle:.

11. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Uhh, since when can Daisuke not "buy to land" a lutz? I understand Mao, since obviously that's her absolute worst jump, but Daisuke has a very nice Lutz.

12. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

It's no point trying to mumble with rumble :confused:

13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

There are girls in novice that have better jumps and choregraphy in their programs than this event.

This season has been so uninspiring for the ladies. If I were to be on the international scene much of the music that these ladies have used this year would be the last I'd pick.

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Ouch at the voting results thus far - 30 year gap!

That's equivalent to Evert beat Wozniacki.... which probably would have happened too ;)

15. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: This season? It's been one, albeit a miserable, event. I think I would hold off the doom and gloom at least until the GP series is over.

16. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Go and take a look at the protocol sheet of 2010 OG Mens free skate. It's the only event in my recent memory where his flutz was judged reasonably.
    If you are really interested, compare his flutz with some of the junior ladies who get dinged for flutzing. You will get the picture.

17. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Eville poll. Caro will recover ... girl has one more great performance (with content) up her sleeve.

Er, but I voted Denise (clear "win") for this one. :lol:

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Haha, true. But is easy for me to get in the mode when the previous World Champion is lost and the Olympic Champion is M.I.A.. I am sure the field will pick up and the GPF will have some good skates.