NFL thread. Because I feel so lost without one!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Badams, Sep 6, 2012.

1. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think the players' collective bargaining agreement probably doesn't allow for them to sit out en masse.

It would be interesting to see some kind of coordinated action, however, like maybe every team doing a kneel-down on the first play of next weekend's game.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The only thing that will move them is hurting their pocketbooks but we know it's not going to happen.

3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Looks like the lockout is over!!

Refs Due Back Thursday Night (ESPN Article)

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

"The call at the end of the game was totally right!... in other news, we coincidentally solved the lockout!" Mhmmm.

5. Vash01

If something good came out of something bad- at least the NFL felt the pressure to end the lockout soon.

OTOH I am wondering if the outcome of this game will hurt or help the teams involved at the end of the season? One win/loss CAN make a difference in the NFL. Seattle could edge out my Cardinals for a wildcard spot, or Green Bay could lose their home field advantage in one or more of the playoff games- it may even lose a wild card spot. The only way to avoid that kind of situation would have been for the NFL to admit the mistake and reverse the outcome of the game that was already over.

6. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I wish they could reverse the outcome--it would be unprecedented, but the NFL has already admitted that the Packers should have won based on the fact that offensive pass interference should have been called. :wall:

I'd be fine with a tie at this point. :slinkaway

7. Vash01

Typically the NFL and even the teams don't argue too much about a PI toward the end of the game; it's often a subjective call and it's non-reviewable. What made a lot of people irate was not the PI call but the refusal of the NFL to admit mistake on the actual catch at the end. The Packers player clearly caught the ball with two hands, came down with it, held it close to his chest while the Seahawk player was only keeping one hand on the ball, and trying to pull it away from the Packer. It was not a simultaneous possession; many experts have said that, and yet the NFL said in its statement that it was simultaneous possession, instead of admitting that the officials made the wrong call, even after reviewing that play.

A tie will not be fair either, because GB clearly won that game. If the Seahawks player had 50% share of that catch, I think the only complaints would have been about the PI non-call, and there are plenty of those even by regular refs, particularly on a hail-mary. This call was so blatantly wrong that the NFL should have at least admitted the mistake, even if they did not change the outcome of the game.

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:wuzrobbed:

9. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Buffalo?

10. milanessa

Yes X 1000. :wuzrobbed:

11. galaxygirl

Sorry. :(

12. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:wall::fragile:

13. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

you'd think we'd be used to it by now.

14. milanessa

It doesn't hurt less, though, does it? :(

15. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Awww, I thought the Giants would pull it out at the end. Oh well. It's probably better (considering recent history) for them to get off to a slow start.

16. Vash01

17. jenny12

What an incredibly horrific night for Tony Romo! :yikes:

18. Vash01

It was unbearable to watch. I changed the channel. Are the Cowboys really this bad offensively or are the Bears really that good? In the 3rd Q, after the Dallas defense gave their offense ball on the Bears' 35 yd line, the very first pass by Romo was intercepted. Truly disgusting.

19. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I guess he was doing his Jay Cutler impersonation.

20. jenny12

Yeah, although it looked like Jay Cutler did his own Jay Cutler impersonation when he was ignoring his offensive coordinator on the sideline. However, that probably was the best game he ever played. The Dallas Cowboy's weak-sauce defense probably had a lot to do with it though.

The Bears are quite good defensively, but usually their offense holds them back. Cutler did well last night, but I'm not confident he can keep it up.

21. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

The NFL's 300-Pound Fashion Victims
    Nike's New Form-Fitting Jerseys Make Big Guys Feel Tubby

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578032580348686340.html

:rofl:

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

These guys think that because they are professional athletes that they aren't fat. :lol: You are still fat, you are just supposed to be fat and are probably in much better shape than most people of your size.

23. milanessa

:wuzrobbed

24. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

My Niners are certainly SUCKING today! grrrr

26. jenny12

Yeah, they've been playing so well, I was surprised to see that kind of game. I'm not surprised that the Giants pulled out a win consider they are the defending champs, but I didn't see today's game coming at all.

27. Vash01

This was a bad day for all the teams I was rooting for.

The Cardinals played horrible in the second half and lost to lowly Buffalo. To make things worse for them, the Seahawks beat the Patriots.

The Cowboys played very well, but lost the game to the Ravens (without Ray Lewis) when a golden opportunity was presented to them toward the end. Once again, poor clock management at the end.

The Houston Texans, who I recently adopted, had their first loss of the season. Nothing to be ashamed of when you lose to the Packers, but they were blown away.

Now I have to wait until the next week. Will it be better?

28. galaxygirl

This game is painful. My poor babies. :(

I'm watching at my mom's house because I don't have cable. I told her my boys weren't doing well and described what happened. She said that maybe I was rooting for the wrong team. Obviously not a sports fan. :rolleyes: I told her that the Broncos could lose every game from now until the end of time and they would still be my boys.

ETA: That comeback was :grope:.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  29. jenny12

:D Spoke too soon!

Peyton Manning has been great in second halves. However, they need to stop getting behind so they don't have to dig out of these holes anymore.

30. galaxygirl

My boys. :swoon:

Yeah, I'm not sure my heart can take it. :D

Also, Elvis is in the house. :)