Next Iron Chef - Battle of the Divas, um, Super Chefs

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 31, 2011.

1. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Zakarian isn't as much of a jerk when he's on Chopped, but this Super Chef competition has exposed him to the world. Girls? Really Geoff???

2. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:cheer: Whee for Elizabeth Faulkner for pulling off the upset in that final challenge.

I'm rooting for her or Anne.

I think Alex lucked out with the "storytelling" part of the challenge, however. It didn't seem like the judges were very enamored of her dish. I get that was part of the "challenge," but I don't think that is something they really consider very much in actual "Iron Chef" judging. :shuffle:

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I was sure would be "out" after her mishap in the kitchen.

4. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I thought he was an a** on the Chopped episodes where he was competing.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3319337&postcount=248

5. RoseAugust

RoseAugust Member

Zakarian is my favorite judge on chopped. I really like him. However, I'm rooting for Anne.

6. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for Anne - big fan. She is my kind of cook, although it took me awhile to get use to her crude way of speaking. :lol:

I did buy her cook book :swoon:, a book to have if you are a fan.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Me too--I the think Alex is relaxing a bit (she is so tense on this show) but was a bit surprised that she was not in the cook off. If I have to be honest Zakarian always makes these elegant little dishes that seem Iron Cheffy even if they don't exactly fit the theme. I remember his brunch at the ball park when he was in the bottom three and yet one of the judges said it was the best dish he had tasted. If you just go with the ingredient I think he is strong. But I want a woman to win dammit!

8. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

True. How many times in these cooking comps have we seen savoury chefs break out in a cold sweat when they have to make desserts?

9. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

10. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for one of the women to win this. As much as I like Faulkner, I was surprised they took her over Samuelsson seeing as how he won Top Chef Masters. You could almost see that same argument cross his face when they told him he was out. "But...but! I won TCM!"

11. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

But Faulkner shouldn't have been in the bottom to begin with. They all liked her dish. It wasn't even her story, it was the delivery. I'm pretty sure I've ranted about this before, but I'm going to do it again. I don't care about the tale. I'm way past the age for Story Time. I understand that you have to talk on a TV show, but I don't want made-up schlock all the time.

It's not like you go to a restaurant and say, well I did think the lobster ravioli was overcooked, obviously frozen and the sauce tasted like Bourbon Street after Mardi Gras, but now that I know this recipe helped save Timmy in the well, it's my favorite dish EVER.

I want Chiarello gone, like yesterday. Then Zakarian. Zakarian's such a hypocritical ass, especially given how he reams cheftestants on Chopped for not following his rules. :blah:

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I want the guys (and their egos) out too.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Well I am not watching any more.

14. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

Damn :(

15. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I am glad that Chef Faulkner won the challenge! Amazed that Chef Chiarello made a good lobster and risotto in 25 minutes. But Guarnaschelli has the hardest job with that lamb!

Bummed about Burrell going home. At this point, I really only want Chef Faulkner to win. If Guarnaschelli won that would be okay.

16. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Alex was always my favorite but it is clear the others see her as the weakest link of the four remaining chefs. Bummed about tonight's episode.....wanted to see the "girls" win.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  17. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed

Judy Joo's obsession with Faulkner freaks me out.

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was feeling the same with Michael Symone (sp?) and Zakarian.

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I really dislike Burrell so no complaints from me. I hate her dopey look, her stupid hair, and fugly ridiculous skirts. Her comment about Faulkner bring a pastry chef and not cooking real food shows off her attitude behind her phony aww shucks persona. Chef Guarnaschelli's response to Burrell's comment about Not liking the look of Faulkner's dish but hoping it tasted good not bring true last episode was spot on.

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I love Anne Burrell, but I thought it was perfectly clear, even before they announced who was going home, that Zakarian had the superior dish. No complaints from me. I hope either Falkner or Zakarian wins the whole thing.

21. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I must have missed that - what happened?

I've been pretty ambivalent about Burrell, but her comments on Falkner were just rude. :blah: I'm not a fan of her hair either. But last night they showed an unfortunate shot of her head, more or less from above. Poor Ann has really thin hair, so I have some sympathy for her on that.

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

There is a double elimination next week.
    My goodness, could there be a Chiarello vs. Falkner finale?

23. RoseAugust

RoseAugust Member

I really started to dislike Falkner last night. She came across to me as super arrogant.

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Even if it seemed like poor sportsmanship I like how honest Anne was regarding Falkner's entries week to week. I don't agree with her and she may regret it now but I'm glad she said what she thought.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Zakarian and others have been honest too but have been criticized as well.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This was the first episode where I noticed a bad attitude from Chef Anne. She made some snarky comments that I had not noticed from her and she was acting quite childish during the judging with her arms folding and a clear pouty face going on. I wonder if many of her comments were recorded AFTER elimination. I think they do most of those after the challenge and judgement. She may have been bitter and upset, although that is no excuse. The one thing I can forgive her for is I felt her comments about Falkner were kind of an "enough is enough" comment. She has continued to do dishes that center around her pastry chef background and you can't be Iron Chef Pastry and expect to be of much use all the time. Falkner may be proving her wrong on that but I didn't feel like Anne attacked her at every turn like Chef Zakarian has been doing.

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is a dynamic on this show that the chefs may feel they are superior to the people judging them. I'm not sure---just putting it out there....

28. ilovepaydays

Did anyone else watch "Chuckmas" on The Cooking Channel tonight before Next Iron Chef. It was fun to watch! It will air again at midnight and I am sure again before Christmas.

In Chef Faulkner's & Chiarello's defense - I think scallops are hard to get just right. I like them seared but it is the one seafood I am afraid to make because I think they are too easy to overcook.

Chef Zakarian won the challenge and is in the finale! Chiarello is going to the secret ingredient challenge against Faulkner. Guarnaschelli finished last and is going home.

29. ilovepaydays

The secret ingredients are Keebler Town House Crackers and Entwine wine! They must make three appetizers and each must use a different cracker flavor.

I think that Chiarello's apps were too much alike - and I wasn't a fan of all the crumbles in the bottom of the glasses.

Thinking Faulkner did a better job of making distinct apps. She was thrilled that Simon Majumdar liked the curry meatballs!

Just saw the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives commercial for Guy Fieri doing a tour around Detroit with Kid Rock. Interesting.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  30. ilovepaydays

It will be Faulkner vs. Zakarian in the finale!